Gold......safe or sorry?

Entertainment and stuff that has nothing to do with the models themselves...
wattie

Re: Gold......safe or sorry?

Post by wattie » Wed Oct 19, 2011 3:10 pm

That's Platinum JP...wouldn't fill 8 inches of an Olympic pool!

Cheers Wattie
Last edited by wattie on Wed Oct 19, 2011 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AtomMadStew

Post by AtomMadStew » Wed Oct 19, 2011 5:04 pm

[quote="jpswift"]
did i read somewhere (maybe on here) that all the gold on the planet would fit in a cube under the eiffel tower or into an olympic sized swimming pool ?

I never mentioned it on here but someone told me the exact same thing Justin! SpOOky

maverick1

Post by maverick1 » Wed Oct 19, 2011 6:09 pm

Wattie,
I don't think Steve or many others on this forum will ever be convinced that gold and silver are good investments.
Historically, precious metals have been used for 1000's of years as real money and wealth, but now that's going to change with this recession/economy.
I don't think so.
When governments print trillions of dollars out of thin air the end result will be hyper inflation, and the decreasing value of the dollars. Common sense.
The only way to get out of this mess is for governments to back their currencies with something that has intrinsic value, like gold, silver, oil etc, instead of just their words.
This video brilliantly explains why gold is a good investment in these turbulent times. Watch the whole thing and then make your minds up.
It really makes a lot of sense.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5VNAEmmBQM
I do agree that hard, tangible assets are the way to go.
Real estate is a great asset if timed correctly, or if used to as a rental to generate an income stream.
By the way, I bet most of you think your homes are assets.....not true, they are liabilities, because every month money comes out of your pocket to pay the insurance, mortgage, property taxes, utilities, maintenance etc.
Don't feel bad, most people will fall into this trap and say that their homes are an asset, however they would be wrong.
Listen up...this is huge.
Something is considered an asset only if it generates cash flow into your pocket. Pretty simple.
Here are some good, short videos on the subject.
Robert Kiyosaki - Assets vs Liabilities
Robert Kiyosaki and 3 types of Assets
Robert Kiyosaki - 3 Types of Income
For the last decade gold has been one of the best investments period.
Check out this 10 year chart.
http://www.kitco.com/scripts/hist_charts/yearly_graphs.plx
cheers

benyeats

Post by benyeats » Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:29 pm

[quote="Stew Bartley"]
[quote="jpswift"]
did i read somewhere (maybe on here) that all the gold on the planet would fit in a cube under the eiffel tower or into an olympic sized swimming pool ?

I never mentioned it on here but someone told me the exact same thing Justin! SpOOky
[/quote]

The gold / Eiffel tower fact is true as far as I know.

I have been swayed and am going to buy a lot of gold which I will smuggle out of Switzerland in the modified panels of my Rolls Royce.  To further increase the value of my holding I will detonate a nuclear device inside the US gold reserve at Fort Knox.  What could possibly go wrong?

Ben

CalScot

Post by CalScot » Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:22 pm

[quote="maverick1"]
Wattie,
I don't think Steve or many others on this forum will ever be convinced that gold and silver are good investments.
Historically, precious metals have been used for 1000's of years as real money and wealth, but now that's going to change with this recession/economy.
I don't think so.
When governments print trillions of dollars out of thin air the end result will be hyper inflation, and the decreasing value of the dollars. Common sense.
The only way to get out of this mess is for governments to back their currencies with something that has intrinsic value, like gold, silver, oil etc, instead of just their words.
This video brilliantly explains why gold is a good investment in these turbulent times. Watch the whole thing and then make your minds up.
It really makes a lot of sense.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5VNAEmmBQM
I do agree that hard, tangible assets are the way to go.
Real estate is a great asset if timed correctly, or if used to as a rental to generate an income stream.
By the way, I bet most of you think your homes are assets.....not true, they are liabilities, because every month money comes out of your pocket to pay the insurance, mortgage, property taxes, utilities, maintenance etc.
Don't feel bad, most people will fall into this trap and say that their homes are an asset, however they would be wrong.
Listen up...this is huge.
Something is considered an asset only if it generates cash flow into your pocket. Pretty simple.
Here are some good, short videos on the subject.
Robert Kiyosaki - Assets vs Liabilities
Robert Kiyosaki and 3 types of Assets
Robert Kiyosaki - 3 Types of Income
For the last decade gold has been one of the best investments period.
Check out this 10 year chart.
http://www.kitco.com/scripts/hist_charts/yearly_graphs.plx
cheers
[/quote]
I strongly disagree with your definition of asset Maverick. Its way too simplistic and worse still.... it's wrong! An example is right in what you wrote. On one sentence you say "Real estate is a great asset if timed correctly, or if used to as a rental to generate an income stream" ....then you immediately say "By the way, I bet most of you think your homes are assets.....not true, they are liabilities, because every month money comes out of your pocket to pay the insurance, mortgage, property taxes, utilities, maintenance etc"  Property is about as tangible and "hard" of an asset as any of us will ever deal with. Unlike Gold, you can live in it, work out of it, vacation in it, store stuff in it, rent it, develop it, insure it, borrow against it and so much more. It may depreciate OR appreciate at times and be encumbered by taxes or associated costs, but it's an asset regardless.

