Wet seat advice!

Mr G

Wet seat advice!

Post by Mr G » Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:04 pm

Anyone got any advice on wet seats, is it ok to drill small holes and put in rubber grommets?
Attachments
5140810E-0AD7-4A4E-A0F0-4C9B5667FA77.jpeg
5140810E-0AD7-4A4E-A0F0-4C9B5667FA77.jpeg (2.65 MiB) Viewed 870 times

Karl V

Re: Wet seat advice!

Post by Karl V » Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:22 pm

Welcome aboard Mr. G!

Glad to see your issues are as a result of 'proper use' of a Nomad ;-)

I would say a carefully drilled drainage hole is a must. The 'standard' seats and Atom one-piece seats have them, as does the tub (one up front and one under the seats).

One hole should do and you kind of need a seat puddle to work out the best place to put it, so you're halfway there!

Not sure about a grommet though. Aside from fear of grommet-bum, surely it'd only stop the last 1 or 2mm from draining away.

If the hole is clean and de-burred, you shouldn't need a grommet. Or waterproof pants!

phil4

Post by phil4 » Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:11 am

Wow, that's a good puddle right there.

In a previous life I covered the drain hole and so had to resort to scooping it out... not much fun.

As Karl says, the standard seats have a drain hole, both the Atom and Nomad ones. I guess that gives you a few choices:
1) Drill into the CF ones - eeek!
2) Ask the factory to do it for you.
3) Buy a set of none-CF seats and store the CF ones away for sunny days/selling/when you sell the Nomad.

As Karl says, if done right, you shouldn't need any grommit or similar.

hamtt

Post by hamtt » Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:28 am

If you do decide to drill, drill with a tiny pilot hole first and go up slowly 1mm at a time drill size to get a clean cut.

If you go straight with a large size you'll just rip the fibres and have a very messy hole and probably chip some of the resin too.

Don't use a wood drill bit, the sharp edges theat point down again will rip the fibre. Use a masonry or glass bit.

If you have access to a high speed rotary tool, they're better to use than most drills, but a decent drill will still do.

Karl V

Post by Karl V » Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:45 pm

Good advice that [mention]hamtt[/mention]!

:tu:

hamtt

Post by hamtt » Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:04 pm

Karl V wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:45 pm Good advice that

:tu:
Learnt the hard way!

Also forget to mention, put on a few layers of masking tape and drill in to that. You might find the resin on the seat is too hard and your drill bit keeps bouncing off and you'll end up scratching or drilling off-centre. The masking tape will allow the bit to bite and provide a sort of collar for the bit to be guided through.

Mr G

Post by Mr G » Tue Aug 20, 2019 5:03 am

Thank you everyone for your replies, I have one of those glass drill bits, so will try later today.