Nomad skillz

Karl V

Nomad skillz

Post by Karl V » Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:04 pm

About 20 years ago, I made a New Year resolution to stop making New Year resolutions.

Unfortunately, this year I relented...

I'm keen this year to better understand what the Nomad is capable of and to sharpen (or should I say 'start') my personal abilities to invoke and control oversteer and understeer; reach and push limit points; find out if the Ken Block brake does anything more than assist on a hill start...

Out of interest, is anyone else out there considering a bit of driver tuition this year?

Noel

Re: Nomad skillz

Post by Noel » Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:18 am

Hey,

I am 100% but in my atom :vroom: , bought it a few months back but waiting for decent weather to come along. still got an on going oil leak since i bought it though that TDI north are still trying to find/sort, hoping its sorted before the weather comes along. i think some tuition for me would be very beneficial to get the most out of the car and myself.

Steve Gibson
Administrator

Post by Steve Gibson » Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:56 am

We're about to make an announcement for this year's Mid Summer Gas event that will give you a chance to explore 'the limits'. In Atoms AND Nomads. Watch ariel.club, the forum and Facebook for more very soon. It will be very useful.

dunny

Post by dunny » Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:48 am

Hi,
Obi Wan has spoken.In the meantime use the Force young Padawans.

Steve Gibson
Administrator

Post by Steve Gibson » Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:56 am

If you strike me down, Dunny Vader, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine.

dunny

Post by dunny » Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:37 pm

:fence:
Oooer, I appear to have misplaced my light sabre ;D I did intend to say something sensible but it takes a great deal of effort and several cups of tea!
Karl i have been looking into a bit of tuition myself. Knockhill is my local racetrack and they do tuition but it ain't cheap at around 150£ an hour!
Another thing to think about is unlike our Atomic brethren we have offroad capabilities and if your like me you need some help here too!
Anybody reading this who hasn't taken delivery of their car yet also needs to bare in mind that the current record from collecting your new pride and joy and crashing it currently stands at 11 miles. I think Ariel needs it's own test track........
Dunny.

GraemeW

Post by GraemeW » Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:55 pm

Karl I’m looking to put together a performance driving day in the spring or summer. Early days yet. Will let you know here on the forum if we can set it

Karl V

Post by Karl V » Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:56 pm

Thanks all.

I think I'm interested in the 'car control' elements of tuition.

I'm never going to set any lap records in my bloated Nomad that's as aerodynamic as a house brick, but I do quite fancy a bit of sideways driving. More 'slow and controlled' I reckon. Or hooning as they call it...

There's a huge amount of praise for the Nomad's chassis out there. I think I need to learn how to appreciate it.

Maybe a call to Sideways Si Clark is in order...

GraemeW

Post by GraemeW » Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:58 pm

Yes he’s the man I’m talking to

dunny

Post by dunny » Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:24 pm

Yep,
I learnt more in 10 mins driving with our Sid than driving my Nomad since i got it!

TBev

Post by TBev » Thu Jan 31, 2019 4:52 pm

Hi Karl, Dunny, Greame, Steve etc,

Yes I am also very interested in this, the Nomad is incredibly as far as the limits I've reached but I fear PC plod is going to catch up with me soon, so something with a bit more run off and tuition would be very well received then I could drift all the way around my local roundabouts eh hem... maybe not.

I've done a few trackdays in mine but am really looking for a massive wet carpark I guess or similar, or a very large unpopulated field and a tow truck.

Hopefully catch up soon, assuming I dont put it in a ditch in the ice tomorrow

Cheers

Trigger

Post by Trigger » Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:18 pm

I'm with you there Karl.

I was a little sideways out of a couple of corners yday and really wasnt that comfortable. No dramas but would love to actually feel like I could control it.

TheArchitect

Post by TheArchitect » Thu Apr 04, 2019 12:27 pm

Check out carlimits.com I have done a 4 person day with them and learnt a lot. I am about to go on 2 days with total car control where we spend a day at Milbrook and a day on the road. This will be in an MX5 however as I haven't been able to make a Nomad a reality yet.

gtm

Post by gtm » Thu Apr 04, 2019 6:45 pm

I have finally got a delivery date for my Nomad now, but it wont be long in the UK before I go driving across the soon to be more distant continent :-[ .

I had myself been thinking the same thing and had contacted one of the rally schools in Wales as it seemed like a cool place to learn and I was originally going to try to teach my self Nomad skilz, but happy to explore option of group lesson type skilz.
One of the schools did offer to rent a 2km gravel track for about 400 a day or something like that, maybe it was cheaper around 250, Id have to look it out again. I am guessing if 5/6 of us got together and paid a place like that and half day with an instructor it wouldn't cost us more than maybe 150/200 each at best.

Seems Graeme has it in hand, but just thought Id mention it as Wales rally tracks look pretty cool.

Only problem for me is timing...... I get my car around Mid May, later than expected, but I will be excited yet again in another week or two.
:drool:

GraemeW

Post by GraemeW » Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:10 pm

I must apologise that I haven’t done much about this since I spoke to Si ages ago. It was left with me to combine it with a Trackday. There were some issues with insurance. I will pick it up again as I really want some performance driving tuition as I’m a trackday Rookie.