It's an interesting thread. I'm enjoying the passionate view of those who make a living on the "money management" side of the fence as opposed to us regular Joe's. Many years ago, the spring of 1987 to be exact, I was the proud holder of a NASD Series 7 securities license. Yes, the crazy Scottish nut job was a legitimate licensed stock broker for Paine Webber, back in the day! It was an interesting job for a young guy looking to get out of being a North Sea Diver. I worked my arse off. The big crash in October 1987 only made the foray into that business more of a challenge. I spent 1987-88 pounding the phones and streets for clients, networking anybody and everybody to get business. By April 1988 I had a nice little book of new clients. The company also got me some clients. I was awarded several goodies for my stellar performance and was offered a transfer to New York if I wanted to. It was a valuable experience but I hated it and went back to Diving in 1988. It was constant pressure to sell your clients total crap. You can package it up as advice, but it was mostly pressure to sell crap the analyst had conjured up just to churn stock. Stuff has to be moving to make money. To this day, I’ve never taken anybody’s direct advice on moving money. I might screw stuff up with my little Charles Schwab self directed brokerage account but at least it’s my own screw ups.

I bet Gold will be $3000 an ounce by Christmas  :laugh:

maverick1

Post by maverick1 » Thu Oct 20, 2011 7:18 am

[quote="CalScot"]
I strongly disagree with your definition of asset Maverick. Its way too simplistic and worse still.... it's wrong! An example is right in what you wrote. On one sentence you say "Real estate is a great asset if timed correctly, or if used to as a rental to generate an income stream" ....then you immediately say "By the way, I bet most of you think your homes are assets.....not true, they are liabilities, because every month money comes out of your pocket to pay the insurance, mortgage, property taxes, utilities, maintenance etc"  Property is about as tangible and "hard" of an asset as any of us will ever deal with. Unlike Gold, you can live in it, work out of it, vacation in it, store stuff in it, rent it, develop it, insure it, borrow against it and so much more. It may depreciate OR appreciate at times and be encumbered by taxes or associated costs, but it's an asset regardless.
[/quote]
Peter...wrong buddy.
Lets break it down to the nitty gritty.
Can we agree that an asset can be defined as something that puts cash in your pocket, or generates positive cash flow?
For example, a dividend yielding stock is an asset because it pays you a monthly dividend, similarly a rental property is an asset when it generates positive cash flow from rental income.
Also, a business is an asset when the income in the form of revenue is higher than your expenses.
How can you say that a residential home is an asset when you have to take cash out of your pocket to pay all the expenses...insurance, taxes, mortgages, repairs, utilities etc.
A personal residence may be an asset if the property appreciates in value, but there is no guarantee that will happen. Just ask the millions of people around the world who are under water with their homes, where the home prices have fallen to less than half their original value. They are definitely not assets.
It's such a simple concept....an asset is something that flows cash into your pocket.
For example a prostitute is an asset to a pimp, because she brings cash flowing into the pimps pocket every time she does a trick.
However, she can also be a liability if she goes to the cops who end up arresting the pimp and putting him into jail.  :wize:

CalScot

Post by CalScot » Thu Oct 20, 2011 3:41 pm

[/quote]
Peter...wrong buddy.
Lets break it down to the nitty gritty.
Can we agree that an asset can be defined as something that puts cash in your pocket, or generates positive cash flow?[/quote]

No, we cannot agree on that. Which is exactly what I said before. Gold does not put cash is your pocket nor generate a positive cash flow yet you earlier define it as a hard asset then contradict yourself! Sometimes I really wonder if you are with the rest of us on the same planet! I'm also really sorry your last "Ho" turned you in and got you all upset!  ;D

Throwing out video's of Robert Kiyosaki giving financial advice on thread related to global finances is like bringing a water pistol to fight a raging forest fire. He's a charismatic type who has done well preaching basic financial advice to a good chunk of US citizens that live on credit cards and dream of being millionaires. He preaches the sophistication level of a fart in a spacesuit! He should marry Suzie Orman and they should be banished to preaching in trailer parks. Do yourself a favor by not watching guys like this unless you want to run with the flock of sheep!

Below is the US IRS definition of an asset is. Since the discussion is related to finances and economics, let's stick to accounting and financial definitions and not hookers or Da Vinci paintings found in the basement.

"An asset is a resource controlled by the enterprise as a result of past events and from which future economic benefits are expected to flow to the enterprise."

