overheating due to plant life

Paul M

overheating due to plant life

Post by Paul M » Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:51 am

New Nomad owner in Suffolk here (anyone else out there?). Me and my son have been hooning around the farm but the rad / cooling fan is getting quickly clogged with all the light rubbish that comes off the thistles and grasses this time of year --> overheating and fuse blowing. Anyone else had this problem or even found a solution? Can't really block the air going in for obvious reasons and it happens within a very short time of getting stuck in. Crewkerne have not had seen problem before.

phil4

Re: overheating due to plant life

Post by phil4 » Sun Jul 07, 2019 11:25 am

If Ariel haven't seen it before, there clearly won't be a factory designed/sactioned solution.

Have you looked at fitting a metal mesh ahead of the rad/fan?

Motorbikes often have radiator guards available, these for example: http://www.bikenation.co.uk/parts/bike- ... tor-guards

Where they have the fan behind the radiator it's of course a different proposition. However if you were feeling handy, I'm sure with some suitable mesh (local DIY or craft store) could be made to measure and fitted over.

The above may be a useless idea, but since I'd seen it on bikes, thought I'd share.

Karl V

Post by Karl V » Sun Jul 07, 2019 7:00 pm

I've not had this problem, but have been thinking about adding a little extra protection up front against stones and what not. The radiator is fairly exposed.

The idea involves attaching black scrim netting to the front bumper frame with some black velcro loops / cable ties. Not sure if you have the front bumper or not, but it would be an ideal place to fix either mesh or netting I reckon.

IMG_20190707_180502446.jpg
IMG_20190707_180502446.jpg (1.75 MiB) Viewed 1259 times

John Scherrer
Global Moderator

Post by John Scherrer » Sun Jul 07, 2019 7:16 pm

I'm guessing the fan fuse is blowing when the fan blades stall due to debris being lodged between the blades and the casing.
So, with no fan it then overheats.

If you can somehow, stop the fan blades from stalling you've fixed it!
Is it possible to mount the fan assembly further forward of the radiator using some suitable spacers to give a bit more clearance?
Atom 3 310 Supercharged (2011), Now Sold

Paul M

Post by Paul M » Sun Jul 07, 2019 10:02 pm

Thanks Guys, I try some scrim, hope that doesn't clog up too but should give the fan some respite, it seems to be a particular problem with the light fluff coming off thistles which gets right into the rad itself past the fan housing. Normal long grass etc seems fine.

Karl V

Post by Karl V » Sun Jul 07, 2019 10:06 pm

You may have to invest in a pair of ladies tights to form a barrier then Paul.

A good denier gusset has been known to stop many an intruder, yet still prove breathable.

I apologise in advance. It's late...

Paul M

Post by Paul M » Mon Jul 08, 2019 5:08 pm

Appreciate that advice, will promulgate on the other forum I seem to spend too much time on :laugh:

HenryJS

Post by HenryJS » Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:08 pm

I must say Thistle Fluff hasnt been a problem for us.. yet!

My suggestion would be to use an air line or hose pipe from the back face of the radiator to push the fluff / other detritus out from behind.

I know this probably isnt hugely helpful, as there arent usually air lines / hoses in the middle of fields...

be wary about putting fine mesh etc over the radiator, it can reduce air flow A LOT. The best thing might be a 'grille' rather than mesh?

Karl V

Post by Karl V » Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:24 pm

HenryJS wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:08 pm be wary about putting fine mesh etc over the radiator, it can reduce air flow A LOT. The best thing might be a 'grille' rather than mesh?
You're referring to fishnet stockings I assume [mention]HenryJS[/mention]?

:-X