EVs don't suit everyone.

Entertainment and stuff that has nothing to do with the models themselves...
Karl V

Re: EVs don't suit everyone.

Post by Karl V » Mon Oct 05, 2020 8:58 pm

phil4 wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 8:36 pm This is plenty biased, and I wouldn’t trust the stats given at the start, but hopefully gives you some idea of the ways they’re currently trying to solve the problem:

https://pod-point.com/electric-car-news ... o-driveway
Couldn't they just line the streets with diesel generators? Works wonders for the burger van at Wickes.

Hedge

Post by Hedge » Tue Oct 06, 2020 2:38 pm

phil4 wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 8:36 pmThis is plenty biased, and I wouldn’t trust the stats given at the start, but hopefully gives you some idea of the ways they’re currently trying to solve the problem: https://pod-point.com/electric-car-news ... o-driveway
Interesting article, thanks for posting.

This stood out for me:

"The majority (it’s roughly 60:40) of UK dwellings have off street parking. But it gets better. Those who don’t drive cars are over-represented in the dwellings with no car parking. PWC recently estimated that a stunning 84% of UK drivers have access to off-street parking at home".

Hmmm, 84%. Really? I struggle with that a little. Even if you simply selected a few major cities in the UK: London, Manchester, Birmingham, Cardiff etc etc. And then estimated how many of those (car-owning) dwellings didn't have car parking. All those cities/ numbers; they'd account for only 16%.

Dunno. It was PWC who did the survey so it has some credence. Just doesn't feel right, to me, that's all.

Cheers,
Hedge

phil4

Post by phil4 » Tue Oct 06, 2020 2:56 pm

Hedge, I completely agree... and even if they were right, so what? There are still a -lot-, a huge number, of people that don't have suitable off-street parking. That's why I'd take those numbers with a massive pinch of salt, and indeed, even if right, doesn't mean it helps. Yes it was PWC, but what was the question asked of them, and do podpoint have a vested interest? (they do, as they make home charging points).

I think the ideas are more interesting, and I've certainly seen some popup bollard, street light type experiments around... it's whether they can be made to work widely I guess.

atomiser

Post by atomiser » Tue Oct 06, 2020 4:00 pm

CAG3D wrote:Anyway, I want an ENGINE

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yep - I've got a quote for V8 with an epic soundtrack to do my bit for the planet ... sorry not quite ready for whirring of electric motors, range anxiety, inside like a Ford fiesta, iffy build quality and long term reliability that only a disco owner would understand.

.. but come 2030, when Elon's nailed quality/reliability, ICEs are taxed to death, I have 100 mile round trip for petrol and I'm not allowed anywhere near cities - I may regret the above statement.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

autobackup

Post by autobackup » Tue Oct 06, 2020 5:04 pm

What happens when, in your environmentally friendly EV with 30% charge remaining, you get back to your house after a long day on the road/office (with on street parking) and all the spaces with a 'Pod' charger are already occupied.
What do you do then?
Atom 3.5R (Cyprus)
Honda CRV 2.2 Ex Auto i-DTEC (Cyprus)
Suzuki Celerio 1.0 SZ4 (Cyprus)
Honda CRV Ex I-MMD eCVT Hybrid (UK)

Steve Gibson
Administrator

Post by Steve Gibson » Tue Oct 06, 2020 5:14 pm

There has been talk of mobile charging units/vehicles. You don't find a charge point — it finds you. Whether you're at home, on holiday or stranded somewhere. The fact remains, though, that the infrastructure for nationwide EV adoption is a loooong way off. It's why hydrogen must be part of the solution too, and is being prepped to serve commercial vehicles, public transport and similar.
First Atomised 2001.
Atom (165) > Atom 2 (220) > Atom 3 (300) > Atom 3.5 (310) > Atom 4 (350).
There is no cure.

Peter255

Post by Peter255 » Tue Oct 06, 2020 7:48 pm

When driverless cars become the norm all these issues will go away.

There is no need to have all these cars sitting by the side of the road waiting to be used or re-charged.

You won't have your own car, you will just call one from your phone and it will take you where you need to go.

Then parking and charging issues are removed as the system just manages the vehicles, recharging them as necessary.

Cars can then be pooled and total volumes hugely lower.

Its just a question of how long it takes to be approved and rolled out. Just like Uber but automated. :)

I will keep a toy (or two >:D ) tho for playtime / tracktime. Preferable as "manual and analogue" as possible. :vroom:
Atom 4, Clio v6, & some other cars obviously.

CAG3D

Post by CAG3D » Tue Oct 06, 2020 11:41 pm

Let’s hope not in our lifetime Pete.