It's a new day, so I've changed my mind on the Gold prediction. I bet it will be $1000 an ounce by Christmas  :laugh:

Alex Brandon-Smith

Post by Alex Brandon-Smith » Thu Oct 20, 2011 7:16 pm

Technically guys, your residence is an asset if you could sell it and return a positive net contribution to your financial wealth. Therefore, a home is not as asset if it is worth less than your mortgage, it is then a liability because in selling it you will owe money to someone else. As CalScot says, gold is an asset even though it does not bring you in an income and it is even an asset if it's worth less than you paid for it because it could still be sold and brings you physical cash. Same with a car. Although everyone would consider it as a liability, technically, unless it has finance on it which is worth more, you could sell it and it is therefore an asset. Just my opinion! :)

oh and gold will be $7500 by Christmas.
310=325! That'll be the Presidential Remap kicking in... :vroom:

wattie

Post by wattie » Thu Oct 20, 2011 7:25 pm

How about looking "assets" from a slightly different perspective?

IMO, anything that we as individuals value, strive for, aspire to or view as important to our/our families moral or physical well being , no matter how large or small is an asset within our lives.

To that extent it's a personal matter.

It's well known that in general buying cars (unless they're incredibly rare or collectable) is a shocking investment....but we all still do it. Why?

There are certain aspects to life that you can't put a value on.....the way they make you feel.

A dream house that may have halved in value is still an asset that brings satisfaction. Nothing on this earth is guaranteed to increase in value.....doesn't matter cos if you spend you're entire life thinking
that's what's important.....you've lost sight of the big picture.

And, Life's to short for that.

Cheers Wattie

CalScot

Post by CalScot » Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:10 pm

[quote="wattie"]
How about looking "assets" from a slightly different perspective?

IMO, anything that we as individuals value, strive for, aspire to or view as important to our/our families moral or physical well being , no matter how large or small is an asset within our lives.

To that extent it's a personal matter.

It's well known that in general buying cars (unless they're incredibly rare or collectable) is a shocking investment....but we all still do it. Why?

There are certain aspects to life that you can't put a value on.....the way they make you feel.

A dream house that may have halved in value is still an asset that brings satisfaction. Nothing on this earth is guaranteed to increase in value.....doesn't matter cos if you spend you're entire life thinking
that's what's important.....you've lost sight of the big picture.

And, Life's to short for that.

Cheers Wattie
[/quote]
I am with you 100% Wattie. My personal definition of what is an "asset" is a refelction in large part of who I am. My accountant might not define any of it as an asset on a Balance Sheet but in the Balance Sheet of life, there are so many things that would go down in the "Asset Column":

The ability to love others in your life
Being Loved by others
Your health and that of those you love
Inteligence
A good edumacation
An open mind
Determination, persistence and a can-do attitude can be the best asset of all!

The list is long, but these things and so many more are way more important than money.

Alex Brandon-Smith

Post by Alex Brandon-Smith » Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:16 pm

Yep, totally agree chaps. Having had some tw*t in a Rangie almost do me in once, life is WAY to short to be worrying too much about anything that doesn't make you AAHHHH, OOOOO or WAHEY!  ;D
310=325! That'll be the Presidential Remap kicking in... :vroom:

atomathics

Post by atomathics » Fri Oct 21, 2011 7:19 am

[quote="CalScot"]
let's stick to accounting and financial definitions and not hookers or Da Vinci paintings found in the basement.

"An asset is a resource controlled by the enterprise as a result of past events and from which future economic benefits are expected to flow to the enterprise."

It's a new day, so I've changed my mind on the Gold prediction. I bet it will be $1000 an ounce by Christmas  :laugh:
[/quote]

I found a painting in my basement of DaVinci painting a hooker.  What's that worth by Christmas?

Steve

Post by Steve » Fri Oct 21, 2011 10:04 am

By Christmas the value of Tulips will exceed Gold. Mark my words.  US$600. :wize:

wattie

Post by wattie » Fri Oct 21, 2011 10:28 am

Interesting.....if Gold hits $600 by Christmas-

I suspect the $ will have rocketed in value against other currencies (covering some or all of Golds losses) and suspect that corresponding equities will have tanked too..........not a pleasant scenario.

Regardless, life will go on  and Jewellery will be a bargain for  Christmas pressies.....so demand may drive the price back up again!
  :tu:

Cheers Wattie

CalScot

Post by CalScot » Fri Oct 21, 2011 4:01 pm

I would like to propose a challenge to see who is the best at predicting (guessing) what the value of Gold, The US dollar and the Dow Jones will be on December 25th 2011.  It assumes you would invest your own money on the prediction and either go long or short on gold or the currency accordingly.

Today, as of this posting;
DJIA is 11,759
Gold is $1,639
$ to Euro is 1.3885

I'm going with;

DJIA=12,950. I think the US economy is starting to slowly rumble ahead and stocks are generally beaten down and undervalued right now. As Europe struggles and deals with all the debt crap, the US will creep ahead.

Gold=$1400. The dollar will slowly increase in value as the Euro erodes in value due to the increasing turmoil and debt related shuffling. The US economy while in the sh1t tank, will prove to be somewhat of a  stabilizing force out there, at least in relation to all the other crap happening, money will flow to it and it will get stronger. Gold will see downward pressure.

$=1.275.

Over Christmas, I will be on a small Caribbean Island that I have rented.
http://www.belize-vacation.com/placencia/french_louie_caye.html
I wont really care what the hell is happening to the rest of the world but I might just sneak a peek to see if I'm anywhere close  :)