Must have options

phil4

Must have options

Post by phil4 » Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:47 pm

Ok, so I'm now in a position to buy a 2nd hand Nomad (because I'm impatient).

I've a deposit on a nice spec'd one, which I'll bore you all with later.

In the meantime what would you consider the "must have" options? I'll pay more to get them retro-fitted (if it's even possible), but equally worth knowing now.

Cheers

Hedge

Re: Must have options

Post by Hedge » Thu Jul 18, 2019 3:15 pm

Heated windscreen, for starters.

All the other stuff is v specific as to whether you’re genuinely going to off road it. And by that I mean not simply going off in a field occasionally or trundling along the odd BOAT here & there.

Cheers,
Hedge

Andrew300

Post by Andrew300 » Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:21 pm

I’ve got one for sale if your interested Phil

phil4

Post by phil4 » Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:02 pm

Hedge wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 3:15 pm Heated windscreen, for starters.

All the other stuff is v specific as to whether you’re genuinely going to off road it. And by that I mean not simply going off in a field occasionally or trundling along the odd BOAT here & there.
Heated windscreen I get, enough fun with a visor on the motorbike in winter, I can see how that would pan out. For anyone else wanting to list their essentials on the above question, assume fields and boats but with a desire to go a bit more extreme at some point. So I'd have thought the underbody protection?
Andrew300 wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:21 pm I’ve got one for sale if your interested Phil
Thanks Andrew, hope you get it sold soon, I was after a supercharged one which I seem to have found.

Karl V

Post by Karl V » Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:13 pm

What does it have / not have [mention]phil4[/mention]?

For underbody protection, I opted for front (part of the front bumper) which helps when testing if you can go down a ditch without mullering the radiator. Then the coolant pipe guards at the rear where they become exposed from the tub and finally the rear under engine guard to... protect the engine. I did NOT go for the main tub guard just because I figured if the front doesn't make it, the tub won't. Plus it looks tricky to clean behind. Did I say that last bit out loud???

That said... At Thruxton I felt a brush or two under the tub. It's made of pretty strong stuff!

Note though that they are chunky and solid plates of manly steel (read: heavy!).

I also love the rear bumper because I don't have to look behind me when I reverse now. Plus I'm convinced the rear bumper does a decent job of obscuring the number plate ::)

phil4

Post by phil4 » Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:27 am

Good points on the underbody protection. Do you know which "guard" appears up the sides of the tub just behind the front wheels? Has big holes cut out of the sides?

Bits the car I'm looking at doesn't have:
Aluminium radiator
Competition spec high strength wishbone set
rear strut brace
Master battery switch
Rally Spec High Strength Wheels

Cheers

Hedge

Post by Hedge » Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:37 am

Aside from the battery cut off switch, I’d say you really don’t need any of the other bits.

Cheers,
Hedge

Karl V

Post by Karl V » Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:26 am

phil4 wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:27 am Do you know which "guard" appears up the sides of the tub just behind the front wheels? Has big holes cut out of the sides?
That's the 'Front Suspension Box and Body Tub Guard'. The bit I haven't got.

I must admit, I did go for the larger ali radiator and the rally spec wheels, but the wheel choice was purely cosmetic.

As Hedge says, none of it is really 'needed' ;-)

Although, I've always wanted to claim ownership of a snatch block, tree strop and shackle (?)

phil4

Post by phil4 » Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:38 am

Karl V wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:26 am tree strop
A polite way of calling a tree stoppy? How odd.

Thanks Hedge, and Karl. Looks like I can focus on getting this over the line now :)

Hedge

Post by Hedge » Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:18 am

Tbh, you’ve got a mega spec’d up motor there, Phil. I know this much coz I spec’d it up! So you may as well go the whole hog & finish her off with a few more bits

Cheers,
Hedge

phil4

Post by phil4 » Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:30 am

Hedge wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:18 am Tbh, you’ve got a mega spec’d up motor there, Phil. I know this much coz I spec’d it up! So you may as well go the whole hog & finish her off with a few more bits
You did a great job Hedge! :tu:

I know some of the bits I've added are minor, and some a matter of taste, but have asked them to add:
Mechanical handbrake - for the MOT
Rear Bumper
Light bar with 4x Lights
LED Whip in Orange

and then the minor bits, high level brake light, fire extinguisher and locking fuel cap. Oh and a hi lift for the rear bumper.

Hedge

Post by Hedge » Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:41 am

Job’s a good’un, Phil. That’ll be pretty much as spec’d up as a Nomad can be.

I’ve a ton of build pics if you want em.

Cheers,
Hedge

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

phil4

Post by phil4 » Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:44 am

Hedge wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:41 am I’ve a ton of build pics if you want em.
That'd be great, let me know if you need an email address off me or whatever.

Cheers!

Phil

Hedge

Post by Hedge » Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:16 am

DM me with your email & I’ll sort it.

Cheers,
Hedge

Hedge

Post by Hedge » Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:04 am

Get bike racks, Phil. Sexy AF.