Daily Driver

Entertainment and stuff that has nothing to do with the models themselves...
Karl V

Re: Daily Driver

Post by Karl V » Thu Oct 01, 2020 10:15 pm

Agreed. I'm assuming the difference between S58 and B58 is Suck58 and Bang58.

Why can't we have both???

Jerry

Post by Jerry » Thu Oct 01, 2020 10:59 pm

Just sold my 3.5 year old 435D. Trying to avoid buying another German car, that's why I had no qualms about buying a Nomad, its British by definition.

Have a lease Octavia VRS, the costs peanuts £247 per month for the boss.

Ordered a GR Yaris Circuit Pack for me to keep. Like the idea of a fast small car.

Have this green thing with 14,000 miles total on it. Mustang engined, but more of a cruiser.

Wife wants another 4wd, we had a X5 M50D, thought about a X3 M Competition, but trying to buy British, had a Defender on order, but the toss up is between a F-Pace or X3. Lease X3M from Niche Leasing had a C63, the Octavia and Towrag from them is very cheap.

And if I could go back in time, I wish I still had the 6R4, sold for 42k and now worth something like 200k and the EVO.

So you can see, I have a disease, trying to cure it and keep cars, but I keep failing. Anyone want to buy a Nomad? :)

https://jerryflint.co.uk

Karl V

Post by Karl V » Thu Oct 01, 2020 11:10 pm

Love the BMW 35d engines. I had one in a 2004 535d and 2 x X3 35ds (2012 & 2016).

F-pace and an updated X3 were on my shortlist too, but ended up going petrol with a G20 M340i just before lockdown.

I only have space for 2 cars in the garage. Could be tempted by that Yaris though. I bet you'll enjoy that one :checkeredflag:

Karl V

Post by Karl V » Thu Oct 01, 2020 11:13 pm

Woah, wait. What? You had a GTR?

https://jerryflint.co.uk/vehicles/cars-past/nissan-gtr/

Tell me it was he best car ever...I need to hear it.

Jerry

Post by Jerry » Thu Oct 01, 2020 11:27 pm

GTR and the 6R4 were nuts. GTR effortless performance. Yes Karl would have another, but bought a Nomad....Mine was one of the first cars, but had to wait for them to produce the Nav version. Kept for only a year, just stopped flying and was concerned about money. Stupid

Wife actually tracked one at Silverstone as part of the lure to buy one.

I dare not list all cars owned - scares me - 3 EVOS all new. VI GSR. Elise, GP Mini and S - all new and there are a lot more.

Karl V

Post by Karl V » Thu Oct 01, 2020 11:40 pm

:pop:

fesuvious

Post by fesuvious » Fri Oct 02, 2020 6:15 am

Jerry wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 11:27 pm
I dare not list all cars owned - scares me -
Me too....

Current = Nomad, Lotus Carlton, VW T6, Audi S1
Then
Dodge Hellcat
F355
Lotus Evora 400
Abarth 500
VX220 turbo (and a non turbo 1 year earlier)
Ac Schnitzer BMW 760
Totally original Impreza 2000 turbo
Sunstream American RV
944 track car
205GTI track car
Evo 6
RX7 Bathhurst
GTM Libra
Westfield V8
Esprit S4S
Subaru Impreza WRX
928GTS
BMW E39 M5
E28 M5 X2
E28 M535I
Fiat X19
Mini x2
Bobtailed/Truck-cabbed offroader (Discovery)
Dakar bodied Discovery with all the trimmings (its a monster!)
Vauxhall VX220
Range P38 Autobiography
205 GTI 1.6
Volvo 360GLT < I miss this car.
Volvo 240
BMW 318
Rover 827SLI
Sierra 2.0GLSI
BMW 525e
BMW 535M
BMW 316 (1982model)
BMW 316 (1985model)
BMW 328 (1996/7)
BMW 840CSI
BMW 735SE
Lotus Esprit GT3
RX7 3rd Gen
Jaguar XJ12 (X2)
Jaguar X-Type 2.5
XJR Supercharged
Porsche 944 (220bhp version - to 288BHP)
944, 250 BHP version, > 304 BHP
Porsche 996
Smart 1st gen
Smart 2nd Gen
Ford Granada 2.8 (1983)
XR2
MR2 turbo
2x Range Rover 3.9's
2x Land Rover Discovery's
two off road prepped Discoverys
Chevy Astro day van (i've had 2 of these)
Land Rover based Dakar (yes, different to ones above)
Does a 37ft American motorhome qualify for this list? (separate to the sunstream above)

Karl V

Post by Karl V » Fri Oct 02, 2020 6:23 am

fesuvious wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 6:15 amFiat X19
19 Fiats. That's proper petrol head!

