Future of high performance cars as daily drivers

Entertainment and stuff that has nothing to do with the models themselves...
meladdo

Future of high performance cars as daily drivers

Post by meladdo » Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:58 pm

Just a random obsevation after being out of action and not driving for 3 months I am back in my car for short journeys only and I have noticed.....or maybe I'm just bored and so noticed? how few performance cars there are on the roads, by this I mean fast saloons and coupes like the Evolution series and Subaru Impreza models and the Nisan Z series and even more few and far between is the GTR's and 911 in its various flavours, Audi RS's seem to be even more scarce.

All I see a huge sea of small economic cars up here (in the north). do you think the fast road cars are becoming less and less affordable for your average petrol head? or is there still a sea of em south of Brum?

Or are they all away for the winter? becoming a little more precious than ever before?

Maybe an eco car for the daily driver and a track day only toy is on the cards.....for the not to distant future for many o petrol head...?

Just an observation....your thoughts?
Last edited by meladdo on Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

John Scherrer
Global Moderator

Re: Future of high performance cars as daily drivers

Post by John Scherrer » Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:32 pm

Wattie has frightened them all off with his doom and gloom forecasts ..  >:D

It's the same down south ..
Atom 3 310 Supercharged (2011), Now Sold

Steve

Post by Steve » Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:27 pm

Can't move for supercars, buses and black cabs round here.

gavstoke

Post by gavstoke » Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:46 pm

I'm now starting to come to the conclusion that, although a nice luxury, I may have to thin out my toybox.
Not solely as an austerity measure but I don't get enough free time to use them all, and it's a shame to have great stuff sitting there doing nothing. Someone recently posted' I can only afford one recreational vehicle at one time' as a reason for frequent changes of vehicle, I have always tried to avoid swapping vehicles too often, hating the process of selling them with all the associated bullshit that goes with it, but I'm now thinking...........have one (poss 2!) toy at any one time and get the best out of them while you have them, then move on.......even if it means coming back at a later date to something you've had before.
Maybe it's my age!...........................old fart ...time running out...........talent never present..............what was I talking about?.............have you got any biscuits?

Gav

wattie

Post by wattie » Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:07 pm

[quote="John Scherrer"]
Wattie has frightened them all off with his doom and gloom forecasts ..  >:D

It's the same down south ..
[/quote]
Commonly known as "vehicular austerity" John........ :)

I went through it myself :doh:

Cheers Wattie

John Scherrer
Global Moderator

Post by John Scherrer » Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:12 pm

That's not how you spell testicular Wattie  :D
Atom 3 310 Supercharged (2011), Now Sold

Bruce Fielding

Post by Bruce Fielding » Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:13 pm

[quote="Steve"]
Can't move for supercars, buses and black cabs round here.
[/quote]

+1. Not to mention you can't get a table at a decent restaurant without booking months in advance.
Ariel Atom Owners Club founder, based in Central London

wattie

Post by wattie » Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:30 am

[quote="John Scherrer"]
That's not how you spell testicular Wattie  :D
[/quote]
Classic  :roflp:
Cheers Wattie

speedmachine

Post by speedmachine » Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:30 am

[quote="gavstoke"]
I'm now starting to come to the conclusion that, although a nice luxury, I may have to thin out my toybox.
Not solely as an austerity measure but I don't get enough free time to use them all, and it's a shame to have great stuff sitting there doing nothing. Someone recently posted' I can only afford one recreational vehicle at one time' as a reason for frequent changes of vehicle, I have always tried to avoid swapping vehicles too often, hating the process of selling them with all the associated bullshit that goes with it, but I'm now thinking...........have one (poss 2!) toy at any one time and get the best out of them while you have them, then move on.......even if it means coming back at a later date to something you've had before.
Maybe it's my age!...........................old fart ...time running out...........talent never present..............what was I talking about?.............have you got any biscuits?

Gav
[/quote]

That would be me, but with the only difference that I really like the proces of buying and selling as much as owning, tweaking and driving the cars...I have to say that I really am thinking of keeping the Atom with me for a longer time than the previous 13!....but than again, I've said that about almost every car I owned....but this time I really mean it!...hmmm said that a lot more often too...we'll see
Atom 4 on its way, GR Yaris for the wet days

TrackDayBore

Post by TrackDayBore » Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:16 am

I don't know why you're all moaning...it's 'car heaven' down here in Essex.

My get to the office car is a 911c2s and trackday cars...well, if it's raining I take the GTR, and if it's dry I take the 3 300.

Mind you Mellado, you're right about the "the huge sea of small economic cars"...
Luckily Porsche drivers receive maximum respect from other road users...so it's like the "parting of the Red sea" as a waft to work  8)

MonsieurX

Post by MonsieurX » Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:44 am

I see two aston martins per day, loads of porsches, and all kind of fast sedans here every day, even when it snows...

Must be the neighborhood...

:pop:

wattie

Post by wattie » Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:56 pm

Yup me too.....loadsa supercars!!

I see at least 6 Ferraris and a dozen Maserati's everyday on the M4..............all parked at Dick Lovett ;) (always thought that would be a good name for a brothel)

Cheers Wattie

Rocket Man

Post by Rocket Man » Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:33 pm

I saw a Renault Fuego the other day. When did you last see one of those outside a scrap yard?

MonsieurX

Post by MonsieurX » Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:36 pm

There's 2 in my block, i kid you not! I see them everyday!!! And im not in France :)

Steve

Post by Steve » Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:06 pm

Recently had an Aston 177 and a Maserati MC12 in my work car park so these things do get driven.