Driveshaft failure

Lighty

Driveshaft failure

Post by Lighty » Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:14 pm

Interested to hear your experience of this “if any”.
My Nomad has now sheared two shafts, both times in exactly the same way & the same part of the shaft.
Unfortunately I was in the worst place possible both times, absolutely miles from anywhere.
I was not ragging the car at all, although it does get driven hard on track & road, but not abused.
I was in Wales this time taking my son to the Phil Price rally school for his late Birthday present & the failure really tested both of our patience as we had no car for the weekend.
Let’s hear of your experience , as this has to be more than a 1 off.
https://vimeo.com/user1433782/download/ ... 2588ea2a63

John Scherrer
Global Moderator

Re: Driveshaft failure

Post by John Scherrer » Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:19 pm

Not heard of any failures before this - Henry may have some experience with all of his testing?

Were you doing a standing start?
Atom 3 310 Supercharged (2011), Now Sold

Lighty

Post by Lighty » Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:27 pm

Yea obviously discussed this with Henry .
My shafts have gone away to be improved, hopefully.
More info when I get them back, but unfortunately this is going to be another month from now, so iam Nomadless for the last useable bit of the year.
:'(

reg

Post by reg » Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:55 am

Did you use the handbrake a lot off road?

markwetherall

Post by markwetherall » Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:37 am

If memory serves me right. Richard Hammond on the grand tour snapped a drive shaft in the Nomad as well. Sounds very much like a weak point on the Nomad

phil4

Post by phil4 » Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:54 am

And topgear, here: https://www.topgear.com/car-news/big-re ... motorsport

"The cause: it looks like the driveshaft retention clip had pulled out when the tyre got a kick of side load from a rut, and then with the splines not snugly butted up into the housing, a twist of torque was enough to snap the shaft."

and "I phone Ariel, who tell me that given the mileage (over 12,000) and use (if you’ve seen Field Trip, you’ll appreciate it’s had a bloody hard life) they’re surprised something hadn’t gone pop earlier. "

Lighty

Post by Lighty » Mon Sep 23, 2019 1:52 pm

Thanks for the replies guys. I am aware that Hammond broke the Top Gear car, but to be fair he was driving it like a complete dick & if you keep launching a car then something will have to break .
As for the handbrake usage, this was blamed for the 1st failure & tbh since then I have only used it maybe 3 times for fear of the same issue. When used I have always ensured that the surface is very loose & so will slide easily & also pressed the clutch fully 1st.
I guess this is why it lasted longer on this shaft, who knows.
Ariel have been helpful with my issues & are keen to inspect the old shaft .
I was more interested if anyone else has had an issue.
It’s not something you would generally broadcast I guess.