Anyone out there with the Fox suspension?

Karl V

Anyone out there with the Fox suspension?

Post by Karl V » Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:08 pm

So it seems that I am too old for the Bilstein suspension set-up. By this, I mean the 'clickety-clackety' noise they seem to make over everyday potholes and speed bumps.

Don't get me wrong, they are top-notch suspension components, but I think the weakness - for me at least - are those tender springs that seem to slap together too easily over everyday bumps.

Seems a much talked about topic both here - viewtopic.php?f=3&t=14829&p=262143&hilit=tender#p262143 - and posted on the FB page recently:

Springs.jpg
Springs.jpg (125.26 KiB) Viewed 2682 times

I never had this on the Atom 2 as the springs were 'progressively wound'. I.e. a spring that that was both main and tender in one.

It seems that the Bilstein tender springs are spaced quite close together (regardless of shock option (adjustable or not)). The Fox and Ohlin options seem to have a lot more 'give' in them.

So I am wondering... Given the Ohlins are out of my budget justification for how I use the car, does anyone out there run on the Fox set-up and may be willing to help an old man answer a few questions about comfort?

It's tricky trying to look cool blasting through Surrey towns making a crashing sound over speed bumps.

#firstworldproblems

stupot

Re: Anyone out there with the Fox suspension?

Post by stupot » Mon Sep 03, 2018 6:22 am

You could always remove the tender springs and just run on the main spring. Perhaps speak to Henry and see whether they have any suggestions for alternative spring rates without tender springs. If you’re happy with the damping rate then this would be a good start as I believe the Fox are off road biased with a softer spring/damper set up.

I could certainly hear the noise and commented on it when I test drove one.

Trigger

Post by Trigger » Tue Sep 04, 2018 4:08 pm

I have the Bilstein setup and have never noticed it - well, occasionally it clicks but its hardly noticeable I think and never bothered me in the slightest. With the noise of supercharger and wind I cant really feel people can get too bothered. Ohlins are great but I too couldnt afford them. Fox is too soft for me as I also take the car on track.

Karl V

Post by Karl V » Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:50 pm

So I think I'm gonna swap to Foxes in the New Year.

[mention]HenryJS[/mention] mentioned something that may be in the pipeline which has made me consider asking the wife for an extended budget...

[mention]Andrew300[/mention], [mention]t_kelly94[/mention] - did you guys do anything about the standard Bilstein set-up, or is everything still cool?

I'd still like to know if anyone has any real-world experience in swapping standard Billies for Foxes. Mainly around everyday driving and 'spring slap'...

t_kelly94

Post by t_kelly94 » Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:46 pm

[mention]Karl V[/mention] i haven't thought about it anymore tbh - haven't really had a chance to take the Nomad out recently other than a quick play this weekend. I do think Fox's are going to be my preferred choice though still... What was mentioned by Henry? :o

Karl V

Post by Karl V » Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:40 pm

[mention]t_kelly94[/mention] I won't do Henry a disservice by trying to explain what he was telling me, but it centred around being able to firm them up a bit more that you can at the moment; I think.

Plus something about being able to tweak a spring seat to eradicate spring slap completely (?).

At least, that's what I heard ;-)

I'm sure Henry will explain further if anyone is in the market for a set of Foxes.

Karl V

Post by Karl V » Sat Jan 26, 2019 1:15 am

Happy New Year!

Apparently the 'new' Fox suspension has arrived at Crewkerne HQ and our friend Rookie is expecting me in a couple of weeks for a retrofit.

Fooking expensive if you decide on a suspension upgrade as an afterthought on a new build BTW, but probably no less so than a brake upgrade or forced engine induction.

If the suspension upgrade doesn't deal with my 'spring slap' irritation of the standard Billies; or instantly turn me into a world class rally driver; I'll be selling the car, the wife, and both kids.

Wife and kids up for grabs first of course...

And as a close second, I may have a set of standard Bilstein shocks for sale soon - together with 'shock socks'.

More to follow I'm sure...

