New Gadget

fb.george

Re: New Gadget

Post by fb.george » Fri Sep 28, 2018 4:36 pm

Hi
Am due to take possession of my Nomad in a couple of months.
Has anyone tried normal wireless Bluetooth over ear headphones, such as the Bose QC35, in their Nomad?
And if so, what was the outcome please.
Appreciated
FB

autobackup

Post by autobackup » Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:05 am

FB

Yes I believe that Steve Gibson is a user of Bluetooth Bose earbuds when driving his Atom

There has already been a considerable discussion thread in the forum about Bluetooth headsets (various) at :

http://ariel.club/forum/viewtopic.php?f ... 5a#p285970

Which you might be interested in looking through?
Last edited by autobackup on Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Atom 3.5R (Cyprus)
Honda CRV 2.2 Ex Auto i-DTEC (Cyprus)
Suzuki Celerio 1.0 SZ4 (Cyprus)
Honda CRV Ex I-MMD eCVT Hybrid (UK)

autobackup

Post by autobackup » Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:21 am

Well I have finally got to grips with the Stilo DG-10 Digital intercom system!

Unfortunately the Stilo DG-10 will ONLY connect to ONE Bluetooth source at a time so :

1. My TomTom Rider 550 is the primary connection which provides voice guidance and phone connection but NOT streamed music from my phone - this Bluetooth connection auto starts each time I start my Atom.
2. To have music I have to first start up my Atom - turn OFF the TomTom Rider 550 and then, in my phone settings' turn Bluetooth 'Off then On' - the phone then immediately connects directly to the Stilo DG-10 and provides streamed music and also a phone connection.
3. After my phone has successfully connected direct to the Stilo DG-10 and music is playing I can then safely turn my TomTom Rider 550 back on which then works OK visually for navigation but which, unfortunately, then provides no voice guidance with this connection setup.

Irritating - but workable!
Atom 3.5R (Cyprus)

mgreen

Post by mgreen » Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:58 am

Could you not buy something like a Loop r8 Bluetooth Receiver snap/cut the back clip off and velcro this to your visor.

You can then make hands free calls and listen to music operate your phone via voice controls etc with the flexibility of being able to access everything with a click of the button on the visor. You can also use it with any in ear monitors too (not just wireless ones) Its also compatible with the Tom Tom Rider 550 as well if you want to navigate via that. The built in mic is quite good and with the visor shut you can have a reasonable conversation

Lighty

Post by Lighty » Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:22 pm

autobackup wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:21 am Well I have finally got to grips with the Stilo DG-10 Digital intercom system!

Unfortunately the Stilo DG-10 will ONLY connect to ONE Bluetooth source at a time so :

1. My TomTom Rider 550 is the primary connection which provides voice guidance and phone connection but NOT streamed music from my phone - this Bluetooth connection auto starts each time I start my Atom.
2. To have music I have to first start up my Atom - turn OFF the TomTom Rider 550 and then, in my phone settings' turn Bluetooth 'Off then On' - the phone then immediately connects directly to the Stilo DG-10 and provides streamed music and also a phone connection.
3. After my phone has successfully connected direct to the Stilo DG-10 and music is playing I can then safely turn my TomTom Rider 550 back on which then works OK visually for navigation but which, unfortunately, then provides no voice guidance with this connection setup.

Irritating - but workable!
Well I have also got to grips with my Stilo DG10, no 1 is that it’s forsnt work great with the side panels removed as there is too much wind buffeting .
No2 mine certainly works with all things at the same time, so I have music playing from my IPhone which is directing me with the waze app visually & when instructions come through, it talks over the music.
You can alter the volume of instructions independently of the music.

autobackup

Post by autobackup » Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:35 pm

Lighty

If I was using my phone as the only device connected to the Stilo DG10 (including using it as the satnav) it would work as well but the TomTom Rider 550 is better for navigation in Cyprus and is locked permanently to my Atom (it updates automatically by wifi).

Using the Stilo WRC headsets and noise cancellation set at 3 in the Stilo control unit everything (including diver/pax comms & phone) is as clear as a bell and the noise cancellation of both road and s/c noise is eerily efficient - however I do have the full windscreen and perspex side panels installed in my 3.5R.

