Bought a BAC Mono instead of a sequential Atom 4

Entertainment and stuff that has nothing to do with the models themselves...
speedmachine

Bought a BAC Mono instead of a sequential Atom 4

Post by speedmachine » Sat Jan 16, 2021 8:21 pm

Hi Guys,

After being in and out an Atom since 2010, I thought there might be people interested in my current toy.
Just wanted to share the purchase I made. I was on the 3 year list for a 4, but was afraid Brexit would make registration very difficult after 2020, so decided to invest a little more and buy a 1200 mile 2017 Mono. Don't get this topic wrong, I am still very much an Atom enthusiast.

The most funny thing is that I kind of expected it to be quite equal to an Atom, as both have over 300hp and weigh around 600kg, but I could not be more wrong! These 2 cars are absolutely nothing a like...handling is totally different. Where my 3.5 SC gave me the feeling at 100 miles an hour like I was driving double that speed and you could very much notice it struggled against frontal forces from 120 miles an hour, the Mono is rocksolid and stable all the way up to Vmax, it accelerates as hard from 120-160mph as it does from 60-100.
The bad thing off course is you tend to drive it much, much faster, which isn't very good for my drivers licences. I always liked how the Atom was the most fun on the street up to 100mph, but this one has that same thing, but is as fun above...

The amount of engineering and detail in the car is mind blowing, so so different from the Atom, which I love for its simplicity. This thing has no simplicity, anywhere. It also feels much more like a supercar than a toy, but than lighter and more engaged.

Than the drivers position, for me this is (together with the insanely cool gearbox) the number 1 highlight of the car, you lay down in the car, just like in a formula car and this position together with the car surrounding your body really snug and the Formula-style steering wheel, makes you feel you are actually in a race car on the road, surrounded by normal cars.
You are so surrounded by the interior of the car, you cant imagine, my nose is underneath the gunsight/window, thats how low I am.

This brings me to another great feature. Being so low in the car makes it far more usable in lower temperatures. I had the windshield and sidepanels on my latest 3.5 and even with those on it was freezing when making a highway drive longer than 1 minute, when ambient temp was under 12 degrees celcius or such. I drove this thing home for 2 hours at 0 degrees ambient and I wasn't even cold...No wind in my trousers, no wind in my neck, nothing.
Again, this added to the Atom experience, but it is different and for now it feels better to me. Mostly because I can drive it without windshield and still not have to worry about a painful neck afterwards (which was the main problem for me driving without windshield which I liked more than with a shield, but had no choice)

oh and the ceramic brakes and Carbon wheels are just fantastic

Well I will add some pics and video's, hope you like it and if someone wants to know anything specific, feel free to post here.

here is a little walk around with some nice details, the visible carbon instead of decals is a one car special for me :)
I am not a native english speaker, so excuse the bad english

This is what it sounds through a gopro with a bad microfone and what it goes like in a straight line on semi dry streets at 1 degree ambient. traction control is interfering all the time, but wanted to share the sound anyway

robfitz

Re: bought a BAC Mono instead of a sequential Atom 4

Post by robfitz » Sun Jan 17, 2021 1:34 am

Very, very nice. They had a run of these on collecting cars going in the mid 60s and I thought they looked amazing value for that. Great looking thing and beautifully made.
GR Yaris CP for when it rains, Atom 4 for when it doesn’t.

AlanP

Post by AlanP » Sun Jan 17, 2021 7:03 am

Roy,

I've shared your pictures and the walk around with all my enthusiast mates, you know I love that car! If you ever bring it back to UK please call in for a beer!!

Fabulous, fabulous thing.

A
Beautiful 2000 XJR, last ever supercharged Atom, Fiesta Active, 'Verstappen' Honda e, Focus, Jaguar iPace, Volcano Yellow, MSO Black Pack 720S Spider.

speedmachine

Post by speedmachine » Sun Jan 17, 2021 7:28 am

robfitz wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 1:34 am Very, very nice. They had a run of these on collecting cars going in the mid 60s and I thought they looked amazing value for that. Great looking thing and beautifully made.
That is indeed amazing value! Those where the very early cosworth 2.3 versions (I think they where chassis 2 and 3), those cars where ex rsr racing cars and thus lower priced. Apart from that those are a lot less valuable because those 2.3 engines need rebuilds and other little things.
But those sales actually made me think about one and start searching!

atomiser

Post by atomiser » Sun Jan 17, 2021 9:18 am

Really good writeup and ideal read on Sunday with a cuppa!!

