Quick release side panels

Karl V

Quick release side panels

Post by Karl V » Tue Aug 14, 2018 5:31 pm

I realise I’ve taken up quite a bit of space in this corner of the forum over recent weeks, so you may be relieved to hear that this is the last of my daft projects, for now…

It is well documented that the side panels do an amazing job of keeping most of the cold and rain from entering the side of the cabin. If you are currently speccing a Nomad, make sure you tick this option! That said, on a hot day sitting on a plastic seat, the panels do an equally good job of making your pants sweaty.

I’ve had the side panels off a few times now. The first time putting the panels back on was a nightmare. I was dropping nuts and losing washers left, right and centre. With a bit of practice, I now have removal down to about 5 minutes per side with about 10 minutes per side to put them back on again.

So I got thinking… Is there a quicker way?

Like the bonnet and engine cover, I looked at Dzus clips (1/4 turn clips) as an option. I figured that 17mm was the bolt length for the 4 corners and 19mm for the 2 centre fixings (the centre fixings have 2 x rubber washers to help give the panel that convex shape. The 4 corners have 1 rubber washer each).

Cool, time to go shopping… But then I realised that there are D-Clips, Button, Posi and Slotted fastener options. Some in black, all in silver. I was pretty sure that I wouldn’t need to remove the panels in a layby on the A303 in some kind of ‘panel removal emergency’, so went for the Zinc Button (Allen key) option to be as in-keeping with factory design as possible.

So with 8 x 17mm and 4 x 19mm button fasteners (http://www.speedyfasteners.com/Dzus_But ... /sf127.htm), the challenge was on.

Granted, the rivet-on receptacles (not rivetted-on) don’t look the best. If I get bored, I may try to cut off / file off the rivet lugs, but with 24 lugs needing cutting / filing, I doubt this will ever happen. A rattle can of ‘close enough’ coloured paint did a decent job of blending it in (original fastener on top, sprayed fastener below)

Non rivetted rivet receptacles.jpg
Non rivetted rivet receptacles.jpg (125.73 KiB) Viewed 1367 times

And the result? Well, I can take the panels off / put them back on in about 1 minute per side without my nuts dropping, which means I can panel up or down just before heading out and avoid roasted / frozen gentleman parts.

I’m hoping that when the panels are on, most folks won’t spot the difference between the ‘quick release’ mod (from a distance) and how the car was delivered from the factory. When the panels are off, the non-rivetted rivet receptacles pop off easily too.

Looks a bit shit up close.jpg
Looks a bit shit up close.jpg (69.06 KiB) Viewed 1367 times

Hopefully not too bad from a distance.jpg
Hopefully not too bad from a distance.jpg (146.97 KiB) Viewed 1367 times

Was it worth £30 and a can of spray paint? Well I haven't used all the paint, so every cloud...

Happy Nomading.

#everydaycar

Lighty

Re: Quick release side panels

Post by Lighty » Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:58 pm

I fitted my side panels back on, this Saturday. I don’t have the lugs, so mine are homemade & cable tied inside.
Takes about 20 mins to complete.
I actually thought this weekend how much better those twist clips would be !
I guess the factory method of nuts & bolts is a real trial to refit & remove.
Absolutely top marks, looks awesome
I have been considering something like this for cars like mine with no lugs, would need some heavy duty protection on the frame though.

Karl V

Post by Karl V » Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:04 pm

I reckon you could be on to a winner there Lighty!

Maybe rubberised / nylon coated to shield the chassis / add extra grip?

https://uk.rs-online.com/mobile/p/spring-clips/0507753/

You'd probably be limited to the diagonal bars though. Maybe a couple of large P-Clips at the cabin vertical side?

Not sure about the vertical at the wheel end of the panel. It's already pretty tricky to get to!

Hedge

Post by Hedge » Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:11 am

Top stuff, Gents.

I've got the panels on mine & know what you mean about temps. So I've an easier solution: I just wear more - or less - clothes.

Last week I were out & about in the old girl & the temps were climbing. So I just whipped my shorts off & drove about in me grundies. Simples! Bloomin lovely it were, too.

And as for rain, I ignore it. Just accept you're gonna get wet, as I did last week (thunderstorm, actually). Again, reverse the process & wear different clothes. No good pi$$ing around trying to stop the rain getting in; it's going to.

I figure that if I want to stay dry/ warm/ cold/ wet/ wotevs then I've "probably" bought the wrong car.

Cheers,
Hedge

Karl V

Post by Karl V » Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:24 pm

I mentioned the undercrackers idea to the girl child Hedge, but she got all funny. 10 year olds can be so fickle!

Anywho, as it turns out, I could be arsed to cut off 24 lugs, thanks to the loan of a neighbour's lug-cutting-tool.

IMG_20180814_231404260.jpg
IMG_20180814_231404260.jpg (128.88 KiB) Viewed 1323 times

So that's me done now. Hopefully looks a bit better than this time yesterday. Going out to play...

Trimmed.jpg
Trimmed.jpg (73.77 KiB) Viewed 1323 times
Done.jpg
Done.jpg (143.82 KiB) Viewed 1323 times

smokin

Post by smokin » Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:07 pm

I did something similar on my atom for quick release of the engine / snork panel. I used these. Slipped over lugs (having gaffered for protection) no problem. Had to drill the lug bolt hole a little bigger as the 1/4 turns were slightly larger.

p.s. great to see others improving perfection
Attachments
445-034_A.jpg
445-034_A.jpg (72.06 KiB) Viewed 1312 times

Lighty

Post by Lighty » Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:29 pm

Another method that could be used is these rivet nuts, we use brass ones at work quite often & Iam sure they would fir in the lugs very securely.

smokin

Post by smokin » Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:58 pm

I've tried the rivnut option and found them ok unless you're doing up / undoing regularly. Once they loose their grip and start spinning they can be a real pain in the butt, especially if you can't get to the other side (i.e. blind)

Karl V

Post by Karl V » Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:41 pm

I spoke to Steve at the factory on Monday and mentioned what I was up to.

He said they used rivet nuts for a customer who wanted a quick release option 'cos of the need to remove the panels to fit the wet weather tent. They had to drill out the holes in the lugs to fit them.

Fair point on them coming loose and spinning. Don't know if a bit of Loctite would help or not. Or maybe a bit of chewing gum? Or maybe that's what PTFE tape and hammers were invented for(?)

That reminds me... I need to find out what the 'official' colour is for my car. Couldn't find 'Ariel Gunmetal Grey' in Halfords. Hopefully it's something like 'Ferrari Racing Midnight' or 'McLaren F1 Mental Metal' or 'Aston Martin Nightshade'.

Pretty sure the bored teenager who rang up my rattle can of 'Ford Sea Grey' sniggered as I left the shop...

Completely off topic - not sure I understand why the lugs aren't standard on all chassis, whether you want side panels or not. Seems a shame when the original owner didn't specify the lugs and a new owner has to use cable ties, through no fault of their own.

Pretty sure the windscreen option requires additional mounting points too, making a retrofit not an option (may be wrong on this). I get the ambidextrous chassis option though - that's a lot of extra steel to 'hide' if it isn't wanted by the original owner. Although could be an interesting 'Project Glovebox' ;-)

Maybe having a 'standard' chassis design would be easier for Ariel too, and provide a bit of future proofing / upsales opportunities.

Anyway, I digressed. Back to side panels...

phil4

Post by phil4 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:28 am

Karl V wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:41 pm Completely off topic - not sure I understand why the lugs aren't standard on all chassis, whether you want side panels or not. Seems a shame when the original owner didn't specify the lugs and a new owner has to use cable ties, through no fault of their own.
Back when I ordered my Atom, it was the other way around, the lugs were standard, and you had to ask specifically if you didn't want them.

Lighty

Post by Lighty » Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:06 pm

I specifically didn’t want the lugs as I don’t like the look of them, also prefer the Perspex panels I have inside.
I don’t believe you can have the weather gear & lugs, not that I want weather gear either.

dunny

Post by dunny » Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:02 am

Hi
I had spent hours and many phone calls trying to get a paint match for my FXPE8002 PURE ORANGE on my nomad.Therin lies the problem,its a plasticote type Finnish and some are [if not all] Ariel only colours i think.Eventually after speaking to Henry at Ariel he got some mixed for me.DO NOT expect a Halfords type bottle full and use it sparingly because it would probably be cheaper to use gold leaf instead.
Getting at the air filter if you have a snorkel is indeed a bit of a bugger to say the least.I think you guys are going in the right direction with the quick release clips.A bit of advice from Ariel might come in handy because we are not all within a quick drive of Crewekerne!
Cheers,
dunny.

Lighty

Post by Lighty » Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:12 pm

I cleaned the air filter on my Nomad & it has the snorkel. It is indeed very time consuming.
Not sure how you relate this to the side panels though ?

Karl V

Post by Karl V » Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:11 pm

So today I did a 'deep clean' of the car. You know the one - hours spent with a cloth polishing your bleed nipples; blisters the size of a tennis ball on your pointy fingers...

Anywho, it was a joy to be able to whip my panels off in 60 seconds flat and scrub the passenger footrest clean from ex-victim's footprints / evidence.

Seems that in about 1,750 miles of use, I've burnt 300ml of engine oil - monthly reminder set to check the oil...

At 2,750 miles on the clock, I didn't feel the need to check the air filter, but I can only imagine this buried in a box / snorkel would have been a minor operation in itself.

Glad I went the quick release route, but some scratches are starting to appear on the lugs after slipping the clips on and off a half dozen times.

May need to investigate a paint touch-up option at some point to keep the girl in tip-top condition. I do hope it's 'Koenigsegg Vampire Midnight'; or something other than 'Ford Sea Gray'.