Karl V

Post by Karl V » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:31 pm

Well it’s official – I now have cunning suspension!

First observation is that the shock absorbers and springs are a LOT cleaner than the rest of the car, but I’m working on fixing that…

So how did I get to this point?

I opted for the non-adjustable Bilstein suspension (AKA standard suspension) when I spec’d the car. I explained to the good people in Crewkerne that I will mostly be doing A and B roads, so the standard suspension was deemed a good fit.

And by and large, it was! It crashed a bit over potholes and speed bumps, but on tight twisty B roads, it did a much better job of keeping everything in check. My problem became one of not being able to adjust it for different scenarios. It was too firm when trying to get air over a speed bump and too soft when trying to keep up with Atoms on relatively smooth B Roads.

So after months of agonising, here I am with Fox’s solution.

Why Fox???

Well my main issue with the Bilstein (adjustable damping or not) was the tightly wound tender spring. Under fast compression, they slapped together quite violently (my Nomad is probably heavier than most) which was not only annoying, but also sent jolts through the steering. From looking at pictures, the Ohlin tender spring is not as tightly wound, but to me, appear ‘more tender’. I had heard reports from others going off-road that the Ohlin suspension can be ‘crashy’. Oh, and it was very expensive.

Tender spring comparison.jpg
Tender spring comparison.jpg (295.93 KiB) Viewed 2368 times

The issue with Fox though was that they were designed primarily for off-road and didn’t have the ability to be ‘firmed right up’ if needed to be. Then, a new Fox solution was introduced by Crewkerne earlier this year. A newer shock absorber that can be ‘wound right up’ if need be. In fact, I was told that the newer Fox set-up could be considered for track use. This seemed to be an option that could span off-roading or chasing Atoms (with adjustment), as well as the spirited blast to Sainsbury’s when you’re running low on cous-cous and need an excuse to get out for an hour or two.

So what do I think???

Rubbish!

I did a 150-mile trek over fast A and twisty B roads on the day of collection and was quite unhappy. Don’t get me wrong, the rears were great. I immediately felt better traction being put down and when the back did go, it felt a lot more predictable. The fronts though… Jumpy and unsettled at 60MpH+ and hard braking and sharp cornering caused all sorts of metallic crunching through the steering. It was as if the springs were not seated properly and any movement caused them to twerk about looking for somewhere to settle in the mounts. So after another 120 mile trip home on Sunday morning, I brewed up and did some tinkering.

First off… The main and tender spring are coupled together in a ‘floating seat’. By this, I mean they are not locked in position on the damper, but can travel together as a single unit until the tender spring starts to force the main spring to start compressing. All well and good, but… There is also a lockout ring that will retard the travel of the tender spring and force the main spring to kick in. That travel is set to 5mm by the factory for road use. 5mm of travel is not a lot. In fact, it may as well be a fixed spring set up. At least in a fixed spring set-up, the tender spring doesn’t ‘bottom out’ just as momentum is starting to build.

I noted that the advice from Crewkerne for off-road settings is to essentially ‘get rid’ of the tender spring lockout ring by winding it right up and allow full travel of the dual-spring set-up, so I did just that. No more sudden changes of compression rate, just progressive spring compression over a wider range of travel.

BEFORE AND AFTER

Lockout ring - before and after.jpg
Lockout ring - before and after.jpg (356.5 KiB) Viewed 2368 times

Next up was the compression and rebound settings. The Fox shock absorbers have 3 settings: High Speed Compression; Low Speed Compression; Rebound. They also feature a hydraulic bump stop promising it will never bottom out.

My understanding is:
  • HIgh Speed Compression: Large bumps and dips in the surface / landing from jumps; needing softer settings and a fair amount of spring travel to absorb movement
  • Low Speed Compression: Steering, acceleration, braking changes / smaller imperfections at speed; needing firmer settings to lessen spring travel to counteract movement
  • Rebound: How quickly a shock absorber returns to a state ready to deal with the next compression cycle
So I took a look at the factory setting specification for Road / General use and saw 7s, 10s, 11s and a 12. This meant nothing to me because I had no idea of what Min and Max were.

