Re: European trip - Sunday 25 August to Thursday 5 September 2019

Where driving is the aim of the game
GraemeW

Re: European trip - 24 August to 7 September 2019

Post by GraemeW » Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:05 pm

Forgot to mention I probably will not be trailering now. I have found some locations near Swiss border which could be investigated though.

GraemeW

Post by GraemeW » Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:16 am

So no takers so far? Ive got 5 or 6 possibles. I don't want to be Billy Nomads up in the mountains. Need 3 or 4 cars for a viable trip? It will be an awesome trip covering the majority of the best driving roads in the Alps.

Good news Ive finally pinned down the final draft. Draft because will take some feedback. Minor-ish changes only. Don't say lets go to Norway instead. I think by weekend finalise, so I can issue hotel list to those going.

The routes are on the Ariel Club MyRouteApp page under the folder "2019 Ariels in the Alps (DRAFT)" Yes maybe not quite catchy enough name, open to suggestions. Have a look and let me have any feedback.

Notes...

1. Apart from getting there and getting back days in France Ive limited daily drives to about 100 to 120 miles, so there is time to relax, soak up local atmosphere, climb a mountain, blow an alpine horn or go to the smallest whisky bar in the world. Or you can go on another driving excursion if you want.
2. Ive added in 2 rest days to chill or do some more of the above. (Interlaken and Lausanne)
3. Picked driving roads the Atoms (and Nomads) will love, but if any Nomads come along then we can add in some rough stuff so you can live life literally on the edge higher up in the mountains on gravel with no barriers :-)
4. Hotels selected range between £70 and £150. One is about £200 a night....last one in Switzerland in Lausanne. Thought we could treat ourselves at end of trip given its location and facilities. there are others in all locations if you want to book elsewhere. All selected hotels have secure (or off main road) parking. We need to get booking soon as availability is going quickly.
5. The trip has been reduced from 16 days to 13.

Summary of route (Times from MyRouteApp, Ariels will probably be quicker ;D )

Day 1 - Sunday 25 Aug: Calais to Troyes on A26 motorway. Perhaps stop off at obligatory Reims Gueux race track. 258 miles. 4 hours driving.
Day 2 - Monday 26 Aug: Troyes to Pontarlier, France. Get off the motorway and enjoy some of those great rural French roads. 180 miles 4h20m.
Day 3 - Tuesday 27 Aug: Cross into Switzerland, around Neuchatel, cross the Gurnigel pass to Interlaken. 115 miles 3 hours driving.
Day 4 - Wednesday 28 Aug: Rest Day. Perhaps go up into the mountains. Lots of great options.
Day 5 - Thursday 29 Aug: Drive over Susten and Klausen passes up to little town called Murg on Walensee. 122 miles. 3h18m driving.
Day 6 - Friday 30 Aug: Down towards Klosters/Davos, over Fluellapass, Fuorn pass, cross into Italy, Stelvio Pass (timed to minimise traffic) to Bormio. 134 miles. 3h24m driving
Day 7 - Saturday 31 Aug: From Bormio over Gavia pass, around and back into Switzerland. Over Bernina pass and St Moritz. 100miles. 2h45m.
Day 8 - Sunday 1 Sep: From St Mortiz over Julierpass, around and over San Bernadino pass, down to Lugano. Hotel has individual garages for each car below your room :) 115 miles. 2h47m.
Day 9 - Monday 2 Sep: Head north from Lugano, St Gottard pass, Furka pass (James Bond strasse), Grimsel pass to just before Interlaken on Brienzer See. 121 miles. 2h55m.
Day 10 - Tuesday 3 Sep: Take picturesque route through central Switzerland down to Lausanne on lake Geneva. 101miles. 2h37m.
Day 11 - Wednesday 4 Sep: Rest day in Lausanne. Lie by the pool or do the touristy stuff.
Day 12 - Thursday 5 Sep: Start trip back across France. Reverse of Day 2, except hotel south of Troyes. Might change route. 206 miles. 5hours.
Day 13 - Friday 6 Sep: Troyes to Calais on A26 and home. 263 miles. 3h37m

If you want to come you need to commit soon so you can book hotels. Should be a trip of a lifetime.

Rob Evans

Post by Rob Evans » Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:43 pm

Graeme,

I'm still on board.

Rob.

GraemeW

Post by GraemeW » Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:18 pm

Great. Lets start a list....

Graeme
Sir Nick
Craig Sams
Rob Evans

& I know others actively considering. Best get those hotel details written up then....

GraemeW

Post by GraemeW » Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:08 am

Ive got some additional drivers on Facebook.

