'Carjacked'

Karl V

Re: 'Carjacked'

Post by Karl V » Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:56 pm

What a cunning stunt [mention]phil4[/mention] ;-)

I've cancelled my order for a 3m airline hose and replaced it with an order for a 20m hose.

Just need to figure out where to store it now. Maybe [mention]dunny[/mention] will have some ideas...

autobackup

Post by autobackup » Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:57 pm

Interesting idea - but would suggest adding a on/off valve (possible incorporating a gauge?) close to one end of the connecting hose otherwise much of the air pressure from the 'donor' tyre might be lost before you can get the second connector on the tyre - a valve would also allow greater control!

An alternative worth considering is that if actually carrying a spare tyre - rather than having to jack the car up and change the tyre for the spare - why not over-inflate the spare and use the extra pressure - if the spare actually needs to be used any excess pressure could be swiftly dispensed with. ;D ;)

Why not go further and use the extra pressure from the over-inflated spare tyre to operate an air impact wrench for the wheel nuts!! :roflp:

Add a venturi powered expansion chamber and you could even cool the beer!! ::)

B****r it -in fact why not simply build in an electric (or engine driven compressor) and run a fridge to cool the drinks while waiting for someone to come to the rescue bearing a jack!!! :H:
Atom 3.5R (Cyprus)
Honda CRV 2.2 Ex Auto i-DTEC (Cyprus)
Suzuki Celerio 1.0 SZ4 (Cyprus)
Honda CRV Ex I-MMD eCVT Hybrid (UK)

Karl V

Post by Karl V » Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:25 pm

autobackup wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:57 pm Interesting idea - but would suggest adding a on/off valve (possible incorporating a gauge?) close to one end of the connecting hose otherwise much of the air pressure from the 'donor' tyre might be lost before you can get the second connector on the tyre - a valve would also allow greater control!
That's exactly what I have today [mention]autobackup[/mention], spooky!

IMG_20190315_210736200.jpg
IMG_20190315_210736200.jpg (3.97 MiB) Viewed 1423 times
I made it some 20 years after nearly losing my S2000 on a hard corner exit. Turns out one rear tyre was 4 PSI light, even though the local Shell garage tyre pumping machine said all was well. I'm sure tyre pumping machines are more accurate now.

I went 'dune bashing' in Dubai in 2005 and they deflated / inflated the tyres without even getting out of the car!

Come on [mention]dunny[/mention] - we need more innovation! And for god's sake, stop driving over nails ;-)

dunny

Post by dunny » Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:56 pm

What?where ?how?
Did planet Ariel get even more weird? Well you can all bu**er off because I am going to fit my car with a flux capacitor,go back to the future stick hover boards all round and laugh at you all in your Ariel MKX zimmer frames🤪

Karl V

Post by Karl V » Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:08 pm

You started this...

Because of you, we're letting down old people's tyres and making tourniquets from left over bits of hose pipe.

I hope you're proud Mr. Dunny; I hope you're proud.

:pop:

dunny

Post by dunny » Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:50 am

Let's never mention car jack's again. :wize:

mudnomad

Post by mudnomad » Wed May 08, 2019 7:28 am

Small bottle jack and a portable 12v compressor fit very nicely in the "frunk" together with a small tyre repair kit and spare fuses. I'd much rather have that than a can of goo that never works.

phil4

Post by phil4 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:32 pm

As Henry suggested a HiLift and with Salisbury coming up, I thought I’d have a go with getting one (Thanks Henry), and fitting it.

I’d strongly discourage anyone from rear ending me... it won’t end well for them.

For those going for lightness... this isn’t light. It’s very heavy.

Here’s it fitted:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HenryJS

Post by HenryJS » Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:06 pm

excellent!

that looks mean! does the metal base of the jack fit in the little cubby box? As ive always left it on mine, but it gets in the way when installing it onto the car...

phil4

Post by phil4 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:11 pm

HenryJS wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:06 pm does the metal base of the jack fit in the little cubby box? As ive always left it on mine, but it gets in the way when installing it onto the car...
Hi Henry, yes, it fits nicely in there (and doesn't take much room as sits flat). I took it off not so much as a problem fitting, but more a problem seeing brake and indicators.

I've removed the winch/clamp top end too, for the same reason, that's also in the cubby box.... needed a breaker bar to get that undone :)

All in all, yes, one mean bit of kit attached to a purposeful looking car. Love it!

phil4

Post by phil4 » Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:54 am

If you do as I did above, makes sure the jack has one of it's climbing pins locked in, I did this by jacking it up a notch or two.

Otherwise neither of the climbing pins are locked in, and with the foot removed it can slide right off the end.

Karl V

Post by Karl V » Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:57 am

Does the jack come with a wheel brace [mention]phil4[/mention]?

phil4

Post by phil4 » Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:03 am

No, but you can get a telescoping one from Amazon for very little, eg:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Draper-Redline ... 010NCWY6W/