Today I visited a donkey sanctuary

Entertainment and stuff that has nothing to do with the models themselves...
Karl V

Today I visited a donkey sanctuary

Post by Karl V » Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:10 pm

So today was the big day!

I had to use the 'Triple Supercar Drive' voucher that the in-laws got me for Crimbo last year, and today at Dunsfold Park was the day.

When I booked it back in May, I opted for the Lambo Gallardo, Ferrari F430 and Aston Vantage. The voucher also included a hot lap passenger ride in a Focus RS. I ignored the VERY HEAVY upsell of experiencing an Ariel Atom for only an extra £45. That said, I also ignored the other upsells such as: insurance waiver (£35), photo memorabilia (£25), face masks / rubber gloves in case you forgot your own (£5) and upgrading my hot lap from a Focus to a Supercar (£15).

I'm also not a track person. There was no sideways action to be seen and nobody ventured off the tarmac to rip up the grass - each to their own I guess - but you get the idea: Scrooge McDuck was attending a Supercar experience day courtesy of the In-laws.

We all waited in line as marshals called out our names and we posed next to our car of choice for the obligatory photo (for insurance purposes I was told!) before setting off.

First up: the Fezza. It was a bit of a let down, but I'm gonna rack this up to it being my first ever outing of the track and therefore being very conscious of which cones not to hit and the fact that all the mirrors were angled so that my experienced tutor could see what was happening behind me, rather than myself. At one point I was instructed to pull over and let a Focus RS go by - rude!

Second up: The Aston. Very dated. Lazy V8 engine and changing gear over 4k RPM was met with a thud that would have had me calling Henry / Rookie at the factory first thing in the morning.

Third helping: Hot lap in the Focus RS. Yeah, I can see how man mated with machine expects Fezzas to get out of their way. I'm not a good passenger BTW.

Lastly: The Lambo. The one I would go for if I didn't need 4 seats. Of course, by now I knew the track and how it all worked, so confidence was building. The fact that my experienced tutor introduced the car as 'the fastest accelerating car you will ever drive in your life' didn't inspire to hold back.

Anyway... I came away thinking how shite all the cars were. Not in a 'I own an Ariel and you are all dreamers' kinda way, but more in a 'how on earth are these cars still running' kinda way.

Seriously, these cars were ragged to within an inch of their lives - as you would probably expect. I left Dunsfold thinking I wouldn't spend my money on any of these cars, which I am sure is not what the manufacturers aimed for when building them.

In other news, there was 1 x Radical being piloted by some race champion or other offering hot laps (race slick tyres, many wheels spins in the pit lane, much showing off of how to attach a 5 point harness etc.) but most people seemed to be in the queue for a hot lap in one of the 2 Atoms - kudos Ariel!

I know Atoms. I know what a well looked after Atom looks, sounds and smells like. I know that what I saw today were 2 very tired looking Atoms with puffs of black smoke and gearbox crunching noises despite their experienced pilots.

And this brings me to my point... I'm assuming by the dash warning lights taking centre stage in the Fezza, Aston, Lambo and Focus (I kid you not!), as well as the various mechanical clunks, grinds and grates that I witnessed, today taught me what Supercars look like when not looked after properly.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the experience, but as a potential owner of one of the 3 cars I opted for back in May, I'd stick with my Beemer thank you very much and keep my cash earning almost negative interest in the bank.

Shame really, but an experience nonetheless...

image.png
image.png (1.38 MiB) Viewed 1430 times
If you have been affected by this story, our Save A Donkey donation hotline is open. Simply send £1,000,000 to Karl V courtesy of Ariel.Club and we'll send a sniper to Dunsfold to 'save' one of their cars.

Anon

Re: Today I visited a donkey sanctuary

Post by Anon » Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:05 pm

I remember the voucher you mentioned at Christmas. I knew these were a little bit like what you suggested from other peoples feedback, not having been on them myself though so hard to say for sure. Given I will be going to Mallory Park in a couple weeks, I searched the web for flying laps and the lines needed. What I found was many experience days at that track with a driver and an instructor. I think if I were on those with those instructors, I would punch them out! or certainly want my cash back. for me it would be a sucky experience.

Regarding the black puffs of smoke on the Atoms, well I have that on mine! and it's a well cared for car. This is just an indication that the car is running rich. Ariel will take a look when back at factory soon. It's the white/blue smoke you do not want or clutch burn.

