Atom 3.5 Standard brakes - M1144

All things Atomic
dinge

Atom 3.5 Standard brakes - M1144

Post by dinge » Mon Feb 06, 2023 6:35 pm

Hi all,

I have an Ariel Atom 3.5 supercharged from 2016 and I'm looking to upgrade the brakes.
From what I understand there are the standard brakes, competition brakes, and the Alcon setup.

From the spec sheet, I assume I got the standard brakes as nothing is specifically mentioned. The previous owner put some EBC Yellowstuff pads in but I don't like these brake pads.

The competition brakes just had another brake pad but the same calipers etc if I'm correct?

I would track the Atom so I heard some good things about the Mintex M114 pads. I know it should be better to upgrade to a full Alcon setup or just the fronts (there are some discussions on this forum about whether you should upgrade fronts or rears first).

But If I would just want to change the pads for now I understand that I need to search for brake pads for an MFG as this is the brake setup I'm running right now, right?

Does anyone know if these part numbers are correct?
Front brakes: MDB1419M1144
Rear brakes: MDB1673M1144

AndyG

Re: Atom 3.5 Standard brakes - M1144

Post by AndyG » Tue Feb 07, 2023 6:16 pm

I'd go straight to pagid RS14's or Performance Friction - standard pads arent up to much, especially if tracking.
Atom 4 (prev 3 & 3.5)

K20A2

Post by K20A2 » Tue Feb 07, 2023 7:24 pm

If there is no "Alcon" typing on your callipers you should have the 1-piston-floating-callipers of the standard brakes with 240mm discs.
The standard brakes had plain discs, the sports brake package had drilled or grooved discs of the same size.

These callipers were also fitted to the MGF, so to answer your question regarding the pads. There might be other brakes for the MGF though, so the 240mm should be the indicator.

If you like to improve your standard brakes without going the Alcon or AP way this might be interesting:

http://mgfmania.com/

They offer kits containing 280mm discs and adaptors to reposition the callipers, that fit p&p to the MG and resulting also to the Atom.

As Alcons are hard to get these days this might be a good choice front and rear to start with.

There are also other companies offering such kits, however at mgfmania you can choose between different disc brands and designs (plain, grooved, drilled, both).

autobackup

Post by autobackup » Thu Feb 09, 2023 11:41 am

I would strongly suggest that before you do anything you should simply call the Ariel factory who should be able to tell you the exact spec of your 3.5 and then take it from there in regard to upgrading/modifying the brakes!
Atom 3.5R (Cyprus)
Honda CRV 2.2 Ex Auto i-DTEC (Cyprus)
Suzuki Celerio 1.0 SZ4 (Cyprus)
Honda CRV Ex I-MMD eCVT Hybrid (UK)

reg

Post by reg » Sun Feb 12, 2023 3:11 pm

My .02

I would upgrade the fronts first 100%, you can always play with the master cylinders if there is a huge change in balance and you don't have a bias valve. IME 1144's on the 3.5 in Alcons were really quite decent, certainly better than the OE AA4 pads!

dinge

Post by dinge » Sun Feb 12, 2023 8:08 pm

Thanks for all your replies! I will upgrade both the front and rear as I found a secondhand set for the rears also. Will let you know how it drives on the road and on track compared to the Yellowstuf.

dinge

Post by dinge » Wed Apr 12, 2023 12:02 pm

For everyone who finds this topic. Just letting you know the part numbers are correct for the original brakes on my 2016 Atom 3.5.
Compared to the yellowstuff on track they have much better grip from cold and didn't feel any fading. Did a brake fluid change as well with Castrol SRF which could have helped also.