Ebay Trailer Fraud

Entertainment and stuff that has nothing to do with the models themselves...
wasp

Ebay Trailer Fraud

Post by wasp » Mon Mar 07, 2016 8:35 am

Now it won't come as much of a shock to most of you that there are bad people on Ebay but this weekend I heard of a really believable fraud.

I sold my trailer to a guy who had been duped the previous week. He'd seen a trailer on auction and had contacted the seller to make an offer. The seller agreed to his offer, having both replied to him through Ebay and then they had had a couple of phone conversations to agree details and get the pick up address. All normal so far, we've all been here.

It then gets sticky when the buyer agrees to save time by paying by bank transfer. It all went tits-up at this point obviously as when he went to collect the trailer, the people at the address he was given knew nothing about it, but said that he was not the first person who had been there this week.

The poor bloke lost nearly £3k and whilst bank transfers are obviously an accident waiting to happen, most of us at some point will have done them if you've spoken to the vendor and been happy.

Last night, I was offered a Brian James RS3 by someone I'd contacted on Ebay, telling me that the initial buyer was a muppet. I was interested until he told me he'd do it for £4,800 for a top model 2015 version. I reported him and Ebay confirmed that this account had been hacked (as had the previous one) and then I found what I believe to be another one:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BRIAN-JAMES-RT4-0040-car-trailer-transporter-/141922395264?_trksid=p2141725.m3641.l6368

This trailer should be £9.3k + VAT and it's being sold with no reserve on a 3 day auction....I don't think so :td: :td:

As lots of people are looking for trailers at this time of year, all I'm saying is be careful, I think it's a targeted area at the mo.

Cheers,
Stu
Atom 4, Gr Yaris

smokin

Re: Ebay Trailer Fraud

Post by smokin » Mon Mar 07, 2016 8:43 am

Thanks for the heads-up Stu
Atom 2 300, Ginetta G40 GT5 - UK

GraemeW

Post by GraemeW » Mon Mar 07, 2016 8:53 am

Stu, something similar happened a few years ago to me.  I wasnt the victim, part my car was involved.

Police turned up one weekend and asked me if the car in the drive was mine???  After proving it was they told me what had happened.  Somebody had seen my car somewhere and made a copy plate and put it on another car of the same colour etc,  then advertised it on eBay for a big discount.  A retired couple who liked it, made an offer, but to be certain they did an HPI check on the plate.  All clean etc, so it looked legit.  They contact seller, who says he's emigrated to Spain but the car is in the UK at an address in London and says he will arrange for them to collect it.  They transfer the cash in full to a Spanish bank account, as its legit isn't it? Then go to the address to pick up he car.  The address doesn't exist and nor does the car.  They loose all the money.  UK police can't do anything, and Spanish police not interested. 

Few days later I spot similar looking adds in eBay.  I phone the police and give the details.  Not sure if they followed it up.  Some bastards are making a fortune out of innocent, but naive, buyers.

Be careful out there.

GraemeW

Post by GraemeW » Mon Mar 07, 2016 9:13 am

Speaking of trailers Stu, what size do you need for an Atom?  I might buy one

wasp

Post by wasp » Mon Mar 07, 2016 12:13 pm

[quote="Digger"]
Speaking of trailers Stu, what size do you need for an Atom?  I might buy one
[/quote]

Hi Digger,

Brian James and PRG are the two makes I favour and they both do a number of suitable designs. basically you just want it to be one of their lower designs, with ramps ideally 2.0m or longer.

I'd go for a 4m long x 1.95m wide minimum, ideally though 2.0m wide gives you a bit of space to put it on the trailer at the end of the day without possibly taking a chunk out of your wheels (especially if you have Dymags :'()

Anything more than that is just a luxury, although if you're going for a tyre rack, you may want to go 4.5m long.

I had an enclosed trailer (tarpaulin style rather than the hard shell) and just found that there was a lot of buffeting, especially on windy days.
I'll be going open or clam style from here.

Cheers,
Stu
Atom 4, Gr Yaris

GraemeW

Post by GraemeW » Mon Mar 07, 2016 2:05 pm

:tu:

Richard Marler
Administrator

Post by Richard Marler » Tue Mar 15, 2016 5:55 pm

I have a Brian James A Max 120-2100 trailer with centre deck and high level tyre rack, which I used for Atom Cup. For the right price, I would sell it.
Atom 3 300. Surrey, England.

