Collection, first drives and thoughts

phil4

Post by phil4 » Mon Aug 05, 2019 5:48 pm

Hi All,

I thought I'd share my collection, and first few drives experience.

Collection - It was cleaned and ready when I picked it up. A pile of wheels, spare panels, cover, recovery pack and other bits also waited, and were loaded into my Golf:
IMG_2664small.jpg
IMG_2664small.jpg (3.89 MiB) Viewed 1038 times
The drive back wasn't exactly uneventful, but nothing to do with the Nomad. I drove back with some Bose QC20's in (the small in-ear noise cancelling headphones) which made the 3 hour trek a lot less noisey.

What would I say after this first drive? It doesn't feel like an Atom at all. I'll go into this in more detail at the end.

Back home and I had to play with the lights, as you do:
IMG_2679.jpg
IMG_2679.jpg (2.36 MiB) Viewed 1038 times
As I mentioned in one of Karl's threads, when they fitted my light bar, they did the full beams on a separate switched circuit, so I have another button needed to turn them on full beam (after the other lights are on full beam):
FullBeamButton.jpg
FullBeamButton.jpg (159.59 KiB) Viewed 1038 times
I've had some fun playing with the suspension, my findings listed in the Ohlins thread: https://www.ariel.club/forum/viewtopic.php?f=54&t=17519

The kid got to see if on Sunday a few days after it was home, he thinks it looks great, we've been for a drive and he's decided he likes it better than he did the Atom. Part of this may be the fact he doesn't need to wear a helmet, partly the smoother ride, and partly he can climb into it:
IMG_2686.jpg
IMG_2686.jpg (2.44 MiB) Viewed 1038 times
Today it got driven to work, it's slightly lighter traffic as school hols, but still a pretty normal commute drive. Commuters pay far less attention to cars around them, or at least outwardly interact a lot less.... here's the Nomad at work as evidence:
IMG_2694.jpg
IMG_2694.jpg (3.64 MiB) Viewed 1038 times
Offroad? Not unless you count parking on a verge... that's to come.

Based on these first few hundred miles what are my impressions?

As I said above it doesn't feel like an Atom in lots of ways. The way's it's similar is the steering, dash, pedals and gear change... they all feel the same. But how you drive it seems to be very different.

I know the spec as I have it will be quiet heavy, but it definitely feels it. Whereas the atom accelerator seemed more like an electric cattle prod, the Nomad feels much more like you need to rev it much harder to get it to go. Of course it will go, and go quickly albeit not quite as fast as an Atom. The Noise is different too, the engine is more of a rumble, the exhaust more of a drone. Yes the supercharger squeels... but that still has to fight with the exhaust and engine sound. It's not all as pure as the Atom seemed.

You need to use the gears differently too, as Karl has suggested it really doesn't seem to like short shifting early, so 3rd for 30, 4th for 40, 5th for 50 and 6th for 60 as a rough guide is about right, change up any earlier and it doesn't seem to like it, especially 6th. I guess if you keep the revs higher it'll be more urgent, but if you're leaving a 30 in 3rd and plant it'll accelerate up quite nicely, but is far more urgent once the supercharger kicks in at higher revs (circa 4000).

Then there's the suspension/road feel. The Nomad is very comfortable. As I have it now speed humps don't need slowing down for, and rough road is fine. I might tweak it a bit for more pothole/severe bumps... but that'll be later. The Atom almost felt like it would fall apart on a bump, the clatter from the belts, suspension etc didn't help. The nomad doesn't do that. You still feel what's going on, but it copes with the imperfections much much better. It does seem when cornering/roundabouts that you need a lot more hefting to do, the Nomad feels heavy through the steering. The suspension itself doesn't seem to roll, dive etc as much as I thought it would... but it still does, and so you work through a process cornering.

2nd gear round a roundabout and prod of the throttle is enough to start the backend sliding, so far it's been ok catching it, it doesn't feel so quick that you couldn't. Pulling away and planting it also induces wheelspin (and noise), which adds to the fun.

It feels every bit as well put together as the Atom did, a real quality feel to it. Likewise with so many baubles it looks bonkers. Not pretty, but distinctive and bonkers. Excluding the commute, it gets a lot of looks from kids and adults alike, so Ariel still have that nailed. Driving it can be fun, when provoking the backend out, or wheel spinning away from the lights, or even yanking on the handbrake when stopping. People take notice then.

Visibility is good too, maybe it's because I had the belts slightly looser, but joining a DC/Motorway down a slip road, and I could turn to my right and look quite well. It was almost like being on a motorbike in that respect.

It feels a much easier car to drive longer distances, I think that's mainly a combination of suspension and windscreen. It also feels like it can be as daft as it looks. I also like that I'm not being challenged to a race every time I drive, most people seem to just think it looks cool. I think the kid thinks it looks like a life sized version of one of his HotWheels(tm) cars.

"complaints" so far:
- I got back ache after an hour and so have purchased one of the cushions Karl linked to, which makes it much better: https://www.ariel.club/forum/viewtopic.php?f=54&t=17119

- hefting a mass like myself out of it put strain on joints the like, and it can be a tight squeeze with the seats impinging at the back, and steering wheel at the front. I've very much improved my exit technique, as can just pull myself up onto the seat, duck my head under the top rail, sit on the side and climb out, whereas previously I was trying to slip all the way out... which was messy.

- be aware of the heat. In the atom there was just the fan coming on... in the nomad there's a near constant heat draft coming up from the two handbrakes... it's not the end of the world, but combined with sunlight that area got very hot to the touch.

Sorry if this seems to go on and on, it's quite difficult to impart the driving experience, and I'm not even sure I've done it justice.

Badders

Re: Collection, first drives and thoughts

Post by Badders » Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:03 pm

Great read Phil! Thanks for sharing. When we were still allowed to test drive the demo cars, I had an absolute blast in the Nomad. My Atom arrives very soon, but I'm not sure I'll be able to resist a Nomad forever.

Any pics of the dual handbrake setup? I've not seen it, and I'm curious.

Cheers

stupot

Post by stupot » Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:19 pm

Looks great and a good insight so thanks for sharing your initial thoughts Phil.

phil4

Post by phil4 » Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:21 pm

Badders wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:03 pm Any pics of the dual handbrake setup? I've not seen it, and I'm curious.
I'd be very excited if I was getting an Atom 4 :)

dual handbrakes... here's the centre console:

From bottom (closest to the camera) to top you first have the winch remote, then the mechanical handbrake, then the gear lever, and then the "hydraulic handbrake", then the fire extinguisher.

So by dual handbrakes, I was meaning the mechanical one, and the hydraulic one. The gaps you see in front of each is where the heat wafts up from when warm. I suspect if you have the mechanical handbrake on the Atom 4, you'll also get that waftage.
Attachments
IMG_2696.jpg
IMG_2696.jpg (1.92 MiB) Viewed 996 times

Badders

Post by Badders » Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:28 pm

Thanks for the snap. I love the dual handbrake setup. Ken Block, eat your heart out?

Karl V

Post by Karl V » Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:32 pm

Did you take the whip off to get it in your impossibility clean garage?

phil4

Post by phil4 » Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:54 pm

Karl V wrote:Did you take the whip off to get it in your impossibility clean garage?
Lol, yes. I did like the idea as you did of shortening it so I could leave it on, but with only 1, I wanted to make the most of it. Also only one to take off/put on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Karl V

Post by Karl V » Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:00 pm

Good plan.

I like the white writing on the tyres. I may opt for that at tyre change time. I bet [mention]GraemeW[/mention] is jealous ;-)

phil4

Post by phil4 » Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:08 pm

Karl V wrote:I like the white writing on the tyres. I may opt for that at tyre change time.
I’m not sure it’d stay in long what with all your sideways sliding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hedge

Post by Hedge » Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:17 am

B’jaysus, you’ve spec’d that car up to the hills. Not sure you could add anymore to what I put on it. Nice work.

Cheers,
Hedge