Nomad lifting points.....

A7DUO

Nomad lifting points.....

Post by A7DUO » Sat Nov 23, 2019 3:21 pm

Until the next batch of owners manuals becomes available... can anyone confirm the best/safe/correct jacking points so I can change my wheel set over? thanks M

Karl V

Re: Nomad lifting points.....

Post by Karl V » Sat Nov 23, 2019 3:50 pm

Here ya go fella.

image.png
image.png (1.41 MiB) Viewed 628 times

A7DUO

Post by A7DUO » Sat Nov 23, 2019 6:43 pm

Once again - many thanks, legendary advice and knowledge on the Nomad from you is most appreciated. I will fit the 18" wheels with Avon ZZR's I also got with the car to use on road while in Kent and to get me down the mortorway at some point. Once I go back to Powys the 15" Team Dynamics with Geolanders can go back on and will be standard 'shoes' for use in Wales :)

Thanks for the jack tips - I will find a nice bottle jack to stow-away.

I notice the US spec "Nomad Tactical" has a full high lift winch I usually associate with green laning in Land Rovers - I don't know if anyone has spec'd those in the UK. Looks good fitted to the rear bumper, but probably a bit OTT when a bottle-jack in the front boot box will suffice 99.9% of the time for a wheel change.

I will add a winch to mine in future months, as I have winch bumber and there is power connect up front all ready (and its a cool way of changing the front wheels as you detailed above :)

Thanks again Matt

Karl V

Post by Karl V » Sat Nov 23, 2019 6:49 pm

[mention]phil4[/mention] has a Hi-Lift jack on the back of his - https://www.ariel.club/forum/viewtopic. ... ck#p294923

It certainly looks very 'utility'.

Personally, I carry a couple of bottles of tyre weld, but that's because I don't have a spare wheel ;-)

A7DUO

Post by A7DUO » Sun Nov 24, 2019 1:33 pm

interesting to see thanks. I am in the process of changing over to my spare set of 18" wheels with road tyres to try. When running those, the spare wheel comes off (as I don't have a spare 18 anyway), and I too have put a can of tyreweld up front. Coming from the Caterham world with a string of Superlight models - they have the tyreweld in the back and don't carry a spare, so i am used to that.

speaking tyres - anyone know suggested tyre pressure of the 15"s on Geolanders and 18"s on Avon ZZR's respectively - currently Geolanders are set on 20 front 26 rear and the ZZRs appear to be 20PSI all round?

M

Karl V

Post by Karl V » Sun Nov 24, 2019 3:29 pm

Don't know about the ZZRs, but here's another page from the manual.

I run my 15" G015s at 20 front and 25 rear on and off road - just to help soften it up a bit for everyday potholes and speed bumps and so I don't need to 'prepare' anything for switching between the two.

IMG_20191124_151916849.jpg
IMG_20191124_151916849.jpg (1.4 MiB) Viewed 589 times

A7DUO

Post by A7DUO » Sun Nov 24, 2019 5:02 pm

Thanks - that's really handy and I suspect 17& 20 is about right for Avon ZZRs. I was surprised how low A048's run on 18" road wheels, but the rest are around what I expected to see thanks. I have now turned my Nomad into what looks more like a caged-Atom by removing the spare and fitting the 18" road wheels and tyres. I will try that setup next and no-doubt revert back to the 15" Team Dynamics with Geolander tyres before long.

A7DUO

Post by A7DUO » Tue Nov 26, 2019 12:22 pm

Nomad wheels.jpg
Nomad wheels.jpg (102.84 KiB) Viewed 534 times
Further to the lifting point info. above I fitted the road set to try and removed my Geolander spare & carrier for now - for a lightweight look and feel while on road testing for a bit. I look forward to trying it - if things ever dry out enough in future weeks (and the council don't put too much salt down on the local roads) - fussy I know, its a Nomad - but we can all be a bit 'precious' of them while they are still nearly new.

A7DUO

Post by A7DUO » Tue Nov 26, 2019 12:28 pm

My Nomad appears to have turned into more of a "caged Atom" for now, and I look forward to giving it a decent shake down (just those rubber grommets to fit to the harness eyes next to stop the annoying rattle from those, and its ready to try). I'm also tinkering with an old RaceLogic VBox Lite system (with front and rear facing cameras and GPS speedo overlay on the video) - to record every little adventure/excursion going forward. The VBox is not very hi-res by today's standards, but a handy and compact little gadget, powered by the car and records on a loop to SD card which is handy.....
vbox.jpg
vbox.jpg (1.24 MiB) Viewed 534 times
VBoxlitetest.jpg
VBoxlitetest.jpg (107.74 KiB) Viewed 534 times

A7DUO

Post by A7DUO » Tue Jun 02, 2020 2:20 pm

Karl V wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 3:50 pm Here ya go fella.

image.png
Anyone got an electronic copy of the Nomad owners manaual they could send me, it seems getting a hard copy is still proving difficult (especially as my service was cancelled in May due to C19 :( when I was hoping to pick one up)

Karl V

Post by Karl V » Tue Jun 02, 2020 8:57 pm

[mention]HenryJS[/mention] did a shout out here [mention]A7DUO[/mention].

Probably best to deal with Crewkerne direct Sir.