However after some trial and error I have dicovered that it is essential that the mics are as close to the driver and passenger's mouths as possible!

mgreen

Whats all this about a helmet - have you ever tried wearing a helmet with the temperatures in the late 30s early 40s!!

I drive my Atom in Cyprus wearing a baseball cap, polycarbonate sunglasses, polo shirt, shorts & sandals using the Stilo DG10 digital intercom system which has 2 WRC noice cancelling wired headsets with mics which are worn over the top of the baseball cap.

The problem is that, using the Stilo DG10, I have to make a choice between listening to music, podcasts, phone etc OR listening to the TomTom's spoken directions - unfortunately I can't have both. When competing on a rally I set it up using the TomTom and spoken directions.

- however the usual config I use is phone & music to Stilo and use the TomTom Rider 550 satnav visually - i.e. glancing at the TomTom screen occasionally without any spoken directions
Atom 3.5R (Cyprus)

nfcf

Post by nfcf » Fri Jan 03, 2020 4:38 pm

I've been using the DG10 since August and thought I should add a few bits on to this as it might help others out.

I'm personally not a huge fan of the over ear units when using sunglasses so I have a pair of these with a custom connector. The Rita and Dan at gprdirect.com sorted them out for me but they aren't cheap (£300 plus ear molds if you don't already have them).
autobackup wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:34 am Stilo DG10 is a nice bit of kit - but it is important to reaslise that it is NOT waterproof so some means of effectively protecting it from the rain/puddles would need to be devised for use in a Nomad or Atom.
I've now driven the car in seriously heavy rain and my solution for waterproofing seems to be working in all weather the only downside is you loose easy access to the controls but I never used them after the initial setup anyway.

You'll need the following:
https://www.automation24.co.uk/splittab ... g-22554-pc
https://www.automation24.co.uk/sealing- ... fe-54pm3x4
https://www.automation24.co.uk/splittab ... 20-225uggm
https://www.automation24.co.uk/aluminiu ... -x-80-x-57
https://www.automation24.co.uk/mounting ... rpg-mprj07

The DG10 doesn't quite fit (parts circled in red stick out to much) in the enclosure above but 10 minutes with a dremel to remove a little bit of material (don't go all the way through!) lets it fit in tightly without the rubber port covers. A bit of velcro holds the DG10 in the box to prevent any movement whilst driving

If you don't feel like modifying the box there are plenty of larger IP65/66 boxes available but I found they were normally significantly larger than required.

Interference areas
ab0500_-_stilo_dg-10_digital_intercom_1_.jpg
ab0500_-_stilo_dg-10_digital_intercom_1_.jpg (52.29 KiB) Viewed 1080 times
box material removal
20190915_143922.jpg
20190915_143922.jpg (3.27 MiB) Viewed 1080 times
I made an extension to the power cable by soldering on a longer lead with an approx. 4mm diameter wire pair to ensure it seals properly in the gland. I've currently got the gland installed in the lid but I suspect you could just about get it into the box body (I bought a spare box to try at some point).

I've mounted the box under the passenger seat using velcro so I can remove it if require but I just leave it in place at the moment.

I may add some more photos if I can ever be bothered to remove it from the car again...

I now plan to buy a pair of connectors which I will secure to the car/seats to help tidy the cables away when not in use.

autobackup

Post by autobackup » Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:13 am

nfcf

Interesting method.

- I must confess that I went much simpler in that I fitted an aluminium plate aft of the gear stick in my Atom on to which I Velcro the DG10 control head and simply keep a 'Ziplock' plastic bag tucked under the ally plate so if it rains I slip the DG10 into the 'ziplock' and close it with the wires hanging out of the not quite closed ziplock which, being transparent, still allows me to make selections (e.g. answer the phone) while keeping the DG10 head unit protected from the rain - it has come through several thunderstorms in this fashion - during one of which I had to stop on the side of the road as the rain/hail was so heavy that I couldn't see more than 10 metres ahead and the road was completely awash and running like a river a couple of inches deep!!

I was wearing a rain suit at the time (permanently stowed under the pax seat) but I still got completely soaked as the rain soon found it's way down my neck!!
IMG_20180912_121630 (800x600).jpg
IMG_20180912_121630 (800x600).jpg (385.78 KiB) Viewed 1059 times
Atom 3.5R (Cyprus)