Skunkwurx Dash2 Pro Conversion AA2

All things Atomic
Oli1122

Skunkwurx Dash2 Pro Conversion AA2

Post by Oli1122 » Wed Mar 13, 2024 8:41 pm

Hello everyone,

I purchased a second hand but new dash2 pro display with all the knobs, switches and the surrounding. I also did get a bit of Race Technology paper work and the loom.

Yesterday i began to plug in the new dash. Dash lights up, horn, alarm, ignition, on/off, light switch and the fog lights are working.

But i didn't get to manage the indicators and hazard lights to work.
Fuses are checked but whats confusing me is the wiring esp. for the hazard lights.
There are more cables on the standard black connector (x8) than on the new dash (x3) - red marking
I did measure the OEM connector. 2 cables are 12V and 1 is around 5V.

On the indicator toggle there are 3 pins and OEM there are also 3 pins on the dash. No variation (yes i did start with the original cable color sequence) is working the indicators on the car. I suspect that the indicator toggle and the hazard switch are somehow connected to each other (power/ earth?!).

I have also one spare cable with a cable lug on each side. Spare or does it belong somewhere?

So... has anyone done this conversion and can recall it?
Or maybe someone has a documentation (PDF, Pictures, ...) how this has to be done.
New Dash Back
New Dash Back
dash2back.jpeg (593.35 KiB) Viewed 599 times
AA2 OEM Connector hazard
AA2 OEM Connector hazard
hazardconnector.jpeg (2.85 MiB) Viewed 599 times
AA2 OEM indicator pins
AA2 OEM indicator pins
indicator3.jpeg (2.42 MiB) Viewed 599 times

Atlarge

Re: Skunkwurx Dash2 Pro Conversion AA2

Post by Atlarge » Thu Mar 14, 2024 7:46 pm

Hi,

The wiring for the indicators and hazards are linked, I had an issue with mine a year ago with similar results…

Easiest way to troubleshoot… use your old hazard button (connect it) and make sure the indicators then work ok on the new dash. Once the indicators work normally, test the old hazard button connector pins to see what is connected to what, when off and on. The low voltage wire is probably the light for the original button, which you may still need or a resistor depending a what’s in the Skunkwurx one.

Failing that you could always see if the skunwurkx guy is around still by pm. He used to post here previously……..

Good luck!

Oli1122

Post by Oli1122 » Fri Mar 15, 2024 9:22 pm

Thanks, i did emailed the user hamtt as well.
In the meantime i checked the standard hazard button. It works normally and the indicators on the Dash2 are working properly.
So I measured and checked different combination.
Here is what i found out about the cables and the black OEM Connector (which as numbers and letters on it).

cable colours / connector number/letter / function

grey-violet / 30 / Always plus from the battery
green-white / R / indicator right
green-black / 49a / Output indicator
green-red / L / indicator left
green-violet (2 cables in 1 slot) / 49 / Input indicator
green-violet (1 cable in 1 slot) / 30b / switched plus (hazard ligh switch)
white-yellow / 15 / switched plus (Ignition)
black /31 / Ground - battery or car earth

Findings and tests:

1. from dash2 double pin to green-red & green-white / single pin to grey-violet = hazard button switched on - all indicators steady lighting - indicator toggle without any function.

2. from dash2 double pin to green-red & green-white / single pin to white-yellow = Same as in 1. but ignition has to be on.

3. from dash2 double pin to green-red & green-white / single pin to green-violet (1 cable) = no function of hazard switch and indicator toggle

4. from dash2 double pin to green-red & green-white / single pin to green-violet (2 cables) = Same as in 3. - no function of hazard switch and indicator toggle

5. from dash2 double pin to green-red & green-white / single pin to green-black = Same as in 3/4 - no function of hazard switch and indicator toggle

I also found a reddit thread with this information, mine has different cable colours but other than that looks very similar to me.
yellow = 2 cables/pins
blue = 1 cable/pins
Also I'm curious about the spare cable/pin bridge
1.png
1.png (1.59 MiB) Viewed 499 times

Atlarge

Post by Atlarge » Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:42 pm

How are you getting on? If the new switch is the issue, why not see if you can find a part number on it and see if there is a tech doc that you could match up with your old one?

Failing that, you could alway keep the old button in place maybe too! Was the dash previously installed, I’ve heard that the dash2pro is a bit tricky to configure as it has a lot more options than the standard dash2 in the 3.5’s.. but lots more features too that would be nice to have if it’s setup and working etc.

Oli1122

Post by Oli1122 » Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:33 pm

No progress in terms of the hazard switch. At the moment i chose the option you wrote.... and just kept the original switch. A friend of mine as done it on several other cars and will help me.

As for now I'm setting up the dash2pro. The software itself is pretty much self-explanatory but very capable on the option side.
Speedo and RPM are working.
As for water temperature i was a bit lazy and ordered the bosch sensor (for 16.- EUR) Race Technology is suggesting and is already preconfigured in their software. Thats a pretty good deal for saving my nerves.

Next one is setting up the fuel gauge... i already emptied the tank and as for now i'm searching for the right cable colour to measure out the voltage while pouring 5L at the time in the tank. At the end, I'm hoping for a better accuracy of the petrol gauge. Especially on track the spa dash is pretty erratic like a mixture of an current consumption display and a fuel gauge.