Project Baboon Bum

Karl V

Project Baboon Bum

Post by Karl V » Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:43 pm

For a while now, I’ve been trying to figure out if I could get the high-level brake level integrated into the NOMAD cut-out in the exhaust guard.

Black Exhaust Guard.jpg
Black Exhaust Guard.jpg (24.72 KiB) Viewed 1793 times

There’s not much of a gap between the rear box and the guard to shove wires and LED lights etc., as well as the issue with the heat from the exhaust pipe. So instead, I adopted a low tech approach…

Using red reflective tape, I stencilled and cut out the NOMAD shape, cutting out extra ‘holes’ to make sure it tapes down nice and tightly.

Template.jpg
Template.jpg (409.3 KiB) Viewed 1793 times

A few layers of aluminium tape to build up a heat resistance layer.

Tape.jpg
Tape.jpg (106.8 KiB) Viewed 1793 times

And finally a couple of pics with the flash on / off.

Result.jpg
Result.jpg (260.69 KiB) Viewed 1793 times

At least now if I lose the car in the dark, I'll know which Nomad is mine. You're welcome!

GraemeW

Re: Project Baboon Bum

Post by GraemeW » Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:41 am

Just as well you can’t drive that into somewhere like Kruger. The lady baboons would be all over the Nomad.

Actually would love to take a Nomad into Kruger Park. There is a group of people who go in there, who compete to see who has the most extreme safari vehicle. I’ve seen everything from heavily modified off road vehicles to dune buggies. The Nomad would fit right in there.

You needn’t worry about lions plucking you out the side of the frame. They see the whole vehicle and u as one creature and since you’re bigger they leave you alone unless provoked.

Just the baboons you’d have to worry about

Karl V

Post by Karl V » Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:58 am

As promised to a few folk yesterday, here was my shopping list...

Reflective tape (you can also get it in white, blue, yellow and lime!)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00CI6HHIM

Aluminium sticky tape

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07KQDQHC9/

Mr G

Post by Mr G » Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:39 pm

Looks great.

Alex Brandon-Smith

Post by Alex Brandon-Smith » Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:31 pm

I love this Karl. Great idea. It's thing like this that make us so unique as a bunch. Every car and owner are individual. Cracking mod Gromit
310=325! That'll be the Presidential Remap kicking in... :vroom:

A7DUO

Post by A7DUO » Tue Nov 26, 2019 12:18 pm

NomadExhaust.jpg
NomadExhaust.jpg (112.49 KiB) Viewed 934 times
Inspired by your "Baboon Bum" project (that I still think is an excellent idea in red reflective on the rear BTW).
I decided to have a go at mine using heat-proof gold aluminium tape of both sides (mainly as the gold theme matches the Ohlins dampers on my car, and everything else is black).
Thanks for the Inspiration on this and other mini-modifications Karl - appreciated :)

A7DUO

Post by A7DUO » Wed Nov 27, 2019 3:25 pm

. in fact this project reminds me of my former JPE - as that was the only Caterham made with a custom silencer guard along the same lines back in 1994 - All JPE's regardless of colour - had dayglow colour accents, included a painted alloy insert sandwiched between the stainless silence and outer alloy guard. I was surprised at the weight of the Ariel Nomad branded guard - I assume its powder-coated stainless steel, nice and strong though, but could be a 1/3 of the weight in alloy like the Caterham ones, but obviously easily damaged (
M7JPEdecaltrim.jpg
M7JPEdecaltrim.jpg (115.03 KiB) Viewed 907 times
but more important on a 7 so it doesn't conduct heat and burn legs getting in and out)