Gold......safe or sorry?

Entertainment and stuff that has nothing to do with the models themselves...
Andybee33

Re: Gold......safe or sorry?

Post by Andybee33 » Thu Feb 11, 2016 12:23 pm

[quote="wattie"]
Boom!!!!!!!!!!!!!
[/quote]

Yep - it's that 'double edged sword' feeling for us PM buyers/holders huh!  Our predictions (vis a vis DB etc) are finally coming true and the manipulators can't hold PMs down - that's the good bit.  The bad bit is maybe that things are going to get messy for a while.

GraemeW

Post by GraemeW » Thu Feb 11, 2016 12:32 pm

Seems to be the only commodity going up so far in 2016

wattie

Post by wattie » Thu Feb 11, 2016 2:26 pm

Silver is doing well too!
Cheers Wattie

jpswift

Post by jpswift » Thu Feb 11, 2016 2:31 pm

still dropped a shed load compared to 3-4 years ago though............

better invested in fast cars and loose women :drool:
ATOM 4
DEFENDER 90
CROSSTURISMO 4S
911  991.2
R1250GS

wattie

Post by wattie » Thu Feb 11, 2016 2:41 pm

[quote="justin swift"]
still dropped a shed load compared to 3-4 years ago though............

better invested in fast cars and loose women :drool:
[/quote]
That depends on which currency interests you Justin.....and where u think this is headed...Brexit etc!

www.buying-bullion.com (mates rates available ;))
Cheers Wattie
Attachments
gold-price-performance_x.png

AlanP

Post by AlanP » Sat Feb 13, 2016 8:13 am

As you say op clearly I don't understand. Perhaps you could explain, in simple terms, how I would be better off having $1200 now than $1800 4 years ago.

The reason I keep looking at this over the years is wondering if the word 'sorry' will appear anywhere other than in the title.

A
Beautiful 2000 XJR, last ever supercharged Atom, Fiesta Active, 'Verstappen' Honda e, Focus, Jaguar iPace, Volcano Yellow, MSO Black Pack 720S Spider.

wattie

Post by wattie » Sat Feb 13, 2016 9:04 am

You want me to apologise?
Are you kidding?
If you bought physical Gold, then u still have that physical gold- you haven't lost anything until you sell it.....which you obviously should do if you think this crisis is over. A 4.5 year snapshot in a crisis that is ongoing isn't the time to judge its value.
http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2016-0...y-21st-century
If you're pissed off go complain to the many banks that have been fined for Gold price manipulation and ask them to apologies for undermining your investment.....maybe start with Barclays, then UBS, JPM etc etc

Then if you still feel down, look at share prices globally down 20-70% around the world. oil, commodities, including what the banks have lost this year (see the table) .....oh and then there's anybody who had their bank deposits stolen through a bail in who lost tens of thousands that wouldn't have if they'd owned gold......bail ins now law in Europe (why do you think that is?).....and then if you still feel down read this and see if you should keep it.

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2016-02-11/janet-yellen-admits-fed-evaluating-possibility-negative-rates

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2016-02-11/best-and-worst-performing-assets-end-qe3

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2016-02-11/if-credit-right-sp-facing-40-crash

Unfortunately this crisis is not over by a long shot.

Apologise my ar**.
Cheers Wattie
Attachments
IMG_0208.JPG
Last edited by wattie on Sat Feb 13, 2016 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Andybee33

Post by Andybee33 » Sat Feb 13, 2016 11:25 am

Have to confess, I'm with Wattie on this.  To look at gold's value through the prism of infinitely printable fiat currency is to somewhat miss the point. The slide in USD gold price is purely the result of the ever more ridiculous confidence trick that the Federal Reserve are playing.  Look at US debt. If the U.S. was a household it would have been homeless and starving years ago. It is mathematically unpayable.

The U.S. confidence trick still relies on it being the world reserve currency but if you look at the rate the world is shedding treasuries, that is less and less true. Same for the petrodollar - loads of oil contracts now settled in yuan and roubles.  Their last throw of the dice looks to be to swim against the interest rate tide - but doing so now will probably bring the debt edifice crashing down.

I prefer to think of gold as the only real currency (as it has always been historically) and different fiat currencies as forms of scrip that reflect the productivity and honesty if their respective nations.  When you look at the extent of QE in the US it's hard to see them as anything other than desperate gamblers doubling down for the last time.  You can't print gold.
Last edited by Andybee33 on Sat Feb 13, 2016 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AlanP

Post by AlanP » Sat Feb 13, 2016 1:03 pm

I'm sorry but I live in the real world, I have a mortgage, school fees to pay etc. I don't want to 'invest' in something to keep in a cupboard.

Why don't the two of you send me a pile of cash, in exchange you'll get my gratitude. In 4 years you'll still have my gratitude so great!!

I pay for my food and drink with this 'infinitely printable flat currency'. I think it's quite important.

I started with something worth $1800 now I have something worth $1200. I must come to you for advice on what to do with my pension, if I live to 150 there may come a time when I can cash it in.

I didn't really expect to see an apology.

A
Beautiful 2000 XJR, last ever supercharged Atom, Fiesta Active, 'Verstappen' Honda e, Focus, Jaguar iPace, Volcano Yellow, MSO Black Pack 720S Spider.

Lord Studley

Post by Lord Studley » Sat Feb 13, 2016 2:06 pm

So working on this theory you can't lose money on shares if you don't sell them! Lol

wattie

Post by wattie » Sat Feb 13, 2016 2:08 pm

[quote="AlanP"]
I'm sorry but I live in the real world, I have a mortgage, school fees to pay etc. I don't want to 'invest' in something to keep in a cupboard.

Why don't the two of you send me a pile of cash, in exchange you'll get my gratitude. In 4 years you'll still have my gratitude so great!!

I pay for my food and drink with this 'infinitely printable flat currency'. I think it's quite important.

I started with something worth $1800 now I have something worth $1200. I must come to you for advice on what to do with my pension, if I live to 150 there may come a time when I can cash it in.

I didn't really expect to see an apology.

A
[/quote]
Nor should you expect an apology.
We all live in the real world and own Gold to protect our families wealth....over the long term. If you thought It was worth buying at $1800 its a bargain at $1200 and it'll lower your average buying price. Get some more.

If you "don't want to 'invest' in something to keep in a cupboard" why did you buy some in the first place?

"I pay for my food and drink with this 'infinitely printable flat currency'. I think it's quite important"
These people felt the same too....watch what their FIAT currency has become....fast to 47secs if you can't wait.
This is what happens when you infinitely print FIAT currency

Buying power.....
Cheers Wattie
Last edited by wattie on Sat Feb 13, 2016 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GraemeW

Post by GraemeW » Sat Feb 13, 2016 3:15 pm

I have one hundred billion dollars in my cupboard

I am a Zimbabwe dollar billionaire...but i have just one bank note.  I think it might buy me a latte
Attachments
Zimbabwe-100-billion-note-front.jpg

wattie

Post by wattie » Mon Feb 22, 2016 6:09 pm

[quote="wattie"]
Watch this if you think it's over.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7nuzT3rchPU&feature=player_embedded 

www.buying-bullion.com
(Mates rates available)

Cheers Wattie
[/quote]
Busy day for us online. Seems that Gold is being targeted as Brexit insurance. (sterling sufferred its biggest fall in a year today http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/e...xit-fears.html)

It's up 19% ytd in £. Silver 14%

Whatever your view on Brexit, the uncertainty all this is creating for Sterling makes a small gold investment look important to a growing number of UK savers. The broader point for investors everywhere is also plain, as politicians like nothing more than messing things up the horror of unintended consequences litters the Brexit debate.

Cheers Wattie