Question about the spare wheel carrier

fesuvious

Re: Question about the spare wheel carrier

Post by fesuvious » Sat May 30, 2020 4:55 pm

That mount plate,
Is there any reason it couldn't be fixed to the side panels?

I know it means the carrier would be vertical, but could it be done?

Karl V

Post by Karl V » Sat May 30, 2020 8:20 pm

I went for a Givi Trekker Monokey TRK33N which is designed to be a top case or pannier.

So, yes, it can be mounted on the vertical.

Not sure the side panels would carry the weight though, and I also suspect that the case would stick out wider than the wheels. But in theory...

nfcf

Post by nfcf » Sun May 31, 2020 8:23 am

I wouldn't trust the side panel to hold the weight. If you want to keep the spare wheel and have storage [mention]mudnomad[/mention] has both mounted on the carrier. If you Google MudNomad you'll get his various social media pages with loads of photos

This image from his Facebook page should give you an idea on the setup

Karl V

Post by Karl V » Sun Aug 16, 2020 7:42 pm

Just crossing some Ts and dotting some Is on this thread...

Permanent storage aside, I also run with a 'touring' option, which is a dry bag.

It wasn't by design BTW. By chance, when I was mounting the Givi case on the spare wheel carrier (quite blindly at the time), the optimal / only position was around 9" away from the rear framework. It happens - by chance - to sit directly over the 'engine bay' and far enough back to allow the case to be opened without gravity crushing my fingers every time I opened the case. But there is still a gap between box and rear frame...

image.png
image.png (2.19 MiB) Viewed 1372 times

So I took advantage of that gap to weave a lashing strap to form a base between the spare wheel legs. The picture may not show it, but the spare wheel legs and lashing strap are fairly well aligned horizontally.

image.png
image.png (2.4 MiB) Viewed 1372 times

Why? Well it serves as an extra area to stash an occasion-use bag when not all your pants and socks will fit into the permanent case. Personally, I opted for a 60L dry bag, based mainly on the width and length. Plus, it was only £40!

image.png
image.png (2.1 MiB) Viewed 1372 times

image.png
image.png (3.85 MiB) Viewed 1372 times

It fills the gap nicely. Has not once resulted in soggy pants and 'looks the part'. More importantly, I have never lost a pair of pants on the M4. Well, not in the Nomad at least...

phil4

Post by phil4 » Sun Aug 16, 2020 8:41 pm

I’d guess even if not fitting the hard case, if you had the spare wheel you’d be able to fit a similar bag between wheel carrier and frame.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Karl V

Post by Karl V » Sun Aug 16, 2020 8:58 pm

Maybe, yes.

I'm not sure how how much room there would be between a spare wheel (which at 235/75/15 measures 73cm) V a Givi box measuring at 41cm deep.

Like I say, I got lucky in where I positioned the box given I was working 'blind' and it just so happened it was placed rearward enough to a) allow the lid to open and stay open and b) fit in a dry bag between the gap.

Anyway, the main takeaway should be: "I have never lost a pair of pants on the M4". #lifegoals

Valey80

Post by Valey80 » Mon May 10, 2021 2:46 pm

To copy is to admire 😬
Attachments
627D2B37-AAE9-4D6D-9122-BC66EA15B0AE.jpeg
627D2B37-AAE9-4D6D-9122-BC66EA15B0AE.jpeg (1.95 MiB) Viewed 1327 times

Karl V

Post by Karl V » Mon May 10, 2021 7:02 pm

Top work!

And may your jam sandwiches remain damp free.