Yes, lusted after one of these for quite a while - beautifully engineered, looks stunning, really good sound track, proper downforce and therefore very quick. Its really in a different league to the atom and also different price bracket when new. The radical sport rxc turbo is another one that i looked at as a replacement.

Maybe one day.

However the atom has the edge for me; it feels like 100mph at 30 for you and your mate/OH with lots of drama, feedback/feel and sensory overload. Its also very reliable under track conditions and customer care/support is top notch from the factory.

robfitz

Post by robfitz » Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:24 am

speedmachine wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 7:28 am
robfitz wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 1:34 am Very, very nice. They had a run of these on collecting cars going in the mid 60s and I thought they looked amazing value for that. Great looking thing and beautifully made.
That is indeed amazing value! Those where the very early cosworth 2.3 versions (I think they where chassis 2 and 3), those cars where ex rsr racing cars and thus lower priced. Apart from that those are a lot less valuable because those 2.3 engines need rebuilds and other little things.
Makes sense - these are normally 6 figures aren’t they. Wondered at the time but put it down to timing during lockdown.
GR Yaris CP for when it rains, Atom 4 for when it doesn’t.

dannsimmons

Post by dannsimmons » Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:09 am

Great to hear this. Mono owners are even a more rare breed than Atom owners, so it’s brilliant to read about a Mono from the perspective of someone who owned an Atom. I can completely imagine all the points you make. For me the sequential gear box isn’t everything so the prices comparison would be even greater to go from my order for an Atom 4 to a Mono - especially one that didn’t need work/rebuilding engines. I guess there will always be something greater or better on the other side - and it’s great to hear about those things.. and it makes me grateful that I’m in that pretty small club of folks who get to drive a toy! My Atom puts a huge smile on my face every time I see it. A Mono would do the same - but I couldn’t share the experience with anyone. Do you miss being able to offer a ride - or did you keep your older Atom also?
Thanks for a wonderful read. I’m sure all here would appreciate the time you took to post. 👍🏼

Karl V

Post by Karl V » Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:17 am

Sorry to be boring, but I'm itching to know what it's like to get in and out of. Do you need extra long legs?

Love it though. Big congrats speedmachine!

atomiser

Post by atomiser » Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:54 am

Iirc you just get close and step into the seat once belts/steering wheel are out the way then sit/slide down.

It seemed easier than the atom cup because of the lack of rollbar and the bac bodywork for holding onto.

Karl V

Post by Karl V » Sun Jan 17, 2021 12:02 pm

Just seems quite a wide area to 'step over' compared to the Atom, but maybe not...

Certainly looks easier than the Nomad mount/dismount ;-)

What a machine!

Peter255

Post by Peter255 » Sun Jan 17, 2021 5:20 pm

Lovely!

But how much was it if you don't mind..... They are a bit pricey from memory!
Atom 4, Clio v6, & some other cars obviously.

yogiatom1

Post by yogiatom1 » Sun Jan 17, 2021 5:25 pm

Its on my list of cars I hope to own one day.

Corky

Post by Corky » Sun Jan 17, 2021 5:37 pm

Stunning. Such presence. Well done.
Atom 4
Porsche 992 GTS

Fastlane

Post by Fastlane » Sun Jan 17, 2021 6:20 pm

Another fantastic British-made machine, well done. Judging by the factory listed cars, even second hand, I would imagine that was a lot more then even a fully optioned up Atom 4 with the Quaife gearbox. It looks like it has the wheels and brakes from the latest model - did you ask for them to be upgraded or were they already on the car? Who will look after it for you in the Netherlands, or will it go back to Liverpool each year for fettling? As a matter of interest what are the servicing cost compared to the Atom?
2008 Supercharged Atom 3, Tesla Model 3 Long Range

speedmachine

Post by speedmachine » Sun Jan 17, 2021 6:22 pm

robfitz wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:24 am
speedmachine wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 7:28 am
Makes sense - these are normally 6 figures aren’t they. Wondered at the time but put it down to timing during lockdown.
new price of my car was a bit above 200k pounds incl options incl vat

Peter255 wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 5:20 pm Lovely!

