Tyre grip

Karl V

Tyre grip

Post by Karl V » Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:36 pm

Good evening.

So having recently added 65 ponies to the Nomad, I've found my twisty road driving style is now less about working out if I have enough room to overtake, but more about working out if I have enough room to slow down between the overtake and corner / next car / cow in the road.

As such, I've been a bit more stampy on the brakes. The brakes are fine. I have Alcons up front and Sports on the rear and with 2.5 turns of the brake bias to the rear, I can lock all 4 wheels quite easily.

But...

The extra speed in all 4 directions has shown up some tyre slippage. Now don't get me wrong, I adore tyre squeal, especially sideways squeal, but only when I want to invoke it.

So I was wondering, has anyone toyed with slightly wider tyres? Reducing the profile to match of course.

I like my 15" wheels and I like the ruggedness of the A/T tyres. Would going from 235/75 to say 245 or 255/70 give more grip? Would such a slight change (if it is indeed slight) have too much affect on steering geometry?

Our of interest, what width tyre do folk with 18" wheels run? Is it also 235?

Ta.

phil4

Re: Tyre grip

Post by phil4 » Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:00 pm

Nope, 225/55 on my 18's.

I'm not sure 10mm would give you noticeable grip, esp at the front where they're heavily cambered... but would be more use at the rear where it's flat... perhaps go for a stagger?

The other option would be to go for a more road oriented tyre. It wouldn't fit the tough nature you're after... but could give you a lot more grip.

Personally never had an issue...but then I usually find I drive around problems, so I'm not a good person to compare :)

TBev

Post by TBev » Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:56 am

Hi Karl,

I have a mixture of sets, I originally had the 15" with Geolands which I found hard work and slightly wayward on the road (not so much oversteer as vague). I then got a set of 18" with the AD08's and these on the track and road are sublime, on the track they will eventually let go but very gradual and you can drift them easily, on the road they allowed the Nomad to be positioned on the road more like a sport car eg within mm rather than feet with the geolands. They can be argued as having too much grip to allow for some easy hooligan schenanigans. I since have another set of 18" running the 60/40 tyre. These are much better all round, have a level of hooliganism, but lots of grip and they are comforatable to drive on eg you don't massive arm muscles. I swapped the 15" geolands for the Mud slingers ready for this weekend. I have been trying then on the road with off road suspension this week and I have to say they are so hilarious. It really highlights how good the chassis is. Low grip but some how it isnt too scary. They let go with a punt of the right toe, I'm wondering if I will ever take them off again, apart from track days.

In summary if you are looking for grip get the 18" with AD08
If you are looking for similar performance to the 15" geolands but more security and better handling get the 18" equivalent
If you want to go to jail put some mud slingers on.

See you sunday.

Cheers
Simon

Karl V

Post by Karl V » Thu Aug 29, 2019 11:36 am

Thanks Simon.

I did see the BFs hiding in the background of the WhatsApp picture you sent yesterday. Should be fun!

Out of interest, are the BFs also 235 wide?

I'm surprised that the 18" wheels run 225 tyres, but I guess the 15" tyres are a lot more 'bulbous', so they're probably a lot narrower in terms of rubber on the road.

TBev

Post by TBev » Thu Aug 29, 2019 2:50 pm

Hi karl,

Yes the BFare 235/75 R15 and the 18" are 225/55 R 18.

The 18" are much lighter and easier to turn even the A/T ones, as the 18" AD08 are lower profile they mean the car accelerates even faster.

I remember when I upgraded to SC, such an amazing difference and makes the car what it should be.

Trigger

Post by Trigger » Fri Aug 30, 2019 3:27 pm

I have the 18s with the 60/40s on and its a great compromise - I actually ordered it with Ad08s but the factory cocked it up but I went with it and am happy.

I use the cut slicks / rally cross things - they are amazing on track but the arms/shoulders get a good work out !! On road (if I used them which of course I never would as they are not for road use) I 'imagine' they would give much more precise feel and better acceleration etc.

See u guys Sunday.

T