The Grand Tour

Entertainment and stuff that has nothing to do with the models themselves...
ross

Re: The Grand Tour

Post by ross » Mon Dec 12, 2016 3:58 pm

Enjoyed the first episode, but rapidly going off it now.  Kids enjoy it but some of the comments and language aren't really ideal for a younger audience.

My kids call them 'the 3 idiots' which is about right.  James May is wasted on this stuff - luckily he's back on again soon as 'The Reassembler' which is much more my kind of TV.

MonsieurX

Post by MonsieurX » Tue Dec 13, 2016 7:34 pm

I rolled on the floor so hard!

It's been months i grunt against all german cars (and most modern car manufacturers for the shitty mechanics we have to deal with today)

And now i want an M2...

phil4

Post by phil4 » Tue Dec 13, 2016 8:22 pm

[quote="MonsieurX"]
And now i want an M2...
[/quote]

I'd be torn between that and a Z4 hardtop.  But I doubt I'll ever get another BMW.

Rocket Man

Post by Rocket Man » Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:16 pm

i just got a Z4, they stoped making them in August. there is some crackin buyes about as they try to get shut of stock before the new expensive replacement comes out. I picked up a 2L M Sport with a few bits on with a list of nealy 38K for under 25K pre registered (June 2016) with just 23 miles on the clock
very pleased with as my daily drive. i would highly recomend one while stocks last. bargain

autobackup

Post by autobackup » Thu Dec 22, 2016 1:19 pm

Just watched the 5th episode of Clarkson's Grand Tour and, my opinion, it is truly terrible - full of desperation and cliches!
Atom 3.5R (Cyprus)
Honda CRV 2.2 Ex Auto i-DTEC (Cyprus)
Suzuki Celerio 1.0 SZ4 (Cyprus)
Honda CRV Ex I-MMD eCVT Hybrid (UK)

jpswift

Post by jpswift » Thu Dec 22, 2016 1:27 pm

i saw the one with the eco cars recently ( mud/ meat/ hedge)

and thought was piss poor

they should stick to the car reviews which are good

their "escapades" are, with the occasional highlight,  dire
ATOM 4
DEFENDER 90
CROSSTURISMO 4S
911  991.2
R1250GS

meladdo

Post by meladdo » Thu Dec 22, 2016 10:19 pm

[quote="Ross McWilliam"]
Enjoyed the first episode, but rapidly going off it now.  Kids enjoy it but some of the comments and language aren't really ideal for a younger audience.

My kids call them 'the 3 idiots' which is about right.  James May is wasted on this stuff - luckily he's back on again soon as 'The Reassembler' which is much more my kind of TV.
[/quote]

:tu:

The original BBC TG was fine for my 9 / now 10 year old but not this Grand Tour offering. End of an era!

Lets see what the BBC make of the next lot of TG?

Bruce Fielding

Post by Bruce Fielding » Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:21 pm

I stopped watching this after episode 3. Was it actually worth watching or just another go at the same tired formula? I'd value opinions before allocating time that could be better spent...
Ariel Atom Owners Club founder, based in Central London

Andrew300

Post by Andrew300 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:50 pm

https://www.facebook.com/topgear/videos/10158353457300571/

Then this was on facebook this evening
Ariel Nomad,Toyota GT86 and a T5 work horse ,oh and a 4x4 for winter

ross

Post by ross » Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:47 am

The kids enjoy it (despite it not really being suitable for them), but it all just feels too staged and scripted to really keep my interest.

911tom

Post by 911tom » Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:47 am

I have still got the last one to watch. I enjoyed 55% of it... It is all highly staged and the silly stuff is just so unbelievable. But I did enjoy watching some of the silly stuff too. The celebrity bit is just annoying! My two younger brothers and I have made a bit of an event of it and been meeting up to watch it at my house with a few beers and a takeaway. I think this has improved the experienced for me which is probably influencing my review. If I just sat in a dark room on my own watching it there are points where I probably would have turned it off!
Ariel Atom 4 350hp
Porsche 996 turbo for straight line speed
350BHP Astra van
Porsche cayenne to transport the family

phil4

Post by phil4 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 4:49 pm

I'm with what others have said.  A lot of it feels too scripted and staged.  The celebrity non-interviews are just downright irritating.

Would I miss it if they stopped making it right now?  No.  Would I watch it if they do another series, probably.

The best one, for me anyway, was the dessert one, just because while it was silly, and staged, some of it genuinely seemed natural (like hammond's offer of beer), and therefore amusing with it.

ross

Post by ross » Thu Feb 16, 2017 5:10 pm

[quote="phil4"]
The best one, for me anyway, was the dessert one, just because while it was silly, and staged, some of it genuinely seemed natural (like hammond's offer of beer), and therefore amusing with it.
[/quote]

Agreed, the Christmas specials always seem to be a cut above the other episodes - less staged somehow.  That pair are possibly worth a watch.

reg

Post by reg » Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:00 am

There are parts of it that make me want to kick the TV. Parts that I think are a bit twee and other parts which I think, hmm this isn't bad.

Overall it's decent enough to watch for me. But, I just FFWD things that annoy me rather than dwell too much on it. It is exactly as I expected really, does anyone think that Amazon would deliver a wildly different formula to the money making steam roller that went before?
'he was reet fast'

Flying Phil

Post by Flying Phil » Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:38 pm

Sooooo...season two. I found it better than season one...so far