BT Infinity

Entertainment and stuff that has nothing to do with the models themselves...
benyeats

BT Infinity

Post by benyeats » Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:13 pm

Got Infinity installed today.  Going from a connection that on a good day with the right weather conditions was 2M at best to a reliable 30 - 40M is a revelation.  I can now do stuff like watch iPlayer and download knock off films until my heart's content.

Not sure what the purpose of this post is other than to suggest signing up if the service is on offer in your 'hood.

John Scherrer
Global Moderator

Re: BT Infinity

Post by John Scherrer » Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:35 pm

I wish !

7 Kms from the local village exchange, no evidence of fibre to the cabinet in sight :(

If it's not raining, I can sometimes get 1 Mb ..

A colleague at work was testing the technology in his Milton Keynes area for free. BT were installing things in his particular area and asked if he was willing (!) to have it installed for free, subject to providing feedback etc.

It started with 24Mb, then they wrote and said was 100Mb ok to install, but would need them to install fibre to his house, now they've upgraded him to 300Mb!

Me ... jealous ... of course not ..  Grrrr ..

The worst of it was, Milton Keynes was blessed with cheapo aluminium wiring which has all turned nasty in the last few years ..
Attachments
speed.JPG
Last edited by John Scherrer on Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Atom 3 310 Supercharged (2011), Now Sold

benyeats

Post by benyeats » Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:54 pm

We only got it as a result of the village winning BT's "race to infinity" competition.  It was the kind of race where it takes 18 months to deliver the prize to the winner but worth it in the end.

Most of the village has got fibre to individual houses but for some annoying reason the section I live in does not, still not a problem for now and I suspect won't be for many years as long as there is only 1 main Internet user in the house.

Milton Keynes shares some parallels with Cambourne in that it was originally fitted with BT's TPON (twisted pair optical network) which was a voice only fibre system that was cheaper than installing copper, all well and good until ADSL came along and needed a copper line.  In the end BT had to re-fit our village with copper instead.......

Simon

Post by Simon » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:18 pm

Had Infinity for about 18months now. 4km away from nearest exchange so was getting about 0.25MB before Infinity, now 37.5MB rock solid and totally reliable. Even the supplied HomeHub3 seems reasonable. All for only £6 per month more than my previous narrowband.

Simon

Sir Nick

Post by Sir Nick » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:49 pm

Stunning, I want it!
Atom 3.5R, Black+Red flashes, CF front & rear wings, CF bonnet & mud guards.  Bristol

AtomMadStew

Post by AtomMadStew » Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:19 am

Whats does Bt infinity run on? I live in a village where the old fogies on the parish council are stuck in the dark ages and have deemed us not even to be blessed with cable. However I am lucky to be 300yds from my exchange and can get download speeds of 1.5mbps and a speed of 12-16meg. I already have the home hub 3 and wondered if its any good. I'd like F1HD mainly. Not particularly bothered about any more channels.

John Scherrer
Global Moderator

Post by John Scherrer » Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:35 am

Whats does Bt infinity run on?

It's a fibre optical connection from the exchange to the cabinet at the end of your road with copper from your house to that cabinet. This gives up to 76Mbit/sec download and up to 19 Mbit/sec Upload, depending on your package. It uses the Home Hub plus a new modem.

A super-fast option (GPON) requires fibre layed to your house from the cabinet and gives up to 300 Mbits/sec download. This uses a different modem and your PC would require an ethernet connection to the hub and a gigabit-ready ethernet card in the PC.

A mega-fast option (XGPON) is being trialled in Cornwall at 10Gbit/sec !! (10,000 Mbit/sec)
Atom 3 310 Supercharged (2011), Now Sold

ross

Post by ross » Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:51 am

I felt dirty doing it (I was the first employee at Zen Internet and Operations Director there for during it's early years so I feel like a traitor now), but I also just took one of the BT Infinity's packages.

Got a free Humax YouView PVR box thrown in as well which swung it for me as I was going to buy one anyhow.

Doesn't get installed until 25th.

Cheers, Ross.

benyeats

Post by benyeats » Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:01 am

[quote="John Scherrer"]
Whats does Bt infinity run on?

It's a fibre optical connection from the exchange to the cabinet at the end of your road with copper from your house to that cabinet. This gives up to 76Mbit/sec download and up to 19 Mbit/sec Upload, depending on your package. It uses the Home Hub plus a new modem.

A super-fast option (GPON) requires fibre layed to your house from the cabinet and gives up to 300 Mbits/sec download. This uses a different modem and your PC would require an ethernet connection to the hub and a gigabit-ready ethernet card in the PC.

A mega-fast option (XGPON) is being trialled in Cornwall at 10Gbit/sec !! (10,000 Mbit/sec)
[/quote]

You can get a fibre to your home version of infinity rated at around 100Megs, but this is only being trialled in some areas.  This uses a different modem then a home hub 3.

[quote="Ross McWilliam"]
Got a free Humax YouView PVR box thrown in as well which swung it for me as I was going to buy one anyhow.
[/quote]

£50 Sainsbury's voucher for me, could not find a way to get a Humax box as would not mind one for, well ebay frankly.

Ben

ross

Post by ross » Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:05 am

[quote="benyeats"]

[quote="Ross McWilliam"]
[/quote]

£50 Sainsbury's voucher for me, could not find a way to get a Humax box as would not mind one for, well ebay frankly.

Ben
[/quote]

Yep, got the voucher as well, it was this offer (yet again I feel dirty....).  If you didn't get a YouView box, you might want to see if you can get one out of them.
Attachments
Capture.JPG

benyeats

Post by benyeats » Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:42 am

Ah ok, don't you end up paying £5 a month for the essential TV package as well? 

I don't want to do that as I already grudgingly pay for Sky for F1 purposes.

Ben.

p.s. it turns out the Sky box does a lot of cool stuff when plugged into a fast Ethernet connection. 

ross

Post by ross » Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:56 am

[quote="benyeats"]
Ah ok, don't you end up paying £5 a month for the essential TV package as well? 

I don't want to do that as I already grudgingly pay for Sky for F1 purposes.

Ben.

p.s. it turns out the Sky box does a lot of cool stuff when plugged into a fast Ethernet connection.
[/quote]

With that particular deal, the TV Essentials (£5 pm) is actually waived for 12 months.

I'll just cancel that service after 12 months as it adds very little to free YouView TV services anyhow - mainly just access to PPV movies, but I've got an AppleTV for that anyhow.

Like you say though, the Skybox you've got probably does everything you need anyhow.

Trigger

Post by Trigger » Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:31 pm

I just checked again what speed I am meant to get where i live.....2.5mb.....super.
Atom 4, Mclaren 720s, Audi Rs4, VW ID3.....

wasp

Post by wasp » Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:37 pm

[quote="Trigger"]
I just checked again what speed I am meant to get where i live.....2.5mb.....super.
[/quote]

I take your crazy 2.5 and lower it.......0.75-1mb :doh:

Welcome to Somerset
Atom 4, Gr Yaris

Trigger

Post by Trigger » Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:42 pm

I stress 'meant to get' - struggled to 1 mb the other day.......very annoying when you see other speeds.
Atom 4, Mclaren 720s, Audi Rs4, VW ID3.....