The curious case of the Atom 4 brakes

All things Atomic
reg

The curious case of the Atom 4 brakes

Post by reg » Sat Apr 16, 2022 2:50 pm

So following on from this thread I have put some time into looking at the brakes (or lack of them) in my car.

My background is 250GP bike racing, BSB, MotoGP spannering, 3.5 owner for 5 or so years. I spent a lot of time on the calipers and became quite OCD about preparation. Having been lucky to work with factory only calipers I appreciate the engineering and the wildly differing requirements of riders/drivers. We had data channels specifically for brake pressure, temps, etc, factory stuff. The first time I looked at the AP's, I thought that they looked a bit basic. I have AP CP5575 (old school 6 pot) on a 1 series with two piece 356mm rotors, my old Atom would outbrake that easily, the 4, I am not sure it would....but might with some leg gymnastics.

Picking up the 4 the brakes were not much short of awful. Long pedal, no bite. I was assured that they needed bedding in time so I followed my usual procedure of heat cycles. The dull drive back on the motorway it's easy to bed them in with a bit of left foot and loads of straight roads. They never came to me. Were they less crap, maybe a little.

I put up with it TBH, but then Ian drove mine and it just reaffirmed how rubbish they are. Now. At this point I am slightly pissed off as the only reason I opted for the 'race' setup was that the 3.5 was just epic on the brakes, so I figured this is the AP 'fit and forget' solution. It turns out not so much.

Enter Chris and Paul, who gave me access to their work, and invaluable feedback. They are amongst a niche of owners who really push and modify the AA4 platform. I came away after passenger rides and generally annoying them for a day at Cadwell with many questions.

Today, Ian and myself had a little look at the AA4 and his AA3.5 setup, both factory. To say a lightbulb has gone on is somewhat of an understatement. The 3.5 uses an Alcon CRH304, application rally, single seater, hill climb, saloon car. The 4 uses AP 7600, application: factory BBK, fast road. I think that's the crux of it, but let's continue.

Q. What are the actual issues with the 4?
1. Pedal travel, totally unacceptable. There is approx 20mm of nothing, then when it does start to bite it's soft.
2. Feel. The pads feel wooden, horrible.
3. Disc colour. There is very little evidence of bite. They have some colour but they don't clean the disc.

Q. What has been the feedback from the factory?
1. Obviously I raised the issue and the brakes will be bled, pads changed as a start.
2. I am told there is a 'new bleeding process'.
3. I have been told there is a chance air is getting into the system.

Q. And what do you think of that?
No comment.

Q. Does the 4 stop?
Yes it stops, but you need to apply significantly higher pressure to the pedal. The initial bite doesn't give you any confidence.

Q. That'll be shitty pads?
I am going to ask the factory to bleed and change pads. If that sorts everything out, happy days. But, the 3.5 used 1144/2500, nothing exotic at all, and it shouldn't need it due to it's weight. I have the option of a Pagid RS14 and Pagid 19/29...and they were epic on an M3 but ate the discs and are really made for big lardy saloon cars.

Q. If not?
I am prepared to be surprised, but having looked more and more at it I think I won't be. So. In the case of these AP 'race' things still being poor I am going to change the calipers. It is my opinion now that the 7600's are primarily made for servo systems, and do not match the OE Tilton master cylinder. We know the Alcon setup was just about the nicest thing, so there is no point flogging a dead AP horse. Caterham, Radical have nothing trick, and pull up like the older Alcon setup.

My advice to anyone reading this and putting a spec together (and until I am proved wrong, which I will be delighted about) is fit standard brakes and buy an Alcon setup yourself. One thing that is really playing on my mind is why did the factory change an established partnership with Alcon? AP to Alcon, there is no change needed, we have measured everything and it's a like for like swap. The Alcon caliper is slightly wider but hole pitch, centerline, offset is the same. Was it a commercial decision or something else? If anyone from the factory can comment on this I would be very keen to know.

