Oil Leak!

Mutley

Oil Leak!

Post by Mutley » Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:02 pm

Nomadi and Atomi. Help please! I'm blaming [mention]Karl V[/mention] for taking me over the wildest terrain that Surrey can offer on the Southern Hoon 😂. Sprung an oil leak. As best as I can see it looks like the oil cooler. Most oil seems to be on the fins - I'm guessing I took a hit from a stone. Any thoughts on: 1. Diagnosis, 2. Is the oil cooler the highest oil containing thing - i.e. doesn't require complete oil drain? 3. Repair or replace of oil cooler etc. Thanks for any advice!

Karl V

Re: Oil Leak!

Post by Karl V » Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:00 pm

How did you get on with this Chris? Any joy?

Hope you're back on the road soon.

Mutley

Re: Oil Leak!

Post by Mutley » Wed May 01, 2019 8:00 am

Hi Karl, spoke to Ariel on Monday. They suggested I de-grease the whole area, let it dry and then start her up and try to identify the leak. Which I did. All the fins of the cooler were oily while there was not sign of oil anywhere else - so it look like the culprit. What's a bit annoying is there is no sign of stone damage, I think the cooler has just failed. The car's only done 3.5k miles. They sent me a quote for a new one which didn't entirely improve my mood - over £500. But that included the full hoses which combined actually cost more that the cooler. I'll be on to them today to order just the cooler (£192 +VAT)!

Art (MudNomad) came back to me on the Facebook group. Basically he had the same issue - the cooler just sprung a leak for no obvious reason. He was obviously on some far flung European trip and got a local garage to bypass the cooler, and fitted a new one later. I was sort of tempted to just take it out as it's part of the Supercharger kit and therefore a bit redundant on my car. However, I thought it best to keep itr as per 'original'.

I think Ariel need to talk to their oil cooler supplier TBH!

Mutley

Re: Oil Leak! Update

Post by Mutley » Wed May 01, 2019 8:51 am

Just off the phone to Henry. He's sending over a radiator FOC - which is a bit of a result. No hassle, he volunteered. Can see why people appreciate the service from Crewkerne. I agreed to send the old one back so he can "Wag a finger at the supplier", so I think there's some recognition that these should'nt be just failing after a few thousand miles. With luck I'll be back on the road for the BH ;D