'Carjacked'

dunny

'Carjacked'

Post by dunny » Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:29 am

Before you ask,no i haven't!
With all this talk about tyres has anyone found a place to put a car jack in their Nomad without it turning into a sabot round under heavy braking?
I see the American Nomad has what we call a tractor jack fixed to the rear bumper.How does this work?
A car jack is a bit like a fire extinguisher i suppose,you only need one when your on fire!! :)
Dunny.

smokin

Re: 'Carjacked'

Post by smokin » Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:37 am

Have you considered an airbag jack dunny? I looked into them but never purchased

autobackup

Post by autobackup » Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:10 pm

There might be a bit of a problem with twin exhaust outlets with a airbag lift jack as the 'open' exhaust pipe would need to be blocked somehow so enough pressure could be generated through the single exhaust pipe outlet connected to the airbag
Atom 3.5R (Cyprus)
Honda CRV 2.2 Ex Auto i-DTEC (Cyprus)
Suzuki Celerio 1.0 SZ4 (Cyprus)
Honda CRV Ex I-MMD eCVT Hybrid (UK)

smokin

Post by smokin » Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:26 pm

Ah didn't realise the Nomads have two 'real' outlets - thought it was one real + one fake like the Atom 3s

dunny

Post by dunny » Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:21 pm

It’s an idea.
I have used these for lifting a lot larger objects than a Nomad before.Now you need a air bag and a compressor!!
I guess if it was an easy problem Ariel would of fitted a jack in the first place.If you are unfortunate to have a puncture at the moment you are snookered.What you need is an air bed then you can stop for snooze after the tyre change!
I will look into this,
Cheers for now,
Dunny.

dunny

Post by dunny » Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:24 pm

Smokin,
Do you have a starter for ten ?
D.

smokin

Post by smokin » Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:01 am

The Bushranger X-Jack seemed best in class (won awards) but was pricey. It's been around for many years so has been copied with some copies a third of the price (and probably a quarter the quality)

dunny

Post by dunny » Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:58 am

Everybody is up early this morning!!
Cheers smokin i have just come across the cheap version on ebay .I didn't consider using the exhaust to inflate an air bag ,i have always used compressed air or an enerpak.

smokin

Post by smokin » Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:24 am

The X-Jack and probably other quality copies can be inflated using exhaust or compressor

AlanP

Post by AlanP » Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:51 am

Regarding the exhausts, it appears that the 'sports' exhaust uses one pipe, the standard both.

A

HenryJS

Post by HenryJS » Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:54 am

Id recommend a bottle jack. Strapped to the 'upstand' underneath the spare wheel and put a wheel brace in there too (19mm i hear you ask).

You could use a Hi-Lift - they arent REALLY meant for changing wheels - its more of a recovery tool. however, they do mount nicely to the rear bumper.

here's what youd need if you went for a Hi-Lift:

https://www.arbil.co.uk/4x4/shop/hi-lif ... ift-jacks/ (get the height you want)

https://www.arbil.co.uk/4x4/products/hk ... black.html (this is to stop the handle rattling around)

https://www.arbil.co.uk/4x4/products/jp ... ector.html (optional)

https://www.arbil.co.uk/4x4/products/lm ... -mate.html (optional)

https://www.arbil.co.uk/4x4/products/tm ... t-1-2.html (to mount to the rear bumper)

https://www.arbil.co.uk/4x4/products/or ... -base.html (if you want to jack up in muddy conditions)

https://www.arbil.co.uk/4x4/products/gb ... r-box.html (a box to keep various things in, that mounts to the jack)

Arbil wont deal with the public, but we have an account with them, so if you would like a Hi-Lift, let me know :tu:

Karl V

Post by Karl V » Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:34 pm

I opted for this [mention]dunny[/mention]:

Bottle_jack.jpeg
Bottle_jack.jpeg (9.84 KiB) Viewed 1615 times

dunny

Post by dunny » Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:45 am

Hi,
Thanks Henry i didn't know there was so many optional extras for a tractor jack.I guess it helps if you are also a Landrover enthusiast as well :)
Smokin the Bushranger x jack is very good but your instinct not to buy one was correct as they don't work on splayed or round lipped exhaust system's.Also as has been said you have to block off one of the pipe's if it is a duelled system.I carry a LOFTER 12volt tyre inflator that i got from Amazon for £25 mainly because it is orange but i don't know if it would inflate an air bag.I suppose it all boils down to how much precious cockpit or boot space you want to take up.The roadside assist card would take up the least space!
Karl as ever you seem to have the job weighed up!I also carry one of these tyre weld cans with a KRONYO tyre repair set.Did you get one that does up to 18"wheels?
Right i am tyred out so i am going to put the kettle on!
Thank's for the input chaps.
Dunny.

Karl V

Post by Karl V » Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:59 pm

Hey [mention]dunny[/mention].

The 500ml can of Tyreweld squirt says size 17" wheel and up, but it doesn't say what pressure it'll give you. I guess that will depend on tyre width and sidewall ratio.

My X3 eats about 35 PSI whereas 18" tyres on a Nomad needs about 20 - 25 puffs, so the theory is a 500ml can of squirt should get you home.

That said, I've just started a project to be able to steal pressure from one tyre to feed another...

Using 2 yoghurt pots, some sticky back plastic and googly eyes, the plan is for an airline hose with a tyre valve connector at each end.

Let's say one tyre is looking a bit flabby - maybe the Tyreweld has only managed to get 12 PSI into a tyre - the idea is to connect the poorly 12 PSI tyre with a good 25 PSI tyre giving me 18.5 PSI in both. Apart from making sure pressure is equal on each axle, it should be enough of a 'top up' to get me from Sainsbury's car park to Sainsbury's garage.

Whether my theory will work or not is to be seen, but at least it'll give me something to do over the coming weeks. I'm bored with picking up bits of wind battered tree from the back garden...

phil4

Post by phil4 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:13 pm

Karl V wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:59 pm it should be enough of a 'top up' to get me from Sainsbury's car park to Sainsbury's garage.
I like your idea... but rather than head to Sainsburys... why not just find a parked car on a quiet street and connect it to that. Don't recall locking tyre caps really being a big thing. And it's air... are you really stealing something? >:D