Bruce Fielding

Post by Bruce Fielding » Tue Mar 15, 2016 9:21 pm

Another tip...

Because the Atom is quite wide, go for a trailer with inboard wheels.

Beaver tail (fnar fnar_) trailers are best.
Ariel Atom Owners Club founder, based in Central London

wattie

Post by wattie » Tue Mar 15, 2016 9:42 pm

Public service announcement.
To sum up the last 2 posts.
Go for a high rack
With a nice beaver  :tu:
Cheers Wattie

Alex Brandon-Smith

Post by Alex Brandon-Smith » Wed Mar 16, 2016 11:42 am

[quote="wattie"]
Public service announcement.
To sum up the last 2 posts.
Go for a high rack
With a nice beaver  :tu:
Cheers Wattie
[/quote]

With no top on or a nice clam!
310=325! That'll be the Presidential Remap kicking in... :vroom:

B19TOY

Post by B19TOY » Wed Jul 06, 2016 7:25 am

If anyone is interested in an inexpensive new open trailer, customised for the width of an ATOM, give these folks a call.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/381685294421?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2661&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

sales@hedley-towbars.co.uk
0191 3863972

Hedley trailers in Durham can make the trailer with a bed width of 2 metres, and the tilt bed easily allows access for an ATOM.  I specified mine with a winch, so it is a simple one man job to load and unload the car.

A new trailer that tows beautifully, all for under £2000.

Alex Brandon-Smith

Post by Alex Brandon-Smith » Wed Jul 06, 2016 7:34 am

[quote="B19TOY"]
If anyone is interested in an inexpensive new open trailer, customised for the width of an ATOM, give these folks a call.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/381685294421?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2661&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

sales@hedley-towbars.co.uk
0191 3863972

Hedley trailers in Durham can make the trailer with a bed width of 2 metres, and the tilt bed easily allows access for an ATOM.  I specified mine with a winch, so it is a simple one man job to load and unload the car.

A new trailer that tows beautifully, all for under £2000.

[/quote]

Was that 2k including the winch? Will be interested to see how it stands up to a bit of abuse. Could be interesting to get a wheel rack added (given us Atom owners always want more options!) ;D

Peter255

Post by Peter255 » Wed Jul 06, 2016 7:40 am

I have to say having a simple lightweight single axel trailer for the Atom seems sensible bearing in mind the low weight of the car. It always seems a waste to me when people haul large trailers that can carry ~2 tonnes for a car weighing less than 600Kg. Fair play if you want to use it for other cars though obviously, or its all you can hire etc.

I've just had a crazy idea. I wonder if you could put a small trailer like the above (not much wider or longer than the Atom) in a standard sized garage with the car loaded?

That would:
Save space for storage
Save loading in the morning of some event
Keep car and trailer dry
Provide improved access to the underside of the car.

Hmmm....
Atom 4, Clio v6, & some other cars obviously.

B19TOY

Post by B19TOY » Wed Jul 06, 2016 7:46 am

Yes this included the winch, manual not electric.

...and you are right to question longer term durability after use and abuse.  One small issue has emerged in the first two weeks / 1000 miles of ownership, the mudguards are not up to the job, too flimsy and are cracking around the brackets.  These are being replaced with amended items under warranty.  I am not too far from Durham so not an issue for me. 

I guess future builds would have the mudguard improvement fitted from the outset.

Alex Brandon-Smith

Post by Alex Brandon-Smith » Wed Jul 06, 2016 7:55 am

[quote="B19TOY"]
Yes this included the winch, manual not electric.

...and you are right to question longer term durability after use and abuse.  One small issue has emerged in the first two weeks / 1000 miles of ownership, the mudguards are not up to the job, too flimsy and are cracking around the brackets.  These are being replaced with amended items under warranty.  I am not too far from Durham so not an issue for me. 

I guess future builds would have the mudguard improvement fitted from the outset.
[/quote]

Initially looking at the image on ebay i thought it looked a little flimsy and given I'm the other end of the country that would be an issue!