Funnily though, these experience days you have an old Lambo - Gallardo, old Ferrari - 430 and you didn't say what Vantage you were in but I suspect an old one. Great news people loved the Atom. People generally do over other cars, the Radical in my mind is equally as impressive. what Radical was it?

Karl V

Post by Karl V » Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:12 pm

The Radical was a yellow one - does that help? It had gaffer tape holding the front splitter together and a set of slicks that should have been condemned a dozen laps ago.

Yes, the cars were old, but more importantly, they were old before their time.

Such a shame that the unwitting In-laws spent good money on treating their (favourite) son-in-law to an experience day in a bunch of cars that really could have done with a regular service.

Still, memories were made...

Anon

Post by Anon » Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:28 pm

It's funny that the gaffer tape on the Radicals, this is very common to see. It's normally because the fibreglass gelcoat body just doesn't hold up. If you look at most Radicals, even new ones you will see spider cracks all over it. The aero screens are cracked from the screw holes etc. The front splitter though is very very strong, I can jump up and down on it and it won't brake.

They are completely different to an Ariel, where we expect a pristine, perfect looking car. The build quality on an Ariel is 10x what a Radical is, but a Radical is a racing car and people don't really care about these things like gaffer tape or spider cracks, PPF, etc. It's the same as a McLaren, the build quality of those cars is shocking beyond belief. When you look at the cost difference, Ariel is a bargain in every respect. It's when people come up close - they soon realize it is not a kit car.

Karl V

Post by Karl V » Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:39 pm

Point being... anyone thinking of buying an ex-experience day car needs to have swallowed a brave pill.

The fact that there were no McLarens available tells you something about upkeep requirements does it not?

I've not owned a donkey, but can see why daytime TV makes such a big deal about wanting me to adopt one. Along with buying a freshly minted 1/4 Crown coin and selling equity in my house so I can eat lunch with a grey haired old lady with false teeth.

An eye opener for sure...

Anon

Post by Anon » Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:53 pm

Indeed. I suspect they are bought and just run into the ground. Sad to see.

Come on Karl it's Bimmer, not beemer or beamer. :roflp:

Karl V

Post by Karl V » Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:09 pm

image.png
image.png (14.26 KiB) Viewed 1402 times

I need to get some sleep. Not every day you get to drive 3 'dream cars' and walk away hating them all :(

In any case, I have a donkey arriving on Wednesday. I need to find somewhere to house it before I rent it out for school nativity plays...

Karl V

Post by Karl V » Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:13 pm

Now I really need to get some sleep. I suspect anyone reading this is already nodding off...

https://www.bmw.com/en/automotive-life/ ... rigin.html

phil4

Post by phil4 » Sat Sep 26, 2020 3:07 pm

I did a similar-ish "super car experience" day at Rockingham... it was the gateway to my first Atom purchase.

I'd been bought to experiences, one an Atom, and the other a Nissan GTR... neither >£100K "supercards", but both allegedly massively fast. I'd gone into the day having thought about, looked at and tempted to buy a Nissan GTR. So on the day the Atom was first. I was told to leave it in 5th, because I'd not be able to change quickly enough... that said, once out on track it did seem quite a lot quicker than the other cars circulating, and thus made me looking into buying one for real... the one I did buy was a heck of a lot better.

Then the Nissan GTR, which did its own gearchanges, and just seemed like a barge and not particularly fast at all, and I'm really not kidding when I say that... it just seemed about as quick a Ford Mondeo.

So I left thinking, no chance I'll ever bother with a Nissan GTR.... where do I sign for an Atom.

Anon

Post by Anon » Sat Sep 26, 2020 7:22 pm

When you say leave it in 5th, you don't mean 5th gear everywhere? Do you mean they wouldn't allow you to select 6th on the straights perhaps?

You are right though Phil, after driving an Atom everything feels slow and "wallowee", and quite frankly, a bit boring. I have followed Nissan GTR's before and they are quick on the straights, but in the corners they slow right down.

phil4

Post by phil4 » Sat Sep 26, 2020 8:03 pm

Yep, I really do mean 5th gear and yes everywhere. The rockingham track they were using didn’t have anything long enough to redline in 5th.

Im sure the GTR is in reality plenty quick, I think as you say it’s the reality distortion of an atom coupled with a very tired GTR.