25 is the number of clicks from taught to sloppy in all 3 adjustable settings, so now I had an idea of what a 7 and 12 actually meant: 28% and 48%. Except… that is 28% (7 clicks) from fully taught, so 18 clicks (72%) of firmness from fully sloppy. I won’t lie, at this point I threw away my cold tea and poured a glass of red. Things became a bit clearer.

So now I had 3 challenges on the shock absorber settings:
  • Having ‘removed’ the tender spring lockout ring, the springs are going to compress more which means more travel for the shock absorber. I wanted to make the High Speed Compression softer to soak up the bigger hits and do away with any ‘sudden’ changes in dynamics
  • A side challenge of removing the tender spring lockout ring is that I need firmer settings for Low Speed Compression to keep everything in check in corners and when accelerating / braking as well as handling the smaller bumps at speed
  • Rebound settings. Well I left this for now. Let’s see how changing 1 or 2 parameters fare before getting completely lost in all of this…
I changed the rear by only 1 or 2 clicks (4% / 8%) as they were already doing a good job and there is much less travel from those firmer springs in any event. I softened the front High Speed Compression from 48% firmness to 32% firmness and stiffened the Low Speed Compression from 72% to 80% firmness.

After a brief 1 hour round trip to fetch the paper this morning, I returned home grinning from ear to ear. The Fox suspension is everything I had hoped for. It may not be 100% to my personal liking right now (after day 1), but at least I have options to research and experiment with.

So changing firmness settings stopped the ‘metallic twerking’ at the front?

Well not quite. There is still some ‘clunking’ up front under hard braking and cornering, but I suspect this is the ‘floating seat’ travelling up and down the threaded shock absorber. There is only about 1mm gap between the outside of the shock body and the inside of the floating seat. If the shocks were perpendicular to the ground, I can imagine they’d glide quite nicely. Because of the estimated 45-degree angle of the shock absorbers on the Nomad, I can see how the floating seat on a 40cm spring set will grate over the shock threads under extreme forces. I’m not worried that springs will start working loose from their seat or interfere with steering or braking. It’s just… different. Ideally, I'd probably look for a seat with longer guides top and bottom to reduce lateral movement. Anyway...

Overall – I’m chuffed!

Thanks for reading this far. Please note that I am NOT a suspension expert. I am a complete novice who enjoys trying to figure things out. I am sharing this purely as my personal experience and to – hopefully – offer assistance to others, even if it is a guide in what NOT to do. That said, if you’re reading this and have any advice / experiences, please do let me know! As much as trial and error is fun, I’m also quite lazy and would welcome any advice.

When I put a deposit down on a Nomad 2, I’ll be putting Fox suspension at the top of my list. The cup holder will just have to wait…

Cheers all.

Karl V

Post by Karl V » Sun Apr 07, 2019 7:08 pm

Quick update... Did a club run today with a few SC Atoms up front. In preparation, I wound the suspension up a bit and they worked a treat through the twisty B roads at 30+ MpH.

The A/T tyres, extra weight and lack of SC meant I was never in danger of catching them, but the Foxes did firm up very nicely.

Back to comfort setting now, before winding them down even further for later in the month - https://www.ariel.club/forum/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=17373

I'm loving the versatility!

I've now started to experiment with tyre pressures. The A/Ts can be anything from 26/31 PSI for road use to 5/5 for off road / sand dune bashing. More to play with!

My wife must be so proud...

AlanP

Post by AlanP » Sun Apr 07, 2019 7:30 pm

That makes for a good read. Well done.

A

Lighty

Post by Lighty » Sun Apr 21, 2019 9:57 am

Blimey, this must have took an age to type out let alone do it !
I have adjusted my Ohlins a bit, usually harden up the plastic nut by 6 clicks & the Allen key by 3 for track.
Then I reverse this for what I call a fast road set up .
Could certainly use more travel off road, but rarely find anywhere I can go anyway.