Oops ! Bird Strike

Entertainment and stuff that has nothing to do with the models themselves...
John Scherrer
Global Moderator

Oops ! Bird Strike

Post by John Scherrer » Thu May 06, 2021 10:37 am

Seen at local garage, good job it wasn't an Atom !
Attachments
20210506_113446.jpg
20210506_113446.jpg (3.2 MiB) Viewed 1106 times
Atom 3 310 Supercharged (2011), Now Sold

AlanP

Re: Oops ! Bird Strike

Post by AlanP » Thu May 06, 2021 11:03 am

Right reg number!!
Beautiful 2000 XJR, last ever supercharged Atom, Fiesta Active, 'Verstappen' Honda e, Focus, Jaguar iPace, Volcano Yellow, MSO Black Pack 720S Spider.

travelbug63

Post by travelbug63 » Thu May 06, 2021 3:27 pm

On a slight tangent, I've never really understood why people block out reg numbers when they post photos of cars unless they're on a track day and shouldn't be or don't want people to see that it was on a track day when they flog it 2 months later.

If they are worried about vehicle cloning, people only need to go on say Autotrader and they can pick up the reg numbers of a number of identical looking cars... or have I missed something?
Atom 4, Jaguar I Pace, Honda cr-v (dog carrier), Mini JCW (wife's)

John Scherrer
Global Moderator

Post by John Scherrer » Fri May 07, 2021 7:08 am

Well it’s not my car, so didn’t want to post the photo with their registration without being able to ask the owner’s approval.
Atom 3 310 Supercharged (2011), Now Sold

travelbug63

Post by travelbug63 » Fri May 07, 2021 11:40 am

I appreciate that John, seems fair.

But it's a genuine question, is there something I'm missing as to the reason for people hiding the reg number ?

phil4

Post by phil4 » Fri May 07, 2021 1:12 pm

I think it all goes back to the fear of cloning. As you've said though, autotrader or just standing on a street corner will get you plenty of useful ones.

My guess is most hide it out of simple fear of the unknown, because they heard it could be bad. Equally I don't think there's any need to seek the owners permission, they show it publicly, so it's hardly hidden.

I'm not saying John is wrong to say what he said, nor to do it... if it makes John happy, and worry less, that's cool by me.

phil4

Post by phil4 » Thu May 13, 2021 10:56 am

It seems the information commissioners office (ICO) considers registration plates (VRMs) to be personal data:
The Commissioner has previously considered the status of VRM’s under
the DPA 1998 and decided that where the VRM belongs to a vehicle
which is owned by a living individual the VRM itself will be personal data
without associated information being disclosed with it. This is because
information identifying the owner of the vehicle is obtainable simply
from having access to the VRM
from: https://ico.org.uk/media/action-weve-ta ... 787725.pdf

travelbug63

Post by travelbug63 » Fri May 14, 2021 8:41 am

Looks to me like the ICO has to much time on it's hands.

So in summary your VRM is private data which you are legally required to display publicly at all times.... makes perfect sense to me :)

phil4

Post by phil4 » Fri May 14, 2021 9:32 am

I agree: it’s totally bonkers… and really the only reason they think that way is because the DVLA make far too much money and grant access far too freely their service to get names and addresses from the reg plate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fastlane

Post by Fastlane » Fri May 14, 2021 1:28 pm

phil4 wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 10:56 am It seems the information commissioners office (ICO) considers registration plates (VRMs) to be personal data:
The Commissioner has previously considered the status of VRM’s under
the DPA 1998 and decided that where the VRM belongs to a vehicle
which is owned by a living individual the VRM itself will be personal data
without associated information being disclosed with it. This is because
information identifying the owner of the vehicle is obtainable simply
from having access to the VRM
from: https://ico.org.uk/media/action-weve-ta ... 787725.pdf
GDPR only applies to businesses processing data, so individuals posting photos including reg. numbers is not covered by the legislation. :tu:
2008 Supercharged Atom 3, Tesla Model 3 Long Range

phil4

Post by phil4 » Fri May 14, 2021 1:42 pm

Except this forum is run and managed by a company, so you doing that would put ariel.club in danger.

By all means pop your pics on your own site though.

Fastlane

Post by Fastlane » Fri May 14, 2021 5:04 pm

phil4 wrote:Except this forum is run and managed by a company, so you doing that would put ariel.club in danger.

By all means pop your pics on your own site though.

If that is really case then the Club would need to remove all photos of any privately owned Atom, Nomad or Ace that wasn't taken by the owner of the car in the photo, unless the Club had sort permission from the current registered owner to allow the photo to be shown.

Of course that may come to pass but it would pretty much destroy this and all car forums across the world.

Sent from my ELE-L09 using Tapatalk

phil4

Post by phil4 » Fri May 14, 2021 5:10 pm

Yes, maybe we should… or instead we can let the past be the past and not post pics of random people we don’t know’s reg plates just because we think we should.

Fastlane

Post by Fastlane » Fri May 14, 2021 6:18 pm

phil4 wrote:Yes, maybe we should… or instead we can let the past be the past and not post pics of random people we don’t know’s reg plates just because we think we should.

So to be clear, are you suggesting from now on no-one on here can post any photos from any meets of any vehicles unless either they remove all reg numbers or have the permission from each owner and provide evidence to the Club?

In which case you need a sticky making all of this crystal clear and this will need to be moderated.

Just for reference, there are thousands of photos of car registration numbers on Pistonheads being uploaded every second. Pistonheads are a very commercial website with far more money than the Club and no doubt access to a lot of clued up lawyers. Then there is YouTube, who I again believe make a few bob or two, and have thousands of videos of cars being uploaded by enthusiasts every second, many of the cars obviously not owned by the uploader and clearly showing registration numbers.

Of course you may be right and the ICO will be looking to make an example of the Club before any of the hundreds of thousands of websites clearly showing random people's registration numbers...

Sent from my ELE-L09 using Tapatalk

phil4

Post by phil4 » Fri May 14, 2021 6:43 pm

Nah, not having a big argument, honest… i think it’s fine posting pics of our meets and cars as we all know each other and that’s fine.

I mean more like this pic here where we’re showing the reg of someone’s car and we’ve no idea of who they are.

I’m not going to be policing this, nor am I a forum nazi… more just want people to understand the risk to the club of posting a completes stranger reg…. That’s all.

Someone asked why people hide regs on photos taken, and I hope I’ve provided the answers/thinking above. I’m not saying I agree with it, as said why are we trying to treat something we have to display at all times in public, private. It’s nonsense but we have an idea why.