SkunkWurx Updates

The area for people to tell the club about goods and services which may be of interest. Be aware that the goods and services offered in this section are not necessarily endorsed by Ariel.Club but will be moderated. Caveat emptor. Only full club members can create posts.
PhillipM

Re: SkunkWurx Updates

Post by PhillipM » Wed Jul 20, 2016 7:31 am

WRT Wear - I've made probably a couple of dozen bell/discs setups previously - you need quite a bit of bearing area to reduce top hat wear in a floating setup, even with the big drive bobbins a la Alcon you get wear eventually, strap drive are even worse for wear and noise, although quieter to start with.

My best design for that was a direct drive bell - the bell was machined with a recess to match the drive lugs on the disc - that ran spring steel shimstock so the ally saw no movement across its surface. If you do that then you can build some spring preload into the backside and stop most of the low speed disc noise too. You do end up with a more expensive setup though as you have twice as much machining on the bell and have to machine the rotors too go ensure the fit is close enough.

dc5ian

Post by dc5ian » Wed Jul 20, 2016 3:00 pm

what size/thickness disc are your rotors?

i went for a thicker disc to suit the alcon calipers when i had my 2 piece rotors and bells made, however with the thicker discs there is less tolerance for the rotors to hit the calipers.

all four of my bells are indivdual made to suit each hub, they cant be interchanged.

ive just spent the last 40 mins swapping the front bells and rotors about as i had sent my front hubs to my machinest to have a pair of abs rings put on (traction control). he had accidentley put them on the wrong side so as i put them up the rotors were hiting the calipers.
Last edited by dc5ian on Wed Jul 20, 2016 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Alan S

Post by Alan S » Thu Jul 21, 2016 1:28 pm

[quote="hamtt"]
CF Atom 3/3.5 Front Lamp Covers/Light Upgrades

The carbon covers will be available separately to replace the plastic existing covers  but will also be available as a complete light upgrade for the Atom's with the old tractor lights. Rear lights will follow.
[/quote]

Hi hamtt, it's great that us atom owners have a choice when it comes to aftermarket items. Let us know when you have an idea of price on the CF lamp covers

Toilet Duck

Post by Toilet Duck » Thu Jul 21, 2016 1:52 pm

[quote="Alan S"]

Hi hamtt, it's great that us atom owners have a choice when it comes to aftermarket items. Let us know when you have an idea of price on the CF lamp covers
[/quote]

+1

Will the skunkwurx complete carbon light assembly be as "bulbous"  as the factory option?  As much as I dislike the Noddy car OE headlights,  I'm not keen on the upgraded "all in one" 3.5 light assembly as to my eyes they  look  a bit too big.  I've got the factory carbon sidelight/indicator units which I love the look off,  it's just the seperate flappy headlight that let's the car down.
Atom 3 300

hamtt

Post by hamtt » Thu Jul 21, 2016 3:02 pm

[quote="dc5ian"]

i went for a thicker disc to suit the alcon calipers when i had my 2 piece rotors and bells made, however with the thicker discs there is less tolerance for the rotors to hit the calipers.

all four of my bells are indivdual made to suit each hub, they cant be interchanged.

I've just spent the last 40 mins swapping the front bells and rotors about as i had sent my front hubs to my machinest to have a pair of abs rings put on (traction control). he had accidently put them on the wrong side so as i put them up the rotors were hitting the calipers.
[/quote]

For the fixed ones we're sticking to the same dimensions as the original Alcon's but for the floating ones we're playing about with the thickness. The original disc is quite a thin disc and making it thicker would improve the resistance to warp a lot but as you mentioned this then changes other aspects of the set up.

Why can the bells not be changed around? have they been designed with an offset or something?
My website: Skunkwurx - Create an account and PM me for forum member pricing
Ariel Atom Parts and UpgradesRace Technology Dash2

hamtt

Post by hamtt » Thu Jul 21, 2016 3:04 pm

[quote="Alan S"]
[quote="hamtt"]
CF Atom 3/3.5 Front Lamp Covers/Light Upgrades

The carbon covers will be available separately to replace the plastic existing covers  but will also be available as a complete light upgrade for the Atom's with the old tractor lights. Rear lights will follow.
[/quote]

[/quote]

My target price for forum members is about £350 for the complete set for the. Rears will be significantly cheaper. I'm hoping the GBP/USD exchange recovers so I can stick to that target price other wise they'll end up being about 10-15% dearer.

