Border Blast - 2018

Where driving is the aim of the game
Northnoble

Re: Border Blast - 2018

Post by Northnoble » Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:10 pm

Digger wrote: Alex, it will probably be earlier in the spring...April or May

I haven't heard from any of the Northern Chapter yet?  The provisional plan is to base ourselves somewhere near Newcastle for a few days and take some day trips out from there.  Maybe a night further north. 

Getting there is an issue for southerners.  I  have been looking at transport options from say the south east to Manchester so we can drive together across Peninnes, after meeting up with Cumbrian tourers, to Newcastle.  Alternatively we could ship the cars directly to Newcastle. or drive !  Transport prices about £250 to £300 per car but that will come down with multiple cars.  Others can join along the way or meet in Newcastle.

Ive looked at a few routes and we are spoilt for choice.  No doubt northern chapter boys will advise.  The key thing is traffic free roads  :)

In terms of timing perhaps early May before school half terms?  The weather isn't too bad then unless we have the arctic north easter blasting through.  How about the first may bank holiday weekend and a couple of days either side?

I will look at accommodation options soon and provide a draft itin?  I will PM George as well

If you fancy a night further North....come and stay in Broughty Ferry (I can easily get 10 Atoms in my private drive whilst laying on a full BBQ etc....and there is a Great Western Hotel 500 yards along the road)....Glenshee is less than an hour away (some of the best roads in the UK!) and then we can do the 1/4 mile challenge at Crail on the Sunday....see if any of you can beat my record!!)
Last edited by Northnoble on Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Northnoble

Post by Northnoble » Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:17 pm

Digger wrote: That’s great Bill. 

Graeme
IanG
Steve G
Alex
Steve B
Smokin
Sir Nick
CambsBill
Northnoble

GraemeW

Post by GraemeW » Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:20 am

Hi Hamish

Would love to go further north.  Scotland has some of the best roads in the UK.  Ive driven many of them.  I think we may cross the border, but not venture too far, given the distance we will have come already and the focus being the border area drives with the Newcastle guys.  It would be great if you could join us for some or all of the time.

Having said that, I think Scotland warrants its own dedicated trip.  I would love to do the NC500 again, or at least some of it.  Not all is appropriate for an Atom, also there are plenty of other great Scottish roads before you get that far North.  I will not be able to a Scotland trip next year given Im doing the Border Blast and Italy, but others may do?  I think I will do Scotland in 2019.  Having done a Wales trip in 2017 and Border Blast in 2018. 

In fact I think we should have a Ariel Club UK Regional trip every year, focussing on a specific area?

Northnoble

Post by Northnoble » Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:26 pm

Right gents...as is usual at this time of year "beywixmas"
".... I.e. The boring time between Xmas and New Year, I have been servicing / cleaning / pampering my Atom and thinking...OMG I need to use you more next year (less than 1,000 miles last year :-[ )

So, have organised a repeat run of the NC500 for the W/E of the 27/04.....just need you Southern Jessie's to confirm when the Borders Blast will be!! ;D

Totally up for it...if someone can recommend an Atom friendly hotel for 2 nights!

All the best,

Northnoble......the fastest Atom in the North >:D

GraemeW

Post by GraemeW » Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:43 pm

Hi Northnoble, its probably first bank holiday weekend in May 2018. Will confirm early in the new year, and will advise Atom friendly hotels etc.

Come with us to Italy next year. That will put some more mileage on the Atom, or come south where its sunnier :laugh:

Northnoble

Post by Northnoble » Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:57 pm

Perfect.....doing the NC 500 again on the 27th to 29th April and then off to Greece for a week in the sun on the 15th May, so the bank holiday weekend of the 4th to the 7th May would be perfect ;D .... Assuming there is actually some good roads and an Atom friendly hotel in the NE....the only place I ever suffered car crime was South Shields in the mid 90's where some f@cker knicked my VR6 :(

Northnoble

Post by Northnoble » Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:04 pm

Digger wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:43 pm That will put some more mileage on the Atom, or come south where its sunnier :laugh:
Sunnier...but too busy :-[ ..... Gods country and the best roads are up North 👍

GraemeW

Post by GraemeW » Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:31 pm

true they are better in Scotland, and when the sun shines nothing can beat them

deepdiver

Post by deepdiver » Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:58 pm

Hi folks,
let's get the new year out the way first and we can get our heads together and work out some logistics.
firstly your not coming up north to piss up, your hear to drive the roads so although we will be Newcastle area i cant imagine it will be Newcastle based, Northumberland and Cumbria and the Scottish Borders is a huge area, with some great driving roads. Having said that the people who turn up will want a safe place for the motors, decent accommodation and nice food, which won't be hard to find up here. We have the whole gambit of places to stay from £30 a night B/Bs to £200+ 5 star country houses, that can take roughly 10-15 people.( going by the list) and who lives up this way, and using the Xmas Do as a standard there is a whole host of places for that price range. £80-£120.

take it easy

george.

Northnoble

Post by Northnoble » Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:57 pm

Evening George,

Couldn't agree more, after living in Newcastle (down on the quayside beside the Law Courts) and then South Shields (Law Top beside the Harbour Lights) I Know it's a great night out....but also know even more that Atoms and hangovers don't mix....ever!!

Thinking somewhere like Slaley Hall, Linden Hall or maybe the Ramside if we are venturing slightly further South.

Some local recommendations would be most welcome...past experience tells me book early as places seem to fill very early now!!

GraemeW

Post by GraemeW » Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:31 pm

George

Ive had a few piss ups in Newcastle. You know how to do it there :) , but no, you are right I wasn't intending on visiting or staying in Newcastle.

Hamish is right also in that early booking is important. I did some provisional routings up to Northumberland the other day and looked at suitable accommodation. Its looks like the two bank holiday weekends in May are not a good idea, as there will be less availability. So I think we should plan around the middle weekend of May? 19/20 May?

The Southerners will take 2 days up and 2 days back with 3 days there. Some of us may part trailer, or trailer the cars all the way.

I will publish the proposed getting there and back routes on My-Route App in January for people to download onto their satnavs. I have also researched some routes in Northumberland and Scotland which are recommended but we will defer to your local knowledge. Planning around 160 miles max per day.

Those of you in middle England can either drive up to the first published stop or meet us enroute somewhere. (to be determined later)

Personally I was thinking of trailering upto somewhere in Cheshire ( I have a couple of options to store a trailer there). Next day travel through Peak district then around Manchester up into a quick run through the Lakes on a great road up to Penrith, across the Pennines on A686 to Hayden Bridge where Ive found a place we could stay (say Friday 18 May night). Next 3 days hooning about Northumberland and Scottish borders. Found a provisional place to stay near the National Park. Start heading home Monday PM / Tuesday.

Alex Brandon-Smith

Post by Alex Brandon-Smith » Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:33 pm

Chaps, there are a few of us who are on a WhatsApp chat from when we organised Sportugal this year. It was quite useful to be able to use a chat system on the phones to throw ideas about.

As such, we shall create another WhatsApp group to chat on and then post up the firmer details once established...can those who want to be added PM me your numbers?

Ta

Alex
310=325! That'll be the Presidential Remap kicking in... :vroom:

Northnoble

Post by Northnoble » Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:53 pm

Off to Halkidiki on the 15th May for some sun, so won't be able to make the weekend if the 18th/19th :(

Having organised a few trips, I know it's a real pain trying to cater for everyone....will keep an eye on the post and see what weekend you land on.

GraemeW

Post by GraemeW » Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:55 am

Hi all

just an update. Will be posting up a draft itinerary next few days/ this weekend. We've locked in 19/20/ 21 May as the main event with Northern chapter guys, plus a couple of days either side for people to get there.

Assumption is all of us will do the mid three days, and some will join at various points on the getting there bit.

Craig Sams

Post by Craig Sams » Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:41 pm

That’s great Bill.

Graeme
IanG
Steve G
Alex
Steve B
Smokin
Sir Nick
CambsBill