So, I ran out of talent at Snetterton!

All things Atomic
RayC

So, I ran out of talent at Snetterton!

Post by RayC » Sat Oct 23, 2021 5:23 pm

Lost the back end at Williams going onto the long straight. I became a passenger instantly and was shot across into the Armco on the right. I "thought" I had been taking it relatively easily, fortunately, no other cars were around. Maybe I got one of the rear tyres on the gravel.

Damage is at 3 corners! and the front, three dents on the chassis where the wheels came in .The chassis does not appear to be bent anywhere. No damage to engine or gear box.

My research indicates that crashed Atoms are very expensive to repair and often written off by insurance companies. Sadly I had no track cover and am now considering my options and hoping for advice. I will take the car to the factory to see what they have to say but am not optimistic.

Does anyone know or have experience on repair/rebuilds ? or Is anyone with the skills interested in buying the damaged car? Anyone need parts ? Engine ?
It is a 2018 3.5 with 2k miles and full service history, was immaculate a few days ago ! Also avaialble are 4 Dymags.(rears with brand new 245 AO 52's not yet fitted).
Attachments
IMG_0693.jpg
IMG_0693.jpg (106.5 KiB) Viewed 2564 times

8_enj

Re: So, I ran out of talent at Snetterton!

Post by 8_enj » Sat Oct 23, 2021 5:32 pm

Hi Ray, sorry to hear and see that! Least you are ok, as you state i think the factory would be best to advise you where you go from here.

All the best with it.

Atlarge

Post by Atlarge » Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:32 am

Hi,

I think a lot rests on the structural integrity of the frame, if it’s essentially ok and not distorted in any way the other bits are relatively replaceable but pretty big ticket items (as are most things from Ariel...). It looks like the impact at the front was fairly left hand side mainly?

If you were lucky, you may get away with new suspension parts, radiator and panels etc. The factory will be your best bet to advise and should give it the initial assessment but I’d expect the repair bill to be significant, unfortunately.

Sorry to hear about your misfortune - interested to know how you get on & hope it goes well!

AlanP

Post by AlanP » Sun Oct 24, 2021 12:01 pm

That is sad to see. A caution for us all I think.
Keep us up to date with how it goes.

Alan
Beautiful 2000 XJR, last ever supercharged Atom, Fiesta Active, 'Verstappen' Honda e, Focus, Jaguar iPace, Volcano Yellow, MSO Black Pack 720S Spider.

Yogiatom

Post by Yogiatom » Sun Oct 24, 2021 12:46 pm

Sorry to hear of your mishap or slight error, at least you are safe. I hope that your car can be repaired.
Good luck for the future.

RayC

Post by RayC » Sun Oct 24, 2021 1:41 pm

Thanks for all the responses xxx.

I plucked up enough courage to have a closer look this morning.
I'm glad I was in this and not my old Caterham...I was quite safe behind the scaffolding bars as the armco approached side on ...the harness buckle sure does dig into your xiphisternum though.
Damage is smashed radiator and front bodywork, both wishbones on front near side ,steering tie rod, rear wheel upright ,rear disc , both wheels , a few chassis dings . Drivers side all ok .
Unfortunately a chassis support cross bar has split where the upperfront wishbone attaches. Looks weldable ..... anyone knows how much a new chassis is ?

In my obvious shocked state ...drove off afterwards with the trailer handbrake on !!!....4 new wheel brake drum /bearings hub units lol

Off to Crewkerne after I get that fixed.

tuckercj

Post by tuckercj » Sun Oct 24, 2021 1:52 pm

Hi Ray,

I have private messaged you about the Atom

Cheers,

Colin

John Scherrer
Global Moderator

Post by John Scherrer » Sun Oct 24, 2021 2:52 pm

Looks weldable ..... anyone knows how much a new chassis is ?

Almost 10 years ago, Tom quoted someone £18,000 + VAT .. hopefully yours is repairable.
( I think that cost included removing all ancillaries and replacing the good parts back onto the new chassis - the broken parts required would be extra)

Don't accept any silly offers for the car as it is without speaking to the factory first.
Atom 3 310 Supercharged (2011), Now Sold

dooke2000

Post by dooke2000 » Sat Oct 30, 2021 10:45 am

Hi Ray,

I saw your car down at the Ariel factory, sad to see and hear about.

At least you are okay and not damaged.

With insurance you would have had to pay around £10,000 towards repair (in my experience with track damaged cars).

This sort of thing can catch any of us out on track. I hope the cost of repair is better than you think.

Best of luck.
Corvette 74 big block, Mustang Cobra Terminator, Focus RS mk3, Nissan GTR, Maserati Gran turismo mc sport.

RