Manual V Sequential

All things Atomic
Italianpaul

Manual V Sequential

Post by Italianpaul » Mon Dec 20, 2021 10:22 am

Just thought I would help any of you guys trying to decide what to buy yourselves for that special Xmas present that you so deserve after all the hard work you have done this year.

So, a quick recap.

I collected My 4 in March of this year, a manual with 350 upgrade with lots of other goodies. Ran it in like a good boy and then had it serviced at 600 miles. Then let the fun begin!! Booked a few track days( 11 in total) First track day was at Bedford, which turned out to be more of a BMW day with probably most BMW's on PCP's if the way they way they were being driven is anything to go by. I really struggled with the way the turbo came in and the gearbox. The throw was too long on the gearbox and it just didn't seem to suit the engine or car.
Footnote( the factory had fitted the FK8 Acuity Shifter Linkage bushes at the build stage and I fitted the racing detent springs once it had its first service)
The next few tack days(Anglesey, Cadwell, Donnington Croft) were no great improvement on the way the car performed and this was mainly down to me just not liking the gearbox. I though the car was fast, but not super fast.

In May a friend of mine collected his 4, same spec as mine, except Chris had a sequential fitted. I went over to see him the day he got it back home and we went out for a drive. ( Bearing in mind Chris's car had not been run in yet or had its first service)
On the first straight road, Chris took off and I couldn't keep up with him. After the first trip out Chris commented that he had never been in a car as fast acceleration wise. ( This comes from a man having just sold his F12, Hope you don't mind that comment Chris)

So after a few more track days of more disappointments with the car, I decided to bite the bullet and have a sequential fitted, Not a cheap exercise but it was either that or sell the car. I don't like giving up and do like a challenge. So after discussion with Steve at the factory, I took the car down to Crewkerne on the 19th August to have the sequential fitted.

I went down to collect the car on the 7th October and was run though all of the differences between the manual and the sequential.

The first track day was a week later at Cadwell, The weather was great and WOW, what a car. The contrast was phenomenal, the acceleration, smoothness of the gear changes both up and down and the way the power is delivered is so different to the manual. Apparently there is a different engine map for the manual and the sequential, no more power just a different way its delivered.

There have been comments before about how clunky the sequential is at low speeds around town and that reverse is difficult to find.
I can assure you that as long as the clutch is use at low speeds around town its as smooth as a manual, but once its up to speed its fantastic and goes into reverse very easily.

I can hand on heart say that the Sequential has completely transformed the car.( I promise I am not on commission from the factory)

And so if any of you are sitting on the fence, jump off and get a sequential fitted. If still in doubt and you fancy a ride in a car with a sequential both Chris and I will happily take you out for a spin in the new year.

Merry Xmas and a Happy New Year to All of you and you Families.

Hopefully see some of you on track next year.

Paul

AlanP

Re: Manual V Sequential

Post by AlanP » Mon Dec 20, 2021 10:53 am

I bought my car simply because of the box, it totally dominates the whole experience. Good to read that. No idea why reverse is thought a problem, few on here will have driven a sequential Atom, but you just pull the left lever from neutral, never fails.

A
Beautiful 2000 XJR, last ever supercharged Atom, Fiesta Active, 'Verstappen' Honda e, Focus, Jaguar iPace, Volcano Yellow, MSO Black Pack 720S Spider.

robfitz

Post by robfitz » Mon Dec 20, 2021 3:15 pm

Was it much more expensive to retro fit than it cost at build?
GR Yaris CP for when it rains, Atom 4 for when it doesn’t.

Italianpaul

Post by Italianpaul » Mon Dec 20, 2021 4:00 pm

robfitz wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 3:15 pm Was it much more expensive to retro fit than it cost at build?
About 2k more than having it done at initial build, but we'll worth it. This might have changed now due to materials going up. Contact the factory for an updated figure. Had I know the difference it would make to the way the car performed, I would have specified it at the start.

R1SKJ

Post by R1SKJ » Mon Dec 20, 2021 7:18 pm

Will it harm the box if you sometimes forget and depress the clutch? I'm waiting for the R and I was thinking about requesting a manual conversion (if there are no other changes). I just worry I'm going to break it!

911tom

Post by 911tom » Mon Dec 20, 2021 7:33 pm

Go on then, what did it cost? I was going to wait a year at least before going sequential but maybe I should just get it done

Italianpaul

Post by Italianpaul » Mon Dec 20, 2021 7:35 pm

911tom wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 7:33 pm Go on then, what did it cost? I was going to wait a year at least before going sequential but maybe I should just get it done
12k +vat

reg

Post by reg » Sun Jan 16, 2022 5:52 pm

One thing that makes me hold off on the sequential is a. servicing and b. it changes the dynamic of the car. Having drive a couple of sequential boxes on track, they are great. But as a road car it is always egging you on. Also when you just want an easy drive they can really baulk. Sounds like a great idea, but I'm not sure i'll spend enough time on track to justify it? Also. I quite like heal and toe, it's not a bad gearbox, it's just got crap bushings and indent springs. Change those and it's a different experience :D

Cjk507

Post by Cjk507 » Sun Jan 16, 2022 7:22 pm

I’ve got a sequential box on my Atom 4 and I love driving it on the road, it’s easy going up and down the box and very enjoyable when you just want an easy drive, it’s not overly clunky or harsh.When on track it’s completely at home being silky smooth plus changing gear doesn’t upset the balance of the car as the torque can be a handful. I think the box suits the car perfectly as all the ratios are different to the manuals and the engine also runs a different map. If you want to get the most out of your Atom 4 I’d personally recommend the sequential box, plus your more than welcome to come over and I’ll take you out for a drive .

CharlesM505

Post by CharlesM505 » Wed Mar 30, 2022 7:58 am

Interesting to hear this guys, I would definitely be keen to have a ride out with some of you later this year. Currently on the wait list (build for next year so no rush) but could be tempted by a sequential. What are the additional servicing requirements? I'm based in Hertfordshire. Any time you are going out for a drive later this year I would be keen to join!
Wait list for Atom 4, Lotus Exige 420

mynamesnotbob

Post by mynamesnotbob » Wed Mar 30, 2022 12:13 pm

Would love to try the seq box just to try it, I have no doubt its 'better' I'm just happy with the manual for interaction at this stage - spent a few months without a manual car and god I missed it!