But how much was it if you don't mind..... They are a bit pricey from memory!
they asked 140k, I negotiated a bit
Karl V wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:17 am Sorry to be boring, but I'm itching to know what it's like to get in and out of. Do you need extra long legs?

Love it though. Big congrats speedmachine!
In and out is exactly like the atom, but the entry is lower so it looks a bit more elegant stepping in. Getting out looks a little less elegant because I have to crawl up until I can get my hands on the side and do a shoulder press in order to get out.
atomiser wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 9:18 am Really good writeup and ideal read on Sunday with a cuppa!!

Yes, lusted after one of these for quite a while - beautifully engineered, looks stunning, really good sound track, proper downforce and therefore very quick. Its really in a different league to the atom and also different price bracket when new. The radical sport rxc turbo is another one that i looked at as a replacement.

Maybe one day.

However the atom has the edge for me; it feels like 100mph at 30 for you and your mate/OH with lots of drama, feedback/feel and sensory overload. Its also very reliable under track conditions and customer care/support is top notch from the factory.
For me it is a dream come true, exactly like what the Atom was in 2010 when I bought my first Atom 2 SC. Same story, read about it in TG magazine and than saw Jeremy driving it and it never left the bucket list. Only the Atom is far more reachable, I had to do big stretch of budget in order to make it happen...but you only live ones.

This car seems to be super reliable as well, but the big difference is that the Atom is made to be the best price-driving fun quality and they succeeded in the best possible way. It is great fun and I dont know yet which I like more in the long term.
The Mono is made to be the best and the most beautiful, and for me they had the same succes doing this as Ariel had.
But it comes at a price, a full racing engine needs other attention than a stock Honda with SC. And everything is expensive on this car when you compare to the Ariel factory, labour is 110ex vat for instance, parts...well everything is carbon...no words needed.

I do have to say they have THE BEST service ever. I mean nothing bad about the Ariel factory as they have GREAT service, but BAC is in an other level. They work with whatsapp incl videocall and are available all the time, weekends, evenings, all the time. When I have a problem alongside the road and have some doubt what to do I send a whatsapp and have answer in 30 seconds...The mechanics are great car enthusiasts and love how I fiddle around myself and support this just as good as the big boys who have them do everything.

dannsimmons wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:09 am Great to hear this. Mono owners are even a more rare breed than Atom owners, so it’s brilliant to read about a Mono from the perspective of someone who owned an Atom. I can completely imagine all the points you make. For me the sequential gear box isn’t everything so the prices comparison would be even greater to go from my order for an Atom 4 to a Mono - especially one that didn’t need work/rebuilding engines. I guess there will always be something greater or better on the other side - and it’s great to hear about those things.. and it makes me grateful that I’m in that pretty small club of folks who get to drive a toy! My Atom puts a huge smile on my face every time I see it. A Mono would do the same - but I couldn’t share the experience with anyone. Do you miss being able to offer a ride - or did you keep your older Atom also?
Thanks for a wonderful read. I’m sure all here would appreciate the time you took to post. 👍🏼
I had some doubt wether or not writing this topic, as sometimes brand forums are not really open minded (I once mentioned on the Viper forum that I thought about buying a corvette as well...) But during my search I missed good feedback from people coming out of an Atom, now I have one I find that lots of people make this step or keep both.

I wasn't able to keep both cars, thats a pitty because I'll really miss that car, but to answer your question, I love how I am not able to give people a ride. In the atom I felt like a taxi driver, that wasnt fun anymore after some years and when I have far less driving time due to 2 terrorists in my house drawing my attention. So enjoy stepping in and saying to my neighbour "would have loved to take you with me, thats a big downside" and dont mean a thing :)

there are just a handfull of people I would want to give the experience and that are people with likewise cars. For instance AlanP gave me a ride in his R and from that point I knew I HAD to have a sequential, I would love to share this experience with him because he can see the exact differences. My other friends just think "he another open top fast car"