Italianpaul

Post by Italianpaul » Wed Oct 07, 2020 5:11 am

Wasn't there talk of a wireless charging facility with the charging point in the roads. If memory servers me right, I think Sheffield were trialing this technology with some of the taxis ranks in the city.

That would solve the problem with on street parking.

GraemeW

Post by GraemeW » Wed Oct 07, 2020 10:14 am

I visited a friend in SW London recently, who lives in one of those high density terraced housing streets with no off street parking. I noted the neighbours had a BMW i3 which was being charged via a cable passed out the front room window and through the sidewalk tree branches in front of the house to the car in the street. Wouldn't have thought that was legal?

AlanP

Post by AlanP » Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:27 pm

We've had a Honda E for 7 weeks. Done 1700 and a bit miles and absolutely love it. We're lucky enough to have off street parking and every day I wake up and it's full up. Range anxiety? That's picking my daughter up from school with a range of 3 miles and needing a trip to the petrol station.
If we want to drive 200 miles we'll use another car.

I probably love my Ariel as much as anyone on here does theirs, but the little electric car really does have its charms and its benefits. Sprightly little bugger as well.

Each to their own, but don't dis it as a 2nd or 3rd car.

A
Beautiful 2000 XJR, last ever supercharged Atom, Fiesta Active, 'Verstappen' Honda e, Focus, Jaguar iPace, Volcano Yellow, MSO Black Pack 720S Spider.

AlanP

Post by AlanP » Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:31 pm

And Tony

I'm a little disappointed you've canceled the Taycan.

A
Beautiful 2000 XJR, last ever supercharged Atom, Fiesta Active, 'Verstappen' Honda e, Focus, Jaguar iPace, Volcano Yellow, MSO Black Pack 720S Spider.

CAG3D

Post by CAG3D » Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:34 pm

Yeh, I’ve got the Jaguar iPace, and as you said, as a 2nd car, perfect. But to have an all Electric iPace and Taycan and my long journey car to be the Atom, not ideal......

AlanP

Re: Daily Driver

Post by AlanP » Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:07 pm

SvenTheHammer wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 5:53 pm
phil4 wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 5:48 pm I've already told you -exactly- what you've said that is rubbish... I'll do it here for a second time:
simonrhart wrote:Imagine buying an Ariel where you can only fill up at a certain petrol station - welcome to EV.
Everyone else is not saying the same thing. Each has cited specific own world experiences of why either an EV doesn't work for them, or why they have one but don't use it for specific tasks. Indeed I believe there have been 3 or 4 who have said they have an EV and why they like them. I have never said the EV works for everyone... indeed I've said it doesn't.

Misleading people on the merits... yes, of course... what applies to me is just lies isn't it.

Try actually talking from experience rather than what you've "decided" is everyone elses truth.
I totally agree with you Phil.

I’m bored senseless with the waffle that’s been coming out of Simon Hart’s gob over the last few months.

I’ve never known of such an opinionated bloke, who thinks he knows everything about anything, it’s boring.

Yes, everyone has an opinion. But sometimes it’s good to keep it to yourself.
He annoyed me so much I've not been in for weeks. Well said!

cvjoint

Post by cvjoint » Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:56 pm

Hedge wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 6:33 pm If you want to go full militant, you could of course quote this from a recent(ish) article in the LA Times:

"When a SpaceX Falcon Heavy rocket blasts off on a plume of white smoke, hot gases shoot out of its 27 engines, creating a thrust equal to 18 Boeing 747 aircraft. Upon reaching orbit, the world’s heaviest operational rocket will have burned about 400 metric tons of kerosene and emitted more carbon dioxide in a few minutes than an average car would in more than two centuries".

https://www.latimes.com/business/story/ ... 0centuries.

Cheers,
Hedge
This is spot on!

I live a few miles from Tesla HQ. Most people I know don't have a car period. Of the few that have one, many are not in a position to charge one at home. Heck, there are so many break ins that the main worry is how to keep the windows on one. The roads are usually terrible around here yet, yet the vast majority of the gas money I pay goes to fix them and to pay for public transport. I think it's fair to say that many people living in the San Francisco bay/Silicon Valley still consider owning one car a serious financial burden, let alone owning a second one to fit in an electric.

If we do any out of the city trips my V8 stick Cayenne is usually one of the mules. I've offroaded with a car full of people, towed the Atom with people in the car, slept in it at times. Some days I drive over 500 miles. If a car's capabilities were to be represented by a polygon, a Tesla to me is a dot in the center.

Till this day I have yet to receive a car ride in a Tesla from a friend. Though I know many Tesla owners, I must not fit into that lifestyle. Maybe they planned out their A to B to well or have no charge to allow for the occasional passenger. Speaking of charges, I give many for free to my Airbnb renters who juice up their cars and trip the fuses. I suppose in addition to all those charging stations we have to build we also have to install meters in our Airbnb garages now.