Cup Car For Road Use?

All things Atomic
Scott H

Cup Car For Road Use?

Post by Scott H » Tue Apr 12, 2022 6:23 pm

Hi guys

I don't have an Ariel (yet!), but it's surely only a matter of time.

I have a long history of Caterham and Lotus cars. I'm currently trying to be all 'grown-up' by driving a Ferrari 360 - it's a genuinely awesome car, but I'm missing the visceral nature of my usual 'track day' fare. I have my eye on the Cup car that's been up for sale for a while at the Aston Workshop / Car Barn. Pricey for what it is, but it's the hard-core version of a hard-core car, so I guess it HAS to be on my radar.

I thought I'd better do some due diligence with those 'in the know' before jumping into the world of Ariel - does anyone on here know the car?

There's scant info on the Web about how the Cup cars work on the roads - I gather that the race geometry makes for a fidgety ride, and I'm aware that baffled fuel tanks are a PITA to fill. Do the Alcon callipers and Ohlins dampers bring much to the party here (over a standard car)

How do they 'go'? Is the supercharged car vastly quicker off the mark?

Any and all thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Oh, the car in question...

https://aston.co.uk/cars-for-sale/-/-/car2476

Fastlane

Re: Cup Car For Road Use?

Post by Fastlane » Tue Apr 12, 2022 7:31 pm

Welcome. I believe that car is registered YN66 LVL and has had rather checkered history and has been for sale on and off for several years see here: https://www.ariel.club/forum/viewtopic. ... vl#p290607

Of course it may be a different car, but a call to the dealer to confirm the reg and VIN will confirm. If it is this car, it is one to avoid...

And in answer to your question, a supercharged Atom is quicker in every way than an na one, by quite some margin, but both are very fast!
2008 Supercharged Atom 3, Tesla Model 3 Long Range

Scott H

Post by Scott H » Tue Apr 12, 2022 7:46 pm

Thanks Tim - same Reg.

You've helped me avoid a possible lemon, so thanks again!

The search continues...

mynamesnotbob

Post by mynamesnotbob » Tue Apr 12, 2022 10:25 pm

I'm sure there are some on here that might me up for a sale so put up a wanted note and see what happens.

Your question about the Ohlins and Alcons - for brakes, always get the best I always say. And on a 4 the ohlins are sublime, it is the best damped car I have ever driven just brilliant. I suspect its much the same on the 3 and 3.5

Probably irrelevant now as you aren't considering this cup, but: Geo you can always change. Baffled tanks, don't see an issue - most of my tanks pre Atom are baffled and foamed, no issue and would prefer it on the Atom as I can hear the fuel slosh when I wheel it around so know its moving at speed. Only issue was running a bag tank which I had to replace every few years

atomiser

Post by atomiser » Sat Apr 16, 2022 12:55 pm

I own a ariel cup car with a supercharger fitted by the factory. Also has the aero. Good basis for going into a 3.5R. Make sure they have the porsche bearing upgrades otherwise you will forever replacing the them given the suspension setup gives very good grip. I've also put on ppf on exposed frame and leading edges, since the cost of repainting is high.

They work well on the road providing you put the suspension into wet settings and put on road bias tyres (or drive in the bone dry - it is a handful in the damp!)

Front splitter needs to be treated with care over speed humps.

On my search for cup cars - there are lots with chequered history. The factory is your friend in weeding out the none starters.

Full service history with factory or recognised indy is essential. These cars will have been used on track and engines are sensitive and require regular oil changes to remain bullet proof. Check the underside carefully, many have been in kitty litter and have been stone blasted as a result, leading to rusting chassis, rodends, rose joints etc.

Its worth running a paint depth meter over the chassis to check if it is a crash/repair. A lot of the ex-cup cars went into the barriers and/or not maintained by Ariel trackside.

Scott H

Post by Scott H » Tue Apr 19, 2022 7:42 pm

mynamesnotbob wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 10:25 pm I'm sure there are some on here that might me up for a sale so put up a wanted note and see what happens.

Your question about the Ohlins and Alcons - for brakes, always get the best I always say. And on a 4 the ohlins are sublime, it is the best damped car I have ever driven just brilliant. I suspect its much the same on the 3 and 3.5

Probably irrelevant now as you aren't considering this cup, but: Geo you can always change. Baffled tanks, don't see an issue - most of my tanks pre Atom are baffled and foamed, no issue and would prefer it on the Atom as I can hear the fuel slosh when I wheel it around so know its moving at speed. Only issue was running a bag tank which I had to replace every few years
Thanks very much MNNB!

Scott H

Post by Scott H » Tue Apr 19, 2022 7:43 pm

atomiser wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 12:55 pm I own a ariel cup car with a supercharger fitted by the factory. Also has the aero. Good basis for going into a 3.5R. Make sure they have the porsche bearing upgrades otherwise you will forever replacing the them given the suspension setup gives very good grip. I've also put on ppf on exposed frame and leading edges, since the cost of repainting is high.

They work well on the road providing you put the suspension into wet settings and put on road bias tyres (or drive in the bone dry - it is a handful in the damp!)

Front splitter needs to be treated with care over speed humps.

On my search for cup cars - there are lots with chequered history. The factory is your friend in weeding out the none starters.

Full service history with factory or recognised indy is essential. These cars will have been used on track and engines are sensitive and require regular oil changes to remain bullet proof. Check the underside carefully, many have been in kitty litter and have been stone blasted as a result, leading to rusting chassis, rodends, rose joints etc.

Its worth running a paint depth meter over the chassis to check if it is a crash/repair. A lot of the ex-cup cars went into the barriers and/or not maintained by Ariel trackside.
Thanks very much Atomiser.

Scott H

Post by Scott H » Fri May 20, 2022 8:10 pm

Just a quick update on this...

I went down to The Car Barn and had a good look around the car.

The chassis looks perfectly straight, and all the suspension pick-up points look like they should.

I also spoke with Ariel and they confirmed that they saw the car after it retired from racing (they carried out some work to convert it to road spec). They didn't specifically assess the chassis for straightness, etc, but there was nothing of obvious concern reported in the job notes.

I'm still mulling over the car, but not because of the racing exploits noted in this (and the other) thread... just simply because I saw a gorgeous little Morgan and it turned my head! Drove it and had a hoot - very different type of 'hoot' to that which the Atom delivers, but still A LOT of fun.

I suspect that if I do buy the Morgan, then I'll get an order in for a new Atom 4 or SC Nomad.

Thanks for the replies.