hamtt

Post by hamtt » Thu Jul 21, 2016 3:07 pm

[quote="Toilet Duck"]
[quote="Alan S"]

[/quote]

+1

Will the skunkwurx complete carbon light assembly be as "bulbous"  as the factory option?  As much as I dislike the Noddy car OE headlights,  I'm not keen on the upgraded "all in one" 3.5 light assembly as to my eyes they  look  a bit too big.  I've got the factory carbon sidelight/indicator units which I love the look off,  it's just the seperate flappy headlight that let's the car down.
[/quote]

The "bulbulous" look is to do with the lense having to be that shape to project the light out in the correct pattern. The lights seem to be a bit of a marmite issue, some people love them and others hate them. I'm designing them using the same Hella projectors as used by the factory however these are easy enough to swap over. I have some LED projectors on order and playing about with a few other options too, hopefully I will be able to offer a choice.

Rocket Man

Post by Rocket Man » Thu Jul 21, 2016 5:51 pm

[quote="hamtt"]
New Dual Element front Wing

[img width=624 height=768]http://www.skunkwurx.co/forum/skunkwurx-fw.jpg[/img]

The prototypes are in and testing is being done on them with promising results.
[/quote]

love the design of that front wing, have you any idea on pricing for that one. the end plates look a bit "square " i am assuming they are prototype end plates and they may have a bit more shape to production end plates

petrolhead

Post by petrolhead » Thu Jul 21, 2016 8:12 pm

Am interested in a front splitter and totally second Rocket Mans input on end plate deign/cost of item. Eagerly awaiting a reply on this. Also, does it come with a fitting kit.

Like the look of the Carbon light covers.

Currently have Skunkwerks rear wing and Steering wheel 

dc5ian

Post by dc5ian » Fri Jul 22, 2016 8:16 am

[quote="hamtt"]
[quote="dc5ian"]

I've just spent the last 40 mins swapping the front bells and rotors about as i had sent my front hubs to my machinest to have a pair of abs rings put on (traction control). he had accidently put them on the wrong side so as i put them up the rotors were hitting the calipers.
[/quote]

For the fixed ones we're sticking to the same dimensions as the original Alcon's but for the floating ones we're playing about with the thickness. The original disc is quite a thin disc and making it thicker would improve the resistance to warp a lot but as you mentioned this then changes other aspects of the set up.

Why can the bells not be changed around? have they been designed with an offset or something?
[/quote]

the bells cant be changed around as they had to be individually made to each hub. There must of been variations on the hubs, because ariel use a slightly thiner disc these variations are not a problem. put a thiker disc in and they do.

maybe on the later spec hubs they are better, i can only comment on a atom 2

John Scherrer
Global Moderator

Post by John Scherrer » Wed Jul 27, 2016 3:56 pm

For reference, the US Atom 3S has these Alcon Fully Floating discs ...  :drool:

(Photo is TMIs)
Attachments
TMI Fully Floating Disc.jpg
Atom 3 310 Supercharged (2011), Now Sold

hamtt

Post by hamtt » Wed Jul 27, 2016 4:26 pm

[quote="Rocket Man"]

love the design of that front wing, have you any idea on pricing for that one. the end plates look a bit "square " i am assuming they are prototype end plates and they may have a bit more shape to production end plates
[/quote]

Yea they're the initial shape we're just trying. Sometimes its hard to visualize how things look and they look bulky when off the car but when put on the car they start to look a bot more proportionate. I attached one for photos to my old car today:

The end plates are screwed on anyway so they can always be changed.

Cost-wise about £1300-1500.
Last edited by hamtt on Wed Jul 27, 2016 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hamtt

Post by hamtt » Wed Jul 27, 2016 4:30 pm

[quote="petrolhead"]
Am interested in a front splitter and totally second Rocket Mans input on end plate deign/cost of item. Eagerly awaiting a reply on this. Also, does it come with a fitting kit.

Like the look of the Carbon light covers.

Currently have Skunkwerks rear wing and Steering wheel
[/quote]

The fitting kits are available already as its the same fitting as the existing wings.

John Scherrer
Global Moderator

Post by John Scherrer » Wed Jul 27, 2016 4:41 pm

Can I add to the feedback?

I also think those endplates are too square !
Atom 3 310 Supercharged (2011), Now Sold

deepdiver

Post by deepdiver » Wed Jul 27, 2016 6:43 pm

well done,

i also think the end plates could do with a little remodelling.

the brakes look good also.

g.