Italy trip - 2018

Where driving is the aim of the game
GraemeW

Re: Italy trip - 2018

Post by GraemeW » Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:21 am

An update on this trip's planning. A small group of us met in London last week to begin reviewing options and timing.

Given the distances involved, we decided we cannot cover all the options mentioned in my first post and still have a decent amount of time in Italy. We considered two options;

1. ITALY TRIP: Most direct route from UK through France to Swiss border. Then through Switzerland enjoying some of their best roads and passes. Drop into northern Italy, down to Lake Garda, (missing out Dolomites) around lake, down to Modena & Bologna. Visit some of the car museums/factories. Then Florence and Tuscany. Med coast, around Italian riviera, up into french Alps and back home

2. ALPINE TRIP: same again to Switzerland then more time there, east into Austria, do the Grossglockner, drop down into the Italian Dolomites, west through Italian alps, swiss passes, some french alps and back.

Decided to do option 1, although option 2 would be awesome as well. so we can do that another year. :)

Timing wise, 2 weeks. Last week of August and first week September. Starting to put details together. Steve's given me the must haves for Switzerland. I will also talk to Osky about the Italian bits. Will prioritise night stops first so we can book, then exact routings can follow.

We have also looked at trailering the cars to Swiss border, but costs don't make sense. I may trailer my car to southern Germany where Ive got a place i can leave it, then drop down to Switzerland to meet the others.

rjygill

Post by rjygill » Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:26 am

Guys,

I agree option 1 looks fantastic.

Depending on jumping off point in the UK I may take the ferry from Hull mid Aug and hook up with the group in Switzerland.

Cheers ..

Steve Gibson
Administrator

Post by Steve Gibson » Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:07 am

Option 1 is definitely a 14 day trip. It’s too far for 10.

Bruce Fielding

Post by Bruce Fielding » Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:40 pm

Just in case anyone is considering Motorail from Dusseldorf to Verona overnight, it's quite expensive.

Vehicle €279,00
Single seats €139,00
Dinner €35,90
Breakfast €13,90
Total €467,80

That's probably around €150 more than it would cost in hotels, tolls and fuel.

wasp

Post by wasp » Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:04 pm

Bruce Fielding wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:40 pm Just in case anyone is considering Motorail from Dusseldorf to Verona overnight, it's quite expensive.

Vehicle €279,00
Single seats €139,00
Dinner €35,90
Breakfast €13,90
Total €467,80

That's probably around €150 more than it would cost in hotels, tolls and fuel.

We did this on the last Italy trip.

This does not include the sleeper carriage and I presume is the one way price?

It was cramped, noisy and generally uncomfortable even in the "luxury" cabin. From memory the total price was closer to 1300 euros.

If I was going again, I'd try and trailer the car as far south as you can, stop at a friendly hotel that will store the trailer and go from there. At least if you have a problem with the Atom, it's easy to recover it home.

Cheers,
Stu

Curves Junkie

Post by Curves Junkie » Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:56 am

wasp wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:04 pm If I was going again, I'd try and trailer the car as far south as you can, stop at a friendly hotel that will store the trailer and go from there.
+1
But I don't know no hotel in this area where you can get this offer - especially not for 3-5 or more cars and trailers. And I would never ever parking my car and trailer at a public parking there.

I'm living south-east of Stuttgart https://www.google.de/maps/@47.3055723,10.4348904,7.53z and this is only 750 kilometers from Calais to me, so if you want you can come by car and trailer or only with the Atom - you can still parking here (4 parking slots in front of my house and 50 meters away 10 more), sleep one night at a small hotel and start next morning relaxed with the Atom's your tour. You need only 3-5 hours to Swiss, Austria or Italy from here.
If you drive Calais - Belgium - Luxembourg - Germany you drive completly toll free. So you need only money for fuel and bed and breakfast - I think not more as 150-200 euro oneway starting at the french border.
That's the cheapest way and you are very flexible.

GraemeW

Post by GraemeW » Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:56 am

Alexander thanks for your kind offer. Some will drive and some may trailer. I am looking trailering myself to my brothers place in Hemmingen north west of Stuttgart, but the economics of trailering are probably not there, so we will have one long days drive and one shorter day to the Swiss border. Will let you know soon. I am looking at the routes now and have most of them but looking for appropriate hotel accommodation for each night. Steve and I may do a bit of camping at some locations. Are the others interested in that?

Curves Junkie

Post by Curves Junkie » Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:20 pm

Digger wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:56 am Alexander thanks for your kind offer. Some will drive and some may trailer. I am looking trailering myself to my brothers place in Hemmingen north west of Stuttgart
Hemmingen is 60 kilometers away from me. So we can meet us and drink a cup of tea, coffee, milk or beer. ;D
Digger wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:56 ambut the economics of trailering are probably not there, so we will have one long days drive and one shorter day to the Swiss border.
It's your decision but keep in mind that the way to the alps from the french border is round-about 1000 kilometer plus the kilometer in UK - that's oneway. So that's completly round-about 2000 to 3000 kilometer only for transit, most on highway. >:D :td:
Plus lot of kilometers you want to drive at your holidays. Now forget the semislicks, you need some wood mature on your Atoms or you chance your rubbers in Italy :H:
Digger wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:56 amI am looking at the routes now and have most of them but looking for appropriate hotel accommodation for each night. Steve and I may do a bit of camping at some locations. Are the others interested in that?
Please tell me when you want to drive now.
Let me show your routes planing - maybe by PN or here, so I can help you if you want this.
Keep in mind the speed limit in Swiss is 60 -80 km/h and the penaltiy is horrible. Oh, you think you are all British and don't pay, forget it, you have to pay on the spot. If you have more than 25 km/h on the speedo you go to jail.
Take a look at here:
https://www.ch.ch/en/driving-over-speed-limit/
https://www.bussgeldkatalog.org/geschwi ... g-schweiz/
Camping definitivly not for me.

NickDenmark

Post by NickDenmark » Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:53 pm

I wish you all a trip remembered for life. Cant join myself. Money, numberplates / street legal, and Copenhagen based is the 3 biggest issues.
But there must be some of you UK based petrolheads that just cant get enough.
So if it was me, I would for sure make a 1-2 day stop at the nürburgring on my way home, and have a blast.

Safe trip, and as mentioned. Watch those speeding cameras. New rules in Denmark / EU means that speeding tickets around EU can be sent and procecuted.

Regards Nick

Curves Junkie

Post by Curves Junkie » Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:43 pm

New information:
After July, 01 the speed limit in France outside built-up areas drop to 80 km/h.
https://www.legipermis.com/blog/2017/12 ... h-en-2018/

GraemeW

Post by GraemeW » Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:43 pm

NickDenmark wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:53 pm I wish you all a trip remembered for life. Cant join myself. Money, numberplates / street legal, and Copenhagen based is the 3 biggest issues.
So if it was me, I would for sure make a 1-2 day stop at the nürburgring on my way home, and have a blast.

Safe trip, and as mentioned. Watch those speeding cameras. New rules in Denmark / EU means that speeding tickets around EU can be sent and procecuted.

Regards Nick
Thanks Nick. We want to do a Scandinavian trip sometime. Perhaps you can join us then?
Curves Junkie wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:43 pm New information:
After July, 01 the speed limit in France outside built-up areas drop to 80 km/h.
:(

NickDenmark

Post by NickDenmark » Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:12 am

Digger wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:43 pm
NickDenmark wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:53 pm I wish you all a trip remembered for life. Cant join myself. Money, numberplates / street legal, and Copenhagen based is the 3 biggest issues.

Regards Nick
Thanks Nick. We want to do a Scandinavian trip sometime. Perhaps you can join us then?
Curves Junkie wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:43 pm New information:
:(
I would love not only to join in - but could be the Danish fixer. When time comes, I´m ready!

rjygill

Post by rjygill » Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:38 am

Gents,

Change of plan my side, I would like to leave with the group from the UK. If sailing from Southampton then I shall tie it in with a visit to the factory for a service.

Cheers lads,

Rob.

GraemeW

Post by GraemeW » Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:14 am

Thanks Rob. Noted

Because its been quiet on this topic, doesn't mean nothing's happening. The tour programme has been taking me longer than anticipated. Ive reworked the bit in central Italy several times (The tyranny of perfectionism!) There are so many options. Whatever route we take I think it will be one hell of a brilliant tour. I have been struggling with accommodation because of the high season. Again being fussy here. Hotels need to have secure parking or be in secure areas for the Atoms, be of reasonable standard, not too expensive, located at appropriate points on the itinery, not fully booked (some have room for maybe just me, but that doesn't help!) etc etc.

There is also the tension between the focus on a driving holiday, and time to visit and soak up interesting places. Given time constraints the bias is on driving holiday, with some time planned into each overnighter to soak up the local attractions or just rest. Ive planned in a 2 night stop at one location mid tour, in Tuscany, but may extend that to 3, with rest days or day trips out.

Ive set the target of getting the stops out before end Feb so we can get booking etc. we can then play with the routes within that framework afterwards.

It seems like there will be 3 meeting points...

1. Dover on Saturday 25 August for those departing together ex UK.
2. Switzerland (probably Interlaken) at mid day Monday 27 August. I may trailer my car to my brother's in Germany and drive down to Switzerland. Or, be in group 1 above. Still to decide
3. Friday 31 August. Meet up with Osky in Bologna.

We can later work out where, when & who's meeting & departing the group

Graeme

GraemeW

Post by GraemeW » Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:24 am

If anyone else is seriously thinking of joint this tour let me know. It has a bearing on selecting hotels. Because of limited capacity in some places I am looking for between 4 to 5 room capacity available. Depending on location

So far I have 6 possibles. Not necessarily stopping with us at all locations. (Yes I know, you need to see the programme first :) )

Myself
Sir Nick
Steve Gibson
Mr Lizard
Ryygill

Curves Junkie in Germany may join us for part
Osky in Italy may join us for part