We will have brakes. And just like they used to be :roflp: If anyone is interested I have a load of pictures on the above.....

Atlarge

Re: The curious case of the Atom 4 brakes

Post by Atlarge » Sat Apr 16, 2022 9:21 pm

I’d be interested to know if the factory still supply Alcon rears... if they have moved on to AP I wonder if it will be possible to source the callipers direct?

Charlie

Post by Charlie » Sat Apr 16, 2022 11:12 pm

I have standard brakes fitted on my 4 and was looking to upgrade and source elsewhere but everyone told me the brakes are unique to Ariel viewtopic.php?f=23&t=18521 but from what you are saying is the Alcon and AP are interchangeable can you confirm this as there are Refurbed Alcons for sale by a company on eBay or if there is any other cars that they fit as I believe the pads for the Alcons are the same as the Old Ford Racing Puma the wide arched LE back from the early noughties?

IanG

Post by IanG » Sun Apr 17, 2022 7:32 am

Atlarge wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 9:21 pm I’d be interested to know if the factory still supply Alcon rears... if they have moved on to AP I wonder if it will be possible to source the callipers direct?
I know when [mention]Winmoz[/mention] had his brakes up rated at the factory in February this year
They fitted AP’s to the rears.
He already had Alcons on the front.
Seams a strange mix
Attachments
6F4AE77F-7251-4550-A272-9B9733EA4644.jpeg
6F4AE77F-7251-4550-A272-9B9733EA4644.jpeg (728.13 KiB) Viewed 11136 times

Winmoz

Post by Winmoz » Sun Apr 17, 2022 8:44 am

I have yet to properly test the APs, but as Ian says, I have Alcons on the front and had the ‘sports’ set up on the rear.

In that set up the rear pads wore faster than the fronts (I have onboard bias adjustment) but I have to say, I never experienced the rears overheating.

I ran APs on the front a axle of my Mini and they were epic (with Mintex 1144 pads, but I went through discs like I can go through Jaffa cakes).

I’ve not noticed any real difference on the road between the new set up (AP rear, Alcon front) but will see what the score is like when I have had a chance to do a track day (although there will be a number of other upgrades to factor in).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
#BananAtom

Richard Marler
Administrator

Post by Richard Marler » Sun Apr 17, 2022 11:27 am

I have found the brakes on the 4 to be the most disappointing aspect of a great car. Particularly on track, but also on the road, I just have no confidence in them. The long travel described above just sucks away the feel. It feels like there is nothing nothing and then lock up. I am been told to fit the uprated pads and which point they will bleed again, so we will see. If there is any proven route to more edgy bite, I would love to hear it.

reg

Post by reg » Sun Apr 17, 2022 2:09 pm

Charlie wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 11:12 pm I have standard brakes fitted on my 4 and was looking to upgrade and source elsewhere but everyone told me the brakes are unique to Ariel viewtopic.php?f=23&t=18521 but from what you are saying is the Alcon and AP are interchangeable can you confirm this as there are Refurbed Alcons for sale by a company on eBay or if there is any other cars that they fit as I believe the pads for the Alcons are the same as the Old Ford Racing Puma the wide arched LE back from the early noughties?
They are a 130mm radial mount, there are a few options. Just be sure to double check the adaptor needed for the disc diameter you choose. We think it’s possible to actually increase the disc diameter at the front, obviously changing the adaptor or just adding a spacer. Ariel BBK anyone?

Charlie

Post by Charlie » Sun Apr 17, 2022 4:11 pm

reg wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 2:09 pm
Charlie wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 11:12 pm I have standard brakes fitted on my 4 and was looking to upgrade and source elsewhere but everyone told me the brakes are unique to Ariel viewtopic.php?f=23&t=18521 but from what you are saying is the Alcon and AP are interchangeable can you confirm this as there are Refurbed Alcons for sale by a company on eBay or if there is any other cars that they fit as I believe the pads for the Alcons are the same as the Old Ford Racing Puma the wide arched LE back from the early noughties?
They are a 130mm radial mount, there are a few options. Just be sure to double check the adaptor needed for the disc diameter you choose. We think it’s possible to actually increase the disc diameter at the front, obviously changing the adaptor or just adding a spacer. Ariel BBK anyone?

Thanks can you tell me anywhere that sells the adapter I am having trouble finding any info online on them and it is the first I have heard of them also do you know if the suspension has any other options i.e do Ohlins formula spec fit an ariel and just choose spring rating?

Richard Marler
Administrator

Post by Richard Marler » Sun Apr 17, 2022 4:33 pm

Worth me adding here: With the brake and accelerator being so much closer on the 4, I am still not convinced that at least some of the time I am hitting the accelerator at the same time as the brake, which would obviously explain my comments on feeling and performance.

Yorkshire

Post by Yorkshire » Sun Apr 17, 2022 5:08 pm

The brakes on my Atom 4 are great now i have altered them. Solid feel just like my Atom 3.5R. Simple fix really just need one new master cylinder and about 2 hours to fit and re bleed. An engineer friend of mine looked at it and suggested i alter the master cylinders to give a stiffer pedal with less travel.
The Atom 4 has a Tilton 0.625 cylinder on the fronts and a 0.700 cylinder on the rears. I bought a brand new 0.875 cylinder for about £100 and then removed the 0.625 cylinder completely. Fitted the existing 0.700 from the rears to the front circuit and the new 0.875 to the rear circuit. Pedal requires approx 42% effort but has 42% less travel. Worked for me hope this helps.
I also fitted new Mintex Pads.

reg

Post by reg » Sun Apr 17, 2022 5:48 pm

Yorkshire wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 5:08 pm The brakes on my Atom 4 are great now i have altered them. Solid feel just like my Atom 3.5R. Simple fix really just need one new master cylinder and about 2 hours to fit and re bleed. An engineer friend of mine looked at it and suggested i alter the master cylinders to give a stiffer pedal with less travel.
The Atom 4 has a Tilton 0.625 cylinder on the fronts and a 0.700 cylinder on the rears. I bought a brand new 0.875 cylinder for about £100 and then removed the 0.625 cylinder completely. Fitted the existing 0.700 from the rears to the front circuit and the new 0.875 to the rear circuit. Pedal requires approx 42% effort but has 42% less travel. Worked for me hope this helps.
I also fitted new Mintex Pads.
Excellent. Thanks a lot for sharing. Looks like we are on the same page with ratio vs calipers. Could we bother you for part numbers....

Yorkshire

Post by Yorkshire » Sun Apr 17, 2022 6:11 pm

Tilton 74 Series Master Cylinder 7/8" (22.2mm) Bore Cylinder Only on e bay £69.48 from Competition Supplies. This will sort out long travel pedal and better feel. Mintex Pads i would have to look up but my choice may not be every bodies as i only use my Atom on circuit not the road.

robfitz

Post by robfitz » Sun Apr 17, 2022 6:37 pm

Thank you for the info on here. I am still running mine in but haven’t changed my view from the first time driving that the brakes aren’t great. Good to hear it can be fixed with a master cylinder and pad change, I shall add that to the list.
GR Yaris CP for when it rains, Atom 4 for when it doesn’t.

Peter255

Post by Peter255 » Sun Apr 17, 2022 6:43 pm

I like the sound of the larger master cylinder. Seems like a good fix!

[mention]reg[/mention] you getting this fitted?

And they fitted APs to the back of Steve's car?! :o Miss-matched brakes?! :td:
Atom 4, Clio v6, & some other cars obviously.

Charlie

Post by Charlie » Sun Apr 17, 2022 7:27 pm

Sorry if I am hijacking this thread but can anyone tell me the spec of the handbrake callipers for the 4 as the standard brakes don’t come with the separate calliper is it also an A.P and a straight forward fit without any extras?