;D

robfitz

Post by robfitz » Fri Oct 02, 2020 6:47 am

Bloody hell, I clearly need to try a bit harder.....

The Yaris GR looks a great bit of kit, I like the look of that a lot.

We have been thinking that post COVID we aren’t going to go back to commuting as much as we did previously and If we are going to WFH more can probably go to one daily between us. Front runner is F31 340i Touring if buying outright, guess it depends how cheap the deals are on new stuff next year as they don’t seem as compelling now as they did last year.
GR Yaris CP for when it rains, Atom 4 for when it doesn’t.

phil4

Post by phil4 » Fri Oct 02, 2020 6:56 am

Karl V wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 8:47 pm @phil4 - you started this thread. Wanna update us???
Like [mention]Fastlane[/mention] and [mention]Preseh[/mention] I've gone for a Tesla Model 3 Performance this time around... a blue one. As they say, it's rapid and has an immediate throttle response, but completely unassuming outside and if you want it's a relaxed mile muncher. That and costs buttons to run. No, not even servicing.

Fastlane

Post by Fastlane » Fri Oct 02, 2020 9:29 am

phil4 wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 6:56 am
Karl V wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 8:47 pm @phil4 - you started this thread. Wanna update us???
Like @Fastlane and @Preseh I've gone for a Tesla Model 3 Performance this time around... a blue one. As they say, it's rapid and has an immediate throttle response, but completely unassuming outside and if you want it's a relaxed mile muncher. That and costs buttons to run. No, not even servicing.
Razbox on here has also got one (although he is selling his Atom), so that's 4 of us Ariel owners. They are very good aren't they - not perfect by any means, but very relaxing to drive with an amazing turn of speed when you need it. I have just got my wife a Hyundai Kona 64kwh EV which we are very impressed with too. It is even more efficient than the Tesla and yet will still do 0-60 in under 7 seconds. We do 24k miles a year between us and, as you say, the running costs are just silly cheap.

Like a lot of other petrolheads who now drive EVs, I doubt we'll ever get another ICE powered daily again...but don't worry, I'm keeping the Atom! :vroom:
2008 Supercharged Atom 3, Tesla Model 3 Long Range

robfitz

Post by robfitz » Fri Oct 02, 2020 9:57 am

I can see why so many have the Model 3 - I test drove one in Jan and had ordered one as a company car pre Covid but my employer pulled the plug on all new orders. Given I’ve done bugger all mileage in my m135i since March I am not unhappy about that, can absolutely see the appeal though. Up to the end of last year we were doing 35-40k a year between us but I can see that drastically reducing going forward which changes the sums somewhat.

Getting the Atom also pushes me away from the EV daily as I want something I can tow a trailer with to get a load of track days in. Having driven an Elise or VX to Bilsterberg or Spa I think I’m getting to the age where I want comfort on the trip there and back.

Maybe the answer is a Tesla and a ramp truck!

Anon

EVs don't suit everyone.

Post by Anon » Fri Oct 02, 2020 10:21 am

Same for me need to tow the Atom longer distances like Spa or up north. I don't mind driving it to Bedford, Snetterton, Mallory Park etc but Spa and places like this is a bit far.

Never really seen what all the fuss is about with the Tesla tbh I live and breathe petrol, yum..old skool.

phil4

Post by phil4 » Fri Oct 02, 2020 10:23 am

I'm not wanting to turn this into a tesla fan club... there's plenty of other forums for that.

But yes, [mention]Fastlane[/mention] Even if you ignore the comfort of driving, to get a family 5 seater with 527bhp, that can do 0-60 more like a supercar... yet costs buttons to run and not that much to buy is unfathomable in my head.

It's a bit like buying an Atom that can run on track with a Ferrari... yes there are other cars that will do it, but they're usually a lot lot more expensive. Similar thing with this, including running costs.
simonrhart wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 10:21 am Never really seen what all the fuss is about with the Tesla tbh I live and breathe petrol, yum..old skool.
Maybe you need to look at the API the car has, and start looking at the stats you can get out, that and the control you have. Automate the cabin temp so it's warm when you leave for example.

robfitz

Post by robfitz » Fri Oct 02, 2020 11:10 am

I’d say just test drive one. I really like the F10/F30 generation BMW but it made my car just seem really old. The supercharger network makes it viable too which is why no other EV really works for me.

It just doesn’t function as a single do everything daily if you want to tow, but that is pretty niche I guess.