Ive finalised hotel list but had to change two as they filled up between identifying them and trying to book. So I will email spreadsheet of hotels to those planning to travel. I would urge you to book asap as they're filling up. I apologise for getting these out late this year.

I have booked rooms with cancellation option. In most cases that is a bit more expensive, but it gives maximum flexibility. You decide. If the more reasonable rooms are sold out at that location then there are nearly always alternative hotels, with car parking as well.

GraemeW

Post by GraemeW » Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:10 am

PS ...Ive booked all my hotels. Got the best rooms :) Organisers privilege

I haven't booked Channel Tunnel, but suggest we go for 0920 departure from Folkstone on 25 August?

Karl V

Post by Karl V » Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:20 pm

[mention]GraemeW[/mention] I've tried really hard to make the dates work, but with the kids being off until beginning September, I'm on childcare duty I'm afraid.

I'm proper gutted and hope you guys have an amazing time.

I'll make sure to remind the boss about my sacrifice this year when it comes to the next Euro trip. She owes me!

GraemeW

Post by GraemeW » Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:24 pm

Sorry to hear that. Must make next years mid July or early September. There’s always the highland hoon in May 2020. Think I need to get myself a nomad for that

Karl V

Post by Karl V » Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:27 pm

Nothing wrong with a bit of hooniganism!

rowmrob

Post by rowmrob » Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:55 am

That is a great looking trip and I know takes a long time to plan.
We drove from Bormio up to Gavia Pass as you are planing on day 7, this road has lots of unmade parts with large pot holes, not much fun in an Atom. Very slow going and narrow road down the other side. If I went again I would avoid driving this road. This road alone will take 2 hours to drive.

GraemeW

Post by GraemeW » Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:25 am

thanks for the update. We can skirt around it on the other road down from Bormio. I haven't driven it, but only included it because it was recommended, but I guess they were not driving in an atom. :)

All the routes will be checked and tweaked a bit before final issue

GraemeW

Post by GraemeW » Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:47 pm

We have a list of those going so far..

Graeme
Sir Nick
Rob Evans
Craig Sams
Dunny (provisional)

4 atoms and 1 nomad. Any other Nomads???

Ive sent out the hotels list, to these, and if any others coming then please advise soonest, as hotels getting booked up. You can book with no penalty cancellation if you wish, if plans change.

GraemeW

Re: European trip - 25 August to 5 September 2019

Post by GraemeW » Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:19 am

An update...

Weve dropped one rest day. Now 12 day trip. Leaves Sunday 25 August, returns Thursday 5 September

Current members

Graeme (Atom)
Sir Nick (Atom)
Rob Evans (Atom)
Mr & Mrs Dunny (Nomad)

4 others considering, including 1 from Austria

Route on MyRoute-App. Draft only, minor updates required, like dropped rest day in Lausanne, and other small route changes.

If you considering joining us, decide soon as hotel accommodation is filling up. PM me for Hotel list.

GraemeW

Re: European trip - Sunday 25 August to Thursday 5 September 2019

Post by GraemeW » Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:21 am

I have a WhatsApp group for general daily updates on this trip, so if you decide to join send me your mobile number also, so I can add you

Curves Junkie

Post by Curves Junkie » Fri Jun 28, 2019 5:28 pm

rowmrob wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:55 am We drove from Bormio up to Gavia Pass as you are planing on day 7, this road has lots of unmade parts with large pot holes, not much fun in an Atom. Very slow going and narrow road down the other side. If I went again I would avoid driving this road. This road alone will take 2 hours to drive.
Are you sure??
Unmade parts at Gavia or are you confusing that with the Umbrai. There is a part of maybe 1/2 mile unmade. But its not a problem to pass the Umbrai with the Atom. Correct the road condition are not excellent at Gavia.
Pot holes - you find it on ALL Passes equal in the Switch, France or Italy. Believe me, that you can drive all passes with your Atom- they are all my playground the whole year and I am driving with a really hard damper-setup front and rear. The day before yesterday I came back again from a 8 day trip at Swiss/France/Italy alps.

Keep in mind - that you are sitting on the wrong side as driver, so you have big problems to pass other cars. And you are not very quick on driving at the mountains.

[mention]GraemeW[/mention] At day 4 you all have a rest day at Interlaken.
Interlaken is not far away from Meiringen - where the Reichenbach Falls are.
You can make a day trip where Sherlock Holmes had the fight with Moriarty.
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/She ... d8.1834237
https://www.grimselwelt.ch/en/transport ... enbachfall