Insurance... again

All things Atomic
autobackup

Re: Insurance... again

Post by autobackup » Mon Aug 15, 2022 2:36 pm

As you are permanently exporting it you should be able to reclaim the UK VAT from HMRC at your point of exportation - you should be able to download all the required documentation from the HMRC website.

If you aren't going to register it in the UK it might be possible for Ariel to supply it VAT free - I would strongly suggest that you talk your options through with the factory before it's delivered to you.

If you decide to use a delivery company/shipping agent ,(the Ariel factory can sort this out for you) the agents can sort all this out for you - this might turn out to be the best option in the end!
Atom 3.5R (Cyprus)
Honda CRV 2.2 Ex Auto i-DTEC (Cyprus)
Suzuki Celerio 1.0 SZ4 (Cyprus)
Honda CRV Ex I-MMD eCVT Hybrid (UK)

autobackup

Post by autobackup » Mon Aug 15, 2022 2:47 pm

Something else occurs to me :

Do I understand that you won it on BOTB?

If so don't they deliver it as a package to your home address wherever you live with all the local taxes and expenses paid?
Atom 3.5R (Cyprus)

squarebeard

Post by squarebeard » Mon Aug 15, 2022 3:57 pm

Yes BOTB, and yes delivered, but all duties and taxes are on me :-[

Apologize for the drama but I'm trying to figure out my next move. I do so want the Atom. Three years of torturous waiting and all the uncountable hours researching practical information, communicating with the factory, communicating with BOTB, ticking and unticking options, just plain dreaming about... Today's tax shocker was perhaps the coup-de-grace. I could store it in Dover and drive on UK plates a few times a year, or maybe I have to sell it. Or move to the UK.

I'm likely entering a dark depression now.

I need a beer

Mrlizard

Post by Mrlizard » Mon Aug 15, 2022 4:13 pm

squarebeard wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 1:30 pm Maybe insurance is the least of my problems. It just occurred to me that I will have to pay 25% VAT on the car again when it arrives in EU, after having paid 20% VAT in the UK. That is an unexpected cost of more than £15000, which is especially tragic considering that I could have imported it for free before Brexit. This is likely a showstopper for me. Anyone want to buy a new Atom 4? :'(
Surely you dont need to pay VAT on it twice

autobackup

Post by autobackup » Mon Aug 15, 2022 4:43 pm

Forget picking it up personally in the UK just get it delivered directly to your address in Denmark by BOTB then the only duties and taxes you should need to pay are Danish - which you appear to have already budgeted for!

Let BOTB do all the paperwork heavy lifting as they should be able to export it from the UK car tax & VAT free!
Atom 3.5R (Cyprus)

squarebeard

Post by squarebeard » Tue Aug 16, 2022 8:39 am

autobackup wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 4:43 pm Forget picking it up personally in the UK just get it delivered directly to your address in Denmark by BOTB then the only duties and taxes you should need to pay are Danish - which you appear to have already budgeted for!

Let BOTB do all the paperwork heavy lifting as they should be able to export it from the UK car tax & VAT free!
I'm starting to agree with you that this may be the best way. Our VAT is 25% instead of 21% in Holland or 19% in Germany. Letting BOTB take care of the export/import to the nearest port means I will have to bite the 25% DK VAT bullet. I didn't budget for VAT - it wasn't relevant back when I won.

autobackup

Post by autobackup » Tue Aug 16, 2022 1:11 pm

In that case get BOTB to pay the UK VAT (as they would if delivered to an UK winner) and then you pay the Danish 25% VAT on import then YOU reclaim the UK 20% VAT yourself as the vehicle has been exported which will eventually leave you only 5% out of pocket!

But then again surely BOTB should pay the Danish 25% VAT because as the car is being exported they will be able to reclaim the 20% UK VAT themselves?
Atom 3.5R (Cyprus)