EVs don't suit everyone.

Entertainment and stuff that has nothing to do with the models themselves...
Anon

Re: Daily Driver

Post by Anon » Sat Oct 03, 2020 4:23 pm

Hedge wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 4:00 pm Without wishing to wade in too deep here, the biggest caveat for EV's for me is having the ability to charge them from home.
Careful Hedge, he will accuse you of talking rubbish in a minute...

phil4

Post by phil4 » Sat Oct 03, 2020 4:32 pm

simonrhart wrote:
phil4 wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 2:44 pm
Yes, please go and enjoy your atom, just don't keep posting rubbish about things you seem not to know about.
Wow, you seem a little sensitive on this. In fact, I probably know a lot more about this technology than you do even though you were silly enough to go buy a Tesla, just please stop with the EV fanboy rubbish and tell people how it is. I was actually trying to be polite. I know quite a bit how the batteries are made, the supply chain process, how the motors are made and how the networks work or rather don't etc. etc. for reasons I won't explain.

Oddly for someone who claims to know so much, everything you’ve said demonstrates you don’t.

I’m no EV fanboy, and I know exactly how “it is”. I’m also not sensitive, I genuinely couldn’t care less what you drive. But don’t post rubbish. Simple.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anon

Post by Anon » Sat Oct 03, 2020 5:35 pm

This is my last comment on this. You keep saying I am talking rubbish even though everyone else is saying the same thing, but you're not even saying what is rubbish about it :roflp: So your argument is rubbish, sorry. I'd say you are misleading people on the merits of EV tech. It's just not there yet, so you sir, please stop talking rubbish.

Hedge

Post by Hedge » Sat Oct 03, 2020 5:43 pm

phil4 wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 4:04 pmHedge, for sure doesn’t work for everyone... and there are plenty as you say who can’t charge at home. No idea how the govt intend to fix that btw. They need to though.
I hope they can. As you say, no idea how though. Shame, cos I do like the idea of an EV.

Cheers,
Hedge

phil4

Daily Driver

Post by phil4 » Sat Oct 03, 2020 5:48 pm

I've already told you -exactly- what you've said that is rubbish... I'll do it here for a second time:
simonrhart wrote:Imagine buying an Ariel where you can only fill up at a certain petrol station - welcome to EV.
Everyone else is not saying the same thing. Each has cited specific own world experiences of why either an EV doesn't work for them, or why they have one but don't use it for specific tasks. Indeed I believe there have been 3 or 4 who have said they have an EV and why they like them. I have never said the EV works for everyone... indeed I've said it doesn't.

Misleading people on the merits... yes, of course... what applies to me is just lies isn't it.

Try actually talking from experience rather than what you've "decided" is everyone elses truth.

CAG3D

Post by CAG3D » Sat Oct 03, 2020 5:48 pm

I think the government has more important worries in the coming years, than putting an EV infrastructure into place.

Typical, pushing something that isn’t good enough or nearly ready.

Plus the Green credentials are more than questionable..... but no one wants to discuss that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Karl V

Post by Karl V » Sat Oct 03, 2020 6:11 pm

CAG3D wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 5:48 pm I think the government has more important worries in the coming years, than putting an EV infrastructure into place.
Yet as of last week, they were proposing to bring the ban of sales of new ICE cars forward from 2035 to 2030 - so in 9 year's time.

Makes you wonder...

Fastlane

Post by Fastlane » Sat Oct 03, 2020 6:55 pm

These sorts of discussions are going on all over car forums. EVs are seen by the vast majority of governments as the future for transportation, like it or not. The amount of money being invested by the private sector in EVs and the associated technology is staggering, so all of the current perceived problems with EVs are being addressed by lots of very clever people with more money and resources than we all can imagine.

For example, VW is intending to sell Bugatti to the Croatian EV hypercar maker Rimac. That says a lot about EV development in the future - VW realise that a small EV start up from Croatia is probably better placed than they are to do justice to a brand like Bugatti.

For an increasing number of petrolheads, EVs are very appealing, but the away-from-home charging infrastructure does need to improve and I am sure that it will.

(Can we please all agree not to use the American (and childish) term "fanboy/i").
2008 Supercharged Atom 3, Tesla Model 3 Long Range

robfitz

Post by robfitz » Sat Oct 03, 2020 7:24 pm

The Bugatti deal isn’t a sale - in return they are getting a larger (majority) stake in Rimac, so effectively they are swapping a minority stake in Bugatti (because they’ll still indirectly own most of it) for a majority stake in Rimac and their EV tech.
GR Yaris CP for when it rains, Atom 4 for when it doesn’t.

Anon

Post by Anon » Sat Oct 03, 2020 9:11 pm

robfitz wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 7:24 pm The Bugatti deal isn’t a sale - in return they are getting a larger (majority) stake in Rimac, so effectively they are swapping a minority stake in Bugatti (because they’ll still indirectly own most of it) for a majority stake in Rimac and their EV tech.
Yes and I have been to the VW HQ in Wolfsberg - a 2hr train journey from Berlin - VW are not stupid - the opposite in fact, they have some really smart people there.
Fastlane wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 6:55 pm (Can we please all agree not to use the American (and childish) term "fanboy/i").

No we cannot, sorry.

Jerry

Post by Jerry » Sat Oct 03, 2020 11:57 pm

VW are very clever, they duped millions of people into buying contaminating diesel cars via their ECU "fix". Amazing how quickly people forget. I had a diesel Towrag at the time and did't realise what this car was doing to the environment (yes, I know it wasn't on the VW list of contaminators). Consequently, I try to avoid VAG produced cars as they are produced by lying bastards.

Coincidentally, I agree with the EV owners citing the drawbacks of said cars, I nearly bought one a number of years ago to travel 120 miles to work, here in was the problem.There wasn't a charger in the vicinity to charge it for the return journey, even though charging was not a problem, with off street parking. Therefore, to buy one today it must have a real world range of 300 miles and as Hedge said a place to charge it when away from Main Base. Hence, I-Pace, but its too expensive and borderline range, which means Hybrid is the compromise.

Toyota, have just released for sale the real solution, a Hydrogen car, but that is priced at unbelievable £66k for an odd looking family saloon. furthermore, as mentioned above there isn't the infrastructure in place to support it.

fesuvious

Post by fesuvious » Sun Oct 04, 2020 6:48 am

VW didn't do anything other than design a vehicle that went through a test others designed and defined.

I have sympathy with them.

If the test wasn't thorough enough or 'correct' in terms of generating a result then why blame VW?

Many of us realised for years that the false response of the engine (and smell) when stationary on throttle wasn't right.

If it's legal when tested, it's legal.

But then I am a racer......and fan of Smokey Yunick

SvenTheHammer

Post by SvenTheHammer » Sun Oct 04, 2020 5:53 pm

phil4 wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 5:48 pm I've already told you -exactly- what you've said that is rubbish... I'll do it here for a second time:
simonrhart wrote:Imagine buying an Ariel where you can only fill up at a certain petrol station - welcome to EV.
Everyone else is not saying the same thing. Each has cited specific own world experiences of why either an EV doesn't work for them, or why they have one but don't use it for specific tasks. Indeed I believe there have been 3 or 4 who have said they have an EV and why they like them. I have never said the EV works for everyone... indeed I've said it doesn't.

Misleading people on the merits... yes, of course... what applies to me is just lies isn't it.

Try actually talking from experience rather than what you've "decided" is everyone elses truth.
I totally agree with you Phil.

I’m bored senseless with the waffle that’s been coming out of Simon Hart’s gob over the last few months.

I’ve never known of such an opinionated bloke, who thinks he knows everything about anything, it’s boring.

Yes, everyone has an opinion. But sometimes it’s good to keep it to yourself.

IanG

Re: EVs don't suit everyone.

Post by IanG » Sun Oct 04, 2020 8:09 pm

Sven
your are star :tu:
Just needed someone to say it

atomiser

Re: EVs don't suit everyone.

Post by atomiser » Mon Oct 05, 2020 8:30 am

TbH, I'm for whichever EV or ICE is the cheapest on whole life cycle costs for load lugging - Deprecation and initial purchase being the biggest factor here. S/H ICEs are cheap as chips. 335D 3yo are bargains!

Not with standing practicality and load lugging ability, reliability is also a factor. EVs are not there yet (80% chance of breaking down after 3 years and 5.4 days to repair according to Which?) but once the main manufacturers get hold of EVs the simplicity of the PU and drive train should pay dividends here!

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk