Nomad R

Valey80

Re: Nomad R

Post by Valey80 » Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:50 am

CAG3D wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:44 pm Hey, when are you thinking of taking ownership of your R?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
On the phone they said March so as soon as they give me the nod I'm there!!

CAG3D

Post by CAG3D » Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:51 am

Henry would pull it forward if you wanted......

Valey80

Post by Valey80 » Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:52 am

CAG3D wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:19 pm I spoke to Henry about changing the gear ratio, as I felt it too short geared for the road, what did you think?
Where are you planning on taking it?

I saw the same review and asked the same question on ratio's for 4, 5 & 6 - discussing it in person this weekend at Ariel
As I'll mainly be road, with a mix of track days too, having it too short may get too loud although I'm demoing the press car Saturday so will be more educated at that point.

Valey80

Post by Valey80 » Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:53 am

CAG3D wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:51 am Henry would pull it forward if you wanted......

Interesting......I'll ask him Saturday! I'm fully in the position of sooner the better!

CAG3D

Post by CAG3D » Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:53 am

Yeh, I’m thinking the same.

Valey80

Post by Valey80 » Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:54 am

Corky wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:44 pm
Valey80 wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:36 am I'm based just outside Redditch, Worcestershire
Sounds like Ohlins then...!
Hi
I am from Hanbury in Worcestershire. Love to meet up when you get your Nomad R, Atom 4 on order, delivery end of the year.

Karl.
Karl that sounds like a plan - and how interesting will that be - an Atom 4 alongside a Nomad R - fantastic!!

Valey80

Post by Valey80 » Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:55 am

CAG3D wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:53 am Yeh, I’m thinking the same.

I'll feedback after Saturday on their thinking

phil4

Post by phil4 » Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:55 am

If you're both thinking of getting it in the Autumn, make sure it has a heated windscreen (or no windscreen). I'm sure that's standard, but worth checking.

Valey80

Post by Valey80 » Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:57 am

I see all the new R owners are relatively spread out - but we really should look to do a meet once we've all taken delivery - maybe even arrange a pro photographer along too? With 5 in the world that would be quite a scoop!

CAG3D

Post by CAG3D » Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:09 am

Love that idea!!! A Pro Photographer

I’m really keen to see how it feels compared to my Atom, driving them back to back!

NGoodman

Post by NGoodman » Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:16 am

Thanks for welcome. Tim glad your taking care of Atom 3.

I agree on the gearing, Henry said for track days, tarmac & B roads its better, you also get higher top speed (perfect for the track, I live close to Brands Hatch), and planing a few track days a year. I'm also member a Goodwood and always wanted a blast on their track.

I'm in for the R meet up and photoshoot, great idea.

I love the factory R chassis white colour with mustard R sticker and Ohlins. My main car is White Metallic, so might match it to that, but then I think cleaning will be a lot hassle, but tempted and get wheels matched to the colour of the Ohlins, it would certainly stand out.

Does anyone have the rear fog and reverse FIA LED lights, I was thinking of that option just for the looks as I prefer, but only seen them in one picture, so any feedback would be great.
Nomad R, 991.2 Turbo Cab, Macan Turbo and Fiat 500 Riva edition

Valey80

Post by Valey80 » Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:01 am

Colour scheme I'm really not sure yet! I have a KTM Duke 790 motorbike so I always thought I'd match the colour scheme of orange and black - the classic Ariel colours too (close anyway - red is the colour right?!) - but have to agree, the press car in white looks great - I'm hoping for inspiration on Saturday when I'm with Henry.

Those FIA lights do look cool I'll give you that! I'm trying not to get too carried away on the configuration - Ohlins, side panels and heated windscreen are the must haves, a hand brake (how is this not standard given you get it through an IVA - thought a road car hand brake was essential??), I think the front winch bumper finishes the front end off nicely (not with the winch itself though!) but I baulk at the price they put on it - it doesn't look that substantial to go into 4 figures!

Sump guard/bash plate sounds useful to have, as does the high level brake light, any other thoughts folks>??

nfcf

Post by nfcf » Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:24 am

Valey80 wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:01 am Those FIA lights do look cool I'll give you that! I'm trying not to get too carried away on the configuration - Ohlins, side panels and heated windscreen are the must haves, a hand brake (how is this not standard given you get it through an IVA - thought a road car hand brake was essential??), I think the front winch bumper finishes the front end off nicely (not with the winch itself though!) but I baulk at the price they put on it - it doesn't look that substantial to go into 4 figures!

Sump guard/bash plate sounds useful to have, as does the high level brake light, any other thoughts folks>??
Stainless steel fittings and brake lines are definitely worth getting as they are on show.

Depending on the colour I'd also get the black powder coating on the fuel tank etc. if it is still an option.

Bash plate and other underbody protection depends on where you plan to use it. If it is only a road / track car I'd not bother as you'll never see the benefits and they aren't exactly light.

phil4

Post by phil4 » Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:27 am

handbrake - that's your call. Some owners view it as technically illegal to drive round in a car that would fail a proper MOT. Some view it as not needed until MOT and some know someone who can "sort it" when the MOT comes (either by fitting one, or other means).

How is it not standard? that's the Ariel way, we used to joke about BMW and the windscreen being an optional extra... with Ariel that's the case, indeed most is. I think it's partly because it helps bring the "from" price down nicely, partly because it allows people to customise, and partly because customers vary in their needs.... why bother with a handbrake if the car won't ever go near a road, or a lights if it's only ever going on track. And that's before you look at requirements in other countries.

As mentioned above, perhaps not the bashplates, but defo the stainless steel. It'd also be good for your to talk to Henry, as the intended use/users may change things (eg. if you have lots of family members likely to drive, you may want easy adjusting seats. If you're primarily driving it on track you might want 3" 5 points seatbelts).

CAG3D

Post by CAG3D » Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:54 pm

The white frame is more expensive and Henry explained not as durable. So I need to think of a theme....