Driving to France? Check if you need a sticker to avoid a £60 fine

Entertainment and stuff that has nothing to do with the models themselves...
GraemeW

Re: Driving to France? Check if you need a sticker to avoid a £60 fine

Post by GraemeW » Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:47 am

Has anyone out there got any emissions quoted on their V5 document ?

If there was anyone with the same as mine I could then apply on that basis. Supercharged K24

GraemeW

Post by GraemeW » Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:59 am

What was interesting when we did the London Dawn Raid this year, Londons low emission zone database said there was no requirement for an Ariel Atom. Probably because it was unclassified?

If there's anyone out there thinking this is a boring conversation, think again. As more and more countries and cities introduce these emissions compliance requirements, I think it would be a good idea for us to have some sort of idea what each permutation of Ariel car/engine is, because we potentially going to be excluded from certain areas in the future, which will be unfortunate.

Is this something the Club or Ariel can advise on?

autobackup

Post by autobackup » Tue Jul 30, 2019 12:01 pm

Graeme

Basically I would refer to the table below which lists Euro CAP categories by year of implementation and then simply use the one within which your engine was built!

So from the table below my 2011 Atom should be Euro CAP 5!
Attachments
2019-07-30 14_57_46-Euro 1 to Euro 6 – find out your vehicle's emissions standard _ RAC Drive.jpg
2019-07-30 14_57_46-Euro 1 to Euro 6 – find out your vehicle's emissions standard _ RAC Drive.jpg (129.27 KiB) Viewed 1682 times
Atom 3.5R (Cyprus)
Honda CRV 2.2 Ex Auto i-DTEC (Cyprus)
Suzuki Celerio 1.0 SZ4 (Cyprus)
Honda CRV Ex I-MMD eCVT Hybrid (UK)

GraemeW

Post by GraemeW » Tue Jul 30, 2019 12:10 pm

Good idea Paul, but just because it was built in a certain year, doesn't mean it complies with the EURO standard. As far as I know none of the Ariel vehicles until the Atom 4 came out comply.

So we could do as you suggest, but in the unlikely event we were tested, and seen to be way out, which we will be, I suspect the fine would be even bigger?

Curves Junkie

Post by Curves Junkie » Tue Jul 30, 2019 12:13 pm

GraemeW wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:38 am Well I have failed to find out what emissions my car has. Even Ariel can’t tell me.
Then you have no emissions class if there a no classification at your V5.

Don't use the emission class from another car - this is a counterfeiting and you get a high penalty.
Tell me your "date of first registration" at your Atom V5, please.

GraemeW wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:38 am I’m not sure what zone we passing through but suspect it’s ZPA as ZCRs probably apply to cities where the system is in place, which we are not visiting.
ZCR are zones they are valid 24/7.
ZPA are weather depend zones - here you dont know when the gov tells today or next week.
Here you can see the zones:
https://www.crit-air.fr/en/information- ... zones.html

GraemeW

Post by GraemeW » Tue Jul 30, 2019 12:14 pm

or do we continue to argue we are special (which we are of course :) ), and that this is minority small volume manufacturer etc?

GraemeW

Post by GraemeW » Tue Jul 30, 2019 12:16 pm

Curves Junkie wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 12:13 pm
Tell me your "date of first registration" at your Atom V5, please.
01/11/16

autobackup

Post by autobackup » Tue Jul 30, 2019 12:26 pm

Graeme

I would seriously doubt that there would be a problem with 'les flics' as there are really far too few Atoms/Nomads on the roads of France to worry about!

If you carry in your car a copy of your registration document AND a copy of the Euro CAP table I posted I think that most authorities would accept that you have done your very best to obtain the correct sticker for your engine's year Euro category.

Provided that you have a valid sticker visibly displayed I really don't think (as I said given the numbers of Ariel cars involved) that any deeper investigation would be likely to occur!

Just having a valid sticker displayed is usually good enough - but NOT having one displayed would inevitably invite much closer closer scrutiny!!

I personally would pay (the minimal) fee for an Euro 5 sticker and prominently display it!

Also the website on Curves_Junkie post is NOT the official French government website - it is a commercial (i.e. extra cost) broker site!

This is the correct government website : https://www.certificat-air.gouv.fr/en/demande-ext/cgu
Last edited by autobackup on Tue Jul 30, 2019 12:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Atom 3.5R (Cyprus)

phil4

Post by phil4 » Tue Jul 30, 2019 12:36 pm

What Paul says makes perfect sense to me.

If you have a ticket, someone has to decide they want to dig further, and you have some justification for what/why you chose what you did. And keep in mind if you couldn't find out, I doubt they will. Instead they'll draw a blank. And then either kick you out of the country, or accept you did something and paid up.

If you don't have a ticket... well then you're far more open to scrutiny, and they can easily say you should have bought X/Y or Z.

Curves Junkie

Post by Curves Junkie » Tue Jul 30, 2019 12:56 pm

Sorry guys, thats not a good idea.

All sticker have the same price.

The only correct website is here https://www.certificat-air.gouv.fr/en/
Start a simulation https://www.certificat-air.gouv.fr/en/simulationand you see your AA from 2016 get sticker no. 1 :tu:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CPuv9ZNjU8

Reg-form:
https://www.certificat-air.gouv.fr/en/demande-ext/cgu
At the second side at "[Champ V.9**]" fill "No indication ..." AND you must upload your V5 form.
That's it.

GraemeW

Post by GraemeW » Tue Jul 30, 2019 1:22 pm

Maybe just simpler this time to route around the zone. It’s not a big detour

autobackup

Post by autobackup » Tue Jul 30, 2019 1:25 pm

Curves

The simulation website requires that you both know and enter the Euro number of your engine - the ONLY way to get an Euro CAP number for an Ariel vehicle is derived from the year of the car's manufacture plus reference to the RAC Euro CAP table I posted previously.

As I said before the price of the sticker (from the official French government website) is absolute peanuts so simply buy one using the data provided by the year of your particular car's manufacture and the RAC Euro CAP table!

If you display a 'suitable sticker' (No. 1?) in good faith you should have no problems!

- however please note that it can take up to 6 weeks to obtain a sticker - so ensure that you apply in good time!
Atom 3.5R (Cyprus)

GraemeW

Post by GraemeW » Tue Jul 30, 2019 1:26 pm

Actually Phil Paul and CurvesJunkie you all saying the same thing. The French website seems to admit date of entry into service in the absence of anything else. So may just go for that

Curves Junkie

Post by Curves Junkie » Tue Jul 30, 2019 1:29 pm

GraemeW wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 1:22 pm Maybe just simpler this time to route around the zone. It’s not a big detour
The registration is simple and easy or not?
What kind of zone you talking about?
autobackup wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 1:25 pm The simulation website requires that you both know and enter the Euro number of your engine - the ONLY way to get an Euro CAP number for an Ariel vehicle is derived from the year of the car's manufacture plus reference to the RAC Euro CAP table I posted previously.
Hm, you do it wrong.
cert-air.PNG
cert-air.PNG (101.48 KiB) Viewed 1659 times

autobackup

Post by autobackup » Tue Jul 30, 2019 1:32 pm

Graeme

From the Crit'Air website :

"........You can order your sticker from the official Crit'Air Website. To do this you will need your registration certificate available as a .pdf, .png or .jpeg format and it must not exceed 400kB.

The cost is €3.11 + postage. Please apply early for your Crit'Air sticker - there are reports of stickers taking up to 6 weeks to arrive.........."
Last edited by autobackup on Tue Jul 30, 2019 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Atom 3.5R (Cyprus)