Project caffeine

Karl V

Project caffeine

Post by Karl V » Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:26 pm

Something else I have been working on in recent days (sorry for bombarding the forum tonight BTW)

Over the past 1 month of ownership, I have covered 2,000 miles. These have been mainly relaxing long trips along A roads with a few B roads thrown in for good measure.

A few of them required early morning starts (to beat the heat), which got me thinking… How do I transport my morning coffee???

Now you should know that I am quite old. I get cranky easily. I signed up to Ariel ownership knowing there was no A/C, or ICE, or comfy leather seats. But nowhere to stash a skinny-iced-frappe-latte-with-mocha-sprinkles? Whaaaaat…

So the project was born – how to add a cup holder to the Nomad?

First off, I researched a ‘multi-function’ cup holder and settled on this -

I have to say, it is well made and quite versatile. The problem I then found was finding a completely vertical or horizontal bar in the Nomad, in the right position, between 2” and 3” in diameter…

I settled on a having a dedicated ‘cup holder’ mount fabricated. The chosen location was just behind the handbrake, using the handbrake cover screws as anchor points.

1.jpg
1.jpg (154.42 KiB) Viewed 1550 times

The mount is a horizontal aluminium bracket to sit on top of the handbrake cover (with fluffy side Velcro stuck to it to absorb vibrations), with a vertical 2” diameter aluminium rod to attach the cup holder too. The rod is screwed in from underneath, then all sprayed matt black, for fun.

2.jpg
2.jpg (64.17 KiB) Viewed 1550 times
3.jpg
3.jpg (71.66 KiB) Viewed 1550 times

It looks ‘factory fitted’ (IMO) and means I can casually sip on a cup of hot coffee in the morning when sitting at traffic lights, gently tugging on the hydro brake to beat the AMG next to me off the line.

4.jpg
4.jpg (137.13 KiB) Viewed 1550 times
5.jpg
5.jpg (125.81 KiB) Viewed 1550 times

I have found a new appreciation for the morning commute… #everdaycar

As always, happy to share my experiences with anyone interested.

Cheers.

Hedge

Re: Project caffeine

Post by Hedge » Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:23 am

Personally, I love all this shizzle you keep posting up, so please please don’t stop!

Cheers,
Hedge

Lighty

Post by Lighty » Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:14 pm

Great work, however my solution is much simpler .

Alex Brandon-Smith

Post by Alex Brandon-Smith » Wed Aug 01, 2018 2:09 pm

Love this Karl. You could probably sell those to Ariel as an optional extra! ;D
310=325! That'll be the Presidential Remap kicking in... :vroom:

Karl V

Post by Karl V » Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:57 pm

Love Lighty's approach! Probably works good for sausage rolls too? That would save me a project!

Alex - once I've figured out an intravenous drip holder (Project Caffeine phase 2), I'll approach Ariel ;-)

John Scherrer
Global Moderator

Post by John Scherrer » Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:08 am

Karl - You're certainly mad enough to own a Nomad ;D
Atom 3 310 Supercharged (2011), Now Sold

Karl V

Post by Karl V » Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:50 pm

I was obsessed with Meccano kits as a kid, and caffeine as an adult.

Couldn't have wished for a better midlife crisis :drool:

dunny

Post by dunny » Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:48 pm

Hi,
You might also try a cup holder by wunderlich from Nippy Normans BMW motorcycle accessories. It is adjustable, made from aircraft grade aluminium,
and will clamp on to the chassis along side of the drivers seat.I haven't tried a sausage roll in it yet but considering what blows about the inside of my Nomad i don't think i really want to! Check out Mud uk for RAM mounts that will clamp nicely onto the bar running underneath the dash,opening a whole new world for accessories!
Cheers
Dunny.

Hedge

Post by Hedge » Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:32 pm

Or you could just drive it

Cheers,
Hedge

NormLarson

Post by NormLarson » Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:36 pm

Nice work, Karl

dunny

Post by dunny » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:53 am

Yep to all the above! :tu:

Karl V

Post by Karl V » Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:59 pm

Unexpecteded addadge benefitch.

#notdriving.jpg
#notdriving.jpg (169.35 KiB) Viewed 1357 times

Karl V

Post by Karl V » Thu Aug 30, 2018 7:26 pm

Quick update... It seems that at over 50MpH, an empty Wild Bean Cafe cup likes to remove itself from the holder. And the car...

Not sure if that means I should drink slower or drive slower.

What I do know is that if I ever get the urge to collect those peel-off stickers from a McDonald's coffee cup, I need to do so before finishing the coffee. To be fair though, I'm not likely to finish a McDonald's coffee, so I'm not losing sleep over this one.

Life lessons...

autobackup

Post by autobackup » Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:41 am

Tesco do a brilliant range of thermos 'flip sealed' mugs by CONTIGO which any coffee outlet is happy to (re)fill for you.

I suspect that they would be too heavy to be removed by your slipstream - although, in your case, the added extra weight might be a handicap to your Nomad's performance!! :roflp:
Atom 3.5R (Cyprus)
Honda CRV 2.2 Ex Auto i-DTEC (Cyprus)
Suzuki Celerio 1.0 SZ4 (Cyprus)
Honda CRV Ex I-MMD eCVT Hybrid (UK)

Karl V

Post by Karl V » Sun Sep 02, 2018 7:37 pm

Good thinking!

This may also solve the issue of 'why does my coffee go from boiling hot to luke warm in less than 10 minutes'...

If it was a bit more 'permanent', I could maybe hook up some tubes from cup-to-mouth; rally style.

The cup holder is a bit too far back to grab with my left hand, but I've become a master at the Dutch Reach!

Weight is not too much of an issue crawling through commuter traffic in London. Pretty sure a full bladder outweighs an aluminium coffee cup. Maybe I can have both and still beat those shite Prius taxis to the next set of red lights ;-)