Incessant squeaking

Karl V

Incessant squeaking

Post by Karl V » Sun Aug 25, 2019 9:08 am

I've been battling a problem with bird's nests somewhere 'underneath' the car for a couple of months now.

On normal road driving, I'm getting a full on symphony of what can only be described as 'bird tweeting' from down below. It's the slight movements over tarmac as opposed to bigger suspension movements.

It sounded to me like dry suspension joints - you know, after you point a jet wash into the suspension joints to clear out mud, but could end up forcing some of the grease out too. I can reproduce it by bouncing the front or back of the car, but I can't figure out where it is coming from.

Anyway, the wishbones were stripped down and joints re-greased at it's recent service, but it's made no difference.

I'm now wondering if it is the suspension rods themselves, or the suspension oil being pumped around the reservoir.

Am I special?

phil4

Re: Incessant squeaking

Post by phil4 » Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:06 am

On the basis that moving the car like that, about the only bits that move (and doing front and back rules out a few) are the suspension bits, it has to be one of those.

If you’ve had some degreased, have you tried a spray of your fave lubricant on all others/all available?

I suspect you could just focus on one corner and be pretty sure which it is pretty quickly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

John Scherrer
Global Moderator

Post by John Scherrer » Sun Aug 25, 2019 11:23 am

On the rear bounce video at least, I'm hearing a distinctive whoosh along with the squeak which sounds like hydraulic oil passing through a valve?

As Phil says if you can arrange for someone else to do the bouncing, I'd have thought you'd be able to home in on the culprit area.
Atom 3 310 Supercharged (2011), Now Sold

Peter255

Post by Peter255 » Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:59 am

Sounds like the dampers operating to me.

Try winding it up much harder or softer and see if the noise changes
Atom 4, Clio v6, & some other cars obviously.

Karl V

Post by Karl V » Mon Aug 26, 2019 1:28 pm

Thanks for the feedback all.

I think I've found the source of the problem:

The squeak.jpg
The squeak.jpg (91.22 KiB) Viewed 1057 times

Just kidding! That's the python's dinner. I shouldn't play with food really...

Anyway, I've tracked it down to the rebound settings on the shocks. With the rebound wound fully in (I.e. - stiff setting), it is near silent. With the rebound fully loose, it is more asthmatic than before; so it is definitely the oil / gas moving about on the decompression stroke. Winding the rebound up a few notches from what I had them on (quite soft) has made the squeaking less noticeable; so a short term compromise between ride handling and sanity.

I guess I'll see what Crewkerne can advise later in the week.

Cheers again.

phil4

Post by phil4 » Mon Aug 26, 2019 6:12 pm

Wonder if you have some air in there... air plus small gap=whistle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Karl V

Post by Karl V » Mon Aug 26, 2019 6:25 pm

There's no sign of oil leakage, so could be.

All 4 do it and started doing it roughly at the same time. Does not compute...

I don't think there's anything wrong with them as such, just asthmatic sounding.

richgoflow

Post by richgoflow » Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:45 am

If you get no joy from the factory try these guys https://www.prolinx.biz/.

Never used them myself but intend to have my Foxs serviced by them when the time is due.

RIchard

Karl V

Post by Karl V » Mon Jun 08, 2020 11:36 pm

I know it has been a while, but...

The car went to the factory at the beginning of March to have a rear brake upgrade and the Fox suspension serviced.

Just got it back (long Lockdown story - glad peeps in Crewkerne are safe), and the suspension is amazing! Stripped down, overhauled, upgraded to 'Gen 2'. All the things I was hoping to achieve myself during Lockdown, but instead I ended up eating crisps and watching Joe Wicks, thinking 'Why does that man sweat so much?' and 'Why does my wife insist in watching this man every morning?'

Still running the car in with overhauled suspension and new rear brakes, but I can feel the difference already.

I may have to take up planking!

:roflp:

Anon

Post by Anon » Tue Jun 09, 2020 11:34 am

Glad you've got the car back Karl. Weather is now improving again, the weekend looks like it's going to be a nice one.

Mutley

Post by Mutley » Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:01 am

Hi [mention]Karl V[/mention] , Good to hear you finally got your beastlet back.

I certainly seemed to be a lot more chuffed with my Fox conversion when I picked up my Nomad last October than I thought you seemed when you got yours. I thought the suspension was a revelation compared to the Bilsteins, and although I would say that the suspension as a whole is not silent, it is massively quieter than before, and I can't say I have heard anyone detectable noise form the shocks themselves. So now hoping I am on Gen. 2 - otherwise will be overcome with FOMO!

Karl V

Post by Karl V » Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:15 am

I don't know what 'Gen 2' is Chris, probably a slightly rounder and blacker rubber grommet ;-)

Like you, I'm definitely loving these shocks over the Standard Bilsteins. Haven't had a single 'spring slap' and I love they way they progressively load round tight twisties.

I saw you're up for the Fathers Day meet in Winchester - I'm looking forward to catching up!

Mutley

Post by Mutley » Wed Jun 10, 2020 4:30 pm

Lots of notes to swap! I am almost drooling at the thought of inspecting the inside of your fuse box :o

Karl V

Post by Karl V » Wed Jun 10, 2020 4:34 pm

Easy tiger!

:roflp: