EVs don't suit everyone.

Entertainment and stuff that has nothing to do with the models themselves...
Anon

EVs don't suit everyone.

Post by Anon » Sat Oct 03, 2020 11:14 am

atomiser wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 8:36 am Yep. EV has never really worked out for me - the last time I looked in 2017 (i3 v Golf tdi), the car was £7.5k more s/h and an eye watering £1200 pa more on the insurance - I think 2 daughters, all that battery and carbon fibre played a part in that.

Once s/h wlc and towing are sorted over a reasonable distance I'm in.

As good and cheap to run as my 335d is with its 1.8t towing ability and surprising alternative to the atom in the wet on track, mainstream ICE is dying under the emissions laws.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk
Imagine buying an Ariel where you can only fill up at a certain petrol station - welcome to EV. The industry has kind of made a rod for it's own back and if it has any chance of success they need to solve this first. Standards need to be in place so if you buy any EV car you can use it on any network.

phil4

Re: Daily Driver

Post by phil4 » Sat Oct 03, 2020 12:43 pm

simonrhart wrote: Imagine buying an Ariel where you can only fill up at a certain petrol station - welcome to EV. The industry has kind of made a rod for it's own back and if it has any chance of success they need to solve this first. Standards need to be in place so if you buy any EV car you can use it on any network.
Only it’s not is it. It’s a car you can fill up at home, every day, for peanuts.

And should you venture far enough you need to fill up elsewhere, pretty much every charger uses the type 2 cable, which is standard across the EU, and supplied with every car.

The only wrinkle is paying, and even that has been mandated as contactless card payment for all new chargers.

Right. I’m not going to try and persuade anyone, you can mislead yourself if you want. Meanwhile I’ll keep taking all the tax breaks, save a bucket load of cash and drive a comfortable and ruddy fast car. The longer you stick to those views the longer I’ll get my tax breaks. So in other words, thank you.

And yes I’m fully aware an EV doesn’t work for everyone, for price, towing or other reason. My point is complete rubbish like the above shouldn’t be a reason, as it’s rubbish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anon

Post by Anon » Sat Oct 03, 2020 1:53 pm

Well it's not rubbish though is it Phil. Yes you can charge your Tesla at home - fine. For a car to have any use you need to charge it further afield, forget about all the other things a family need to do i.e. tow a trailer, caravan or to do a dump run etc for a second. The Tesla supercharger network only works with Tesla vehicles - so yes if you buy a Tesla you are ok - kind of, even though I can't think of one charging station near me. If I buy a i3, Leaf or something else what do I do? I have to find a charging station that supports my car. Tesla do not give a crap about those people. This is my point.

For this technology to scale and work, there needs to be a generic multi-purpose network globally across the country. Today there is not. I am hoping Tesla will open this up if they haven't done or planned to already - you know more about this than me I am sure.

Anyway, this is a Ariel forum - where I can drive my Atom all over the country and not have to worry about charging it! :roflp:

CAG3D

Post by CAG3D » Sat Oct 03, 2020 2:04 pm

I have an iPace. It’s great, having it charging at home, no problem. However, if I had to do a 100 miles journey both ways, I wouldn’t bother to use it.
A friend drove 90 miles in his, had planned to charge whilst visiting at a nearby Charger, when visiting the shops/seaside. Charger ‘out of order’.
So had to plan a stop on the return journey, first garage, only one available and was too, out of order. Carried onto the next, charger was being used, 20 minute wait, then started his charging, had to hang around for 45 minutes just to get enough juice to get home.
A 1 1/2 hr journey took 3 hours.
Having one fully electric car already in my house (wife’s iPace), is enough, so I cancelled the Porsche Taycan....... infrastructure isn’t even nearly there, to have as a proper car.
Tax breaks are good for the individual, but the cars are expensive to give to your sales team, plus they’d take twice as long when visiting clients.....

phil4

Daily Driver

Post by phil4 » Sat Oct 03, 2020 2:44 pm

CAG3D, I get your thinking... I'm sure in fairly short order the likes of Ionity will have many more chargers available, to save the brand damage for Jaguar and Porsche.

Anon, you're talking rubbish again:

- Why should Tesla allow other cars to use their chargers? They’re ones they paid and pay for. They're a business not a charity, and it's in their business interest to do as they have.

- Why on earth would you buy an i3 or Leaf to regularly do massive journeys... wrong choice. Just like an Atom isn't a comfortable long distance cruiser and using it as such is a compromise so would trying to do the same in an i3 or Leaf.

- Well done on the #1 EV mistake ICE owners make - you don't need a charge near you, you charge at home. You need one 100,150,200 miles away.

Yes, please go and enjoy your atom, just don't keep posting rubbish about things you seem not to know about.

CAG3D

Post by CAG3D » Sat Oct 03, 2020 2:51 pm

IMG_8030.jpg
IMG_8030.jpg (2.49 MiB) Viewed 1535 times
Fully charged..... hoover has run out of gas before getting half way through!! Looks like another long wait.....

phil4

Post by phil4 » Sat Oct 03, 2020 2:53 pm

CAG3D wrote:
IMG_8030.jpg
Fully charged..... hoover has run out of gas before getting half way through!! Looks like another long wait.....

Lol, I see that as a bonus. Unless it’s my cornflakes all over the floor :)

CAG3D

Post by CAG3D » Sat Oct 03, 2020 2:55 pm

I dropped one of the wife’s ‘best’ plates

Karl V

Post by Karl V » Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:10 pm

CAG3D wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 2:51 pm Fully charged..... hoover has run out of gas before getting half way through!! Looks like another long wait.....
Well that sucks. Or doesn't...

phil4

Daily Driver

Post by phil4 » Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:16 pm

Jerry

Post by Jerry » Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:20 pm

I really wanted to buy British (yes I know many components are shipped in from the world market). I know the I-Pace has a fantastic reputation and this would be my preferred choice, but as a personal purchase it's a bit pricey. Appreciate the feedback on the charging network by CAG3D, very useful info'.

Thinking the best choice is a F-Pace Hybrid.

Fully accept the Tesla range is the real choice, the 3 has the performance and of course the best charging network.

Hedge

Post by Hedge » Sat Oct 03, 2020 4:00 pm

Without wishing to wade in too deep here, the biggest caveat for EV's for me is having the ability to charge them from home.

There are literally thousands/ hundreds of thousands/ more? of people in the UK who can't do that. In London alone, there is so much on-road parking. I haven't lived anywhere in the past 15 years where I could charge at home, for instance. And if you can't do that, the lure of the EV really does diminish quite rapidly.

Which is why my daily has been an Audi A2 for the past 9 years. Cheap as chips to buy. 70+mpg. £30 a year to tax. Cheap running costs. And just never go wrong. Genius design, too. You can fit a huge amount in them.

And - like the Atom - light as a feather, thanks to the amount of aluminum used throughout #lessismore #smugmotoring

Cheers,
Hedge

phil4

Post by phil4 » Sat Oct 03, 2020 4:04 pm

Hedge, for sure doesn’t work for everyone... and there are plenty as you say who can’t charge at home.

No idea how the govt intend to fix that btw. They need to though.

Anon

Post by Anon » Sat Oct 03, 2020 4:22 pm

phil4 wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 2:44 pm
Yes, please go and enjoy your atom, just don't keep posting rubbish about things you seem not to know about.
Wow, you seem a little sensitive on this. In fact, I probably know a lot more about this technology than you do even though you were silly enough to go buy a Tesla, just please stop with the EV fanboy rubbish and tell people how it is. I was actually trying to be polite. I know quite a bit how the batteries are made, the supply chain process, how the motors are made and how the networks work or rather don't etc. etc. for reasons I won't explain.

Tesla has in fact offered to open up their supercharger network to other manufacturers but this hasn't worked out too well for them. It is great they are willing to do this because it will help jump start the whole EV business. EV tech is in incubation - to think otherwise you are just plain dumb or refusing to accept the the current state.

Preseh

Post by Preseh » Sat Oct 03, 2020 4:22 pm

Long journeys do require a bit of planning. I was down in South Cornwall last weekend from Bristol which was 200 miles each way. There's a Tesla supercharger just on the edge of Devon and Cornwall so I stopped there on the way and way back for around 30 minutes. If you're doing big miles each day though then forget it for now - the infrastructure isn't there yet IMO.

Interestingly, each new supercharger location installed now has to have one charger that any EV car can use thanks to an EU law: https://www.torquenews.com/11681/breaki ... ing-any-ev

Build quality is hit and miss - if you're used to German then you'll probably be disappointed but if you've ever had anything British (bar Ariel) then you'll be happy :roflp: