Adjustable Traction Control - Any good?

All things Atomic
abcoro

Adjustable Traction Control - Any good?

Post by abcoro » Thu Feb 03, 2022 4:18 pm

Hello,

I ordered my Atom 4 without the "Adjustable Traction Control" option. Now, I have been looking for any reviews or practical comments pro and contra, but I could not find anything very useful related to this topic. Probably this info is available somewhere on this forum, but I just could not find it, apologies in advance.

I will use my Atom mainly on trackdays (and hopefully I can get it registered eventually too) and was wondering if I should take the Traction Control option after all (all the other crucial option I already have like the öhlins, ap brakes, ...)? I can assume it will be most effective on a damp/wet track. And it might be a good option if I wanted to sell the car at some point, or not?

So, if any of you guys have actual experience with the "Adjustable Traction Control" option, please do let me know, good or bad...

Thanks,
abel.

wasp

Re: Adjustable Traction Control - Any good?

Post by wasp » Thu Feb 03, 2022 7:10 pm

Hi Abel,

Having had two Atoms without traction I wasn't keen on the idea.

It is however a brilliant system and a revelation. You can do wet track days and really keep the power on should you wish. It's the best system bar none that I've had on a track car. It's way better than the Lotus system imo.

Get it fitted during build as it's very expensive to add afterwards.

It's also great if you ever let anyone drive your car or if you do end up doing a road trip and getting caught out.

Cheers,
Stu

willox

Post by willox » Thu Feb 03, 2022 9:59 pm

Recently purchased Atom4 with traction and boost control.Great feature to have imo.First proper traction control I've ever had and it feels proper race car.It worked well on the short drive I had, yet to take the car out since buying it but cant wait.Car felt a proper torque monster, was damp conditions so cranked the traction up a few stages and was noticeable in its behaviour.Sounded awesome as it cuts in,whatever it does it feels well mapped and set up, excited for the finer weather to get her out.

Luckky

Post by Luckky » Thu Feb 03, 2022 10:29 pm

@abcoro,

I have had mine for a year with the big options fitted like you mention, I got talked in to it by the factory. As long as you know what you are paying for then it’s worth it if it suits your needs. It’s a heavy beast at the back and I’ve span out on track in the wet (and I do mean wet) so it won’t prevent spins on track fully.

Equally, it’s a really progressive system and can be really useful as you get to know the car. In hindsight I am pleased I spec’d it and do use it on a lower setting on the road. If it’s simply a track toy and you know what you are doing, I doubt you’ll use it much… something to think about

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

abcoro

Post by abcoro » Fri Feb 04, 2022 7:13 am

wasp wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 7:10 pm Hi Abel,

Having had two Atoms without traction I wasn't keen on the idea.

It is however a brilliant system and a revelation. You can do wet track days and really keep the power on should you wish. It's the best system bar none that I've had on a track car. It's way better than the Lotus system imo.

Get it fitted during build as it's very expensive to add afterwards.

It's also great if you ever let anyone drive your car or if you do end up doing a road trip and getting caught out.

Cheers,
Stu
Thanks for sharing your experiences and thoughts. Installation afterwards would not be an option for me I think, hence I am seriously considering to have it from the start, might be a good/wise investment as my wife will want to drive it sometimes too on track (I'm afraid) 😅😜
willox wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 9:59 pm Recently purchased Atom4 with traction and boost control.Great feature to have imo.First proper traction control I've ever had and it feels proper race car.It worked well on the short drive I had, yet to take the car out since buying it but cant wait.Car felt a proper torque monster, was damp conditions so cranked the traction up a few stages and was noticeable in its behaviour.Sounded awesome as it cuts in,whatever it does it feels well mapped and set up, excited for the finer weather to get her out.
Another push for me to get it installed from new...and then there's ofcourse also Boost control...
Luckky wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 10:29 pm @abcoro,

I have had mine for a year with the big options fitted like you mention, I got talked in to it by the factory. As long as you know what you are paying for then it’s worth it if it suits your needs. It’s a heavy beast at the back and I’ve span out on track in the wet (and I do mean wet) so it won’t prevent spins on track fully.

Equally, it’s a really progressive system and can be really useful as you get to know the car. In hindsight I am pleased I spec’d it and do use it on a lower setting on the road. If it’s simply a track toy and you know what you are doing, I doubt you’ll use it much… something to think about

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Well, I'm used to a beast with a heavy back on track, but the Atom 4 is half the weight of what I'm used to drive...so it's much more of a go-kart feel rather then a "heavy" race car (but 1240kg is still quite OK for a racecar) at the back...for me I enjoy driving in the rain a lot, so I guess the Traction Control would make sense then. I doubt I will use it in the dry on track as it "kills" the initial idea and target of the Ariel Atom. And ofcourse, it's comforting to have it enabled if I let someone else drive my Atom. Ha, seems I already have made up my mind 😅

Thanks for chiming in who did. Appreciated.

AlanP

Post by AlanP » Fri Feb 04, 2022 7:31 am

Luckky,

I have found if the factory try to persuade you into something its because its worth having!

(I thought you'd like another reply)

A
Beautiful 2000 XJR, last ever supercharged Atom, Fiesta Active, 'Verstappen' Honda e, Focus, Jaguar iPace, Volcano Yellow, MSO Black Pack 720S Spider.

travelbug63

Post by travelbug63 » Sat Feb 05, 2022 1:19 pm

I've got the traction control on my 4 and would highly recommend it, I really think it's worth the money.

Boost control on the other hand I wouldn't bother with. I had mine turned to 1 the first time I drove the car and since then have had it on 3 permanently and have never touched it again.

One option I didn't go for and wished I had was the reversing camera. When you're strapped in it's really difficult to see behind you, which really surprised me. I thought, no roof, windows, pillars etc, it won't be an issue, how wrong I was.

I bet you your budget you've set aside for options increases by about 50% by the time you finalise your build spec :)
Atom 4, Jaguar I Pace, Honda cr-v (dog carrier), Mini JCW (wife's)

Luckky

Post by Luckky » Sat Feb 05, 2022 3:56 pm

AlanP wrote:Luckky,

I have found if the factory try to persuade you into something its because its worth having!

(I thought you'd like another reply)

A
Much appreciated ImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Preseh

Post by Preseh » Sat Feb 05, 2022 4:21 pm

I haven't got traction control in my car because I wanted it to be as raw as possible and felt I'd end up relying on it. I haven't done a wet track day in the Atom but I'd imagine it would come in very handy so I reckon it's a no brainer for you.

I love the adjustable boost control on my car though. For a lot of British roads I find that boost map 3 is too much unless you're short shifting or travelling way over the speed limit. Boost map 1 is quite fun because you can exploit the whole rev range. Also good for slippery days or any time the girlfriend is in the car 😂

Rob4

Post by Rob4 » Sat Feb 05, 2022 6:44 pm

I was in two minds whether to have traction control and boost control for my 4 and I’m glad I had both. Makes the car very adjustable for all conditions and that’s based on approaching 3k mileage predominately on road and also track. Totally happy with my spec having talked through it with Tom beforehand. The only thing I would possibly add retrospectively is the reversing camera.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hedge

Post by Hedge » Sat Feb 05, 2022 8:05 pm

Tom wouldn't let me have it in any of the Atoms I had :-)

Cheers,
Hedge

abcoro

Post by abcoro » Sun Feb 06, 2022 8:06 am

[mention]travelbug63[/mention] , apparently a reversing camera is no big luxury on the Atom 4 indeed. The dealer here in Belgium put it on my spec from first instance as he said I would regret immediately if I wouldn't take it. So, that was sorted out quite quickly.

[mention]Preseh[/mention] , not really keen on the Boost control but I can understand the attraction for some. For me the Atom would be track only (unless I would succeed in registering it here in Belgium in future to come), and then again I think I would only activate traction control in the wet and never on a dry track (unless I let my wife or a friend drive it on track...)

[mention]Rob4[/mention] Thanks for sharing...it adds up to the balance.

[mention]Hedge[/mention] Haha...and what would be the reason for that??

Thanks,
abel.

reg

Post by reg » Mon Feb 07, 2022 8:36 pm

The TC is brilliant. Set on 2-3 it rarely intervenes. Of course off is amusing. On a recent freezing drive, and a soaking wet one previously, well worth it. Never had it on the 3.5, but glad I do now.

911tom

Post by 911tom » Tue Feb 08, 2022 9:07 pm

reg wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 8:36 pm The TC is brilliant. Set on 2-3 it rarely intervenes. Of course off is amusing. On a recent freezing drive, and a soaking wet one previously, well worth it. Never had it on the 3.5, but glad I do now.
Couldn’t agree more with Reg on this. I never thought I wanted traction control but it is so adjustable you can set it to the conditions perfectly. I would not be without it now.

abcoro

Post by abcoro » Wed Feb 09, 2022 11:16 am

911tom wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 9:07 pm
reg wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 8:36 pm The TC is brilliant. Set on 2-3 it rarely intervenes. Of course off is amusing. On a recent freezing drive, and a soaking wet one previously, well worth it. Never had it on the 3.5, but glad I do now.
Couldn’t agree more with Reg on this. I never thought I wanted traction control but it is so adjustable you can set it to the conditions perfectly. I would not be without it now.
Thanks for chiming in guys...so Traction Control is added to my spec 8) !