What was the helmet?

Entertainment and stuff that has nothing to do with the models themselves...
autobackup

What was the helmet?

Post by autobackup » Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:20 am

I am still not too impressed by the new series of Top Gear however I did notice something of interest on last Sundays show (train vs cars & motorcycle 'race' to Venice)

Does anyone recognise the helmet (i.e. identify the manufacturer and model) that Matt Le Blanc was wearing when riding his Goldwing as it looked extremely interesting?

My first thought was that it might be a Davida (http://web.horde.org/davida.co.uk/) but unfortunately can't pin it down on their website!  :doh:
Atom 3.5R (Cyprus)
Honda CRV 2.2 Ex Auto i-DTEC (Cyprus)
Suzuki Celerio 1.0 SZ4 (Cyprus)
Honda CRV Ex I-MMD eCVT Hybrid (UK)

smokin

Re: What was the helmet?

Post by smokin » Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:37 am

Atom 2 300, Ginetta G40 GT5 - UK

autobackup

Post by autobackup » Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:27 am

Thanks Smokin I think that you are probably right!  :tu:

Next question : has anyone tried one of these open face full visored helmets when driving an Atom?
Atom 3.5R (Cyprus)

Oli1122

Post by Oli1122 » Wed Jun 22, 2016 12:21 pm

[quote="autobackup"]
Next question : has anyone tried one of these open face full visored helmets when driving an Atom?
[/quote]

Last year a I had passenger on the Nürburgring with such an helmet (not the same). He suffered from severe helm lift on the fast sections as Fuchsröhre, Schwedenkreuz, Pflanzgarten, etc..  ;D
For driving within street legal speeds might be ok but if you are pushing than that could be problem.

autobackup

Post by autobackup » Wed Jun 22, 2016 1:16 pm

Last year a I had passenger on the Nürburgring with such an helmet (not the same). He suffered from severe helm lift on the fast sections as Fuchsröhre, Schwedenkreuz, Pflanzgarten, etc..  ;D
For driving within street legal speeds might be ok but if you are pushing than that could be problem
This helmet looks as if it might be a suitable compromise - particularly for summer use - as the visor extends down to cover the chin/throat area so I suspect that 'helmet lift' at speed might not be too much of an issue and it also makes fitting comms simpler.

The reviews I have manage to find online seem generally positive - such as the ones below :

Sportsbikeshop : "The visor goes down just below the chin so no more insect hits in that area! plenty of ventilation and comfortable a top product from Arai."

Morebikes.co.uk : "The X-tend is something of a halfway house between the SZ and a full face helmet. I have to admit that the extended check pads give a slightly greater feeling of security and completely eliminate lift at speeds well above what would be the norm in a cruiser/commuter helmet. As with all Arai helmets, the finish is brilliant and as I am a perfect, out of the box, medium size the comfort is superb from day one."
Atom 3.5R (Cyprus)

Steve Gibson
Administrator

Post by Steve Gibson » Wed Jun 22, 2016 11:06 pm

[quote="autobackup"]
[/quote]

I use a Nolan N44 with the chinguard removed and the full visor up or down. Very light and airy. Really like it in the spring/summer.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2016-06-23 at 00.05.15.png
Screen Shot 2016-06-23 at 00.05.15.png (35.73 KiB) Viewed 1559 times
First Atomised 2001.
Atom (165) > Atom 2 (220) > Atom 3 (300) > Atom 3.5 (310) > Atom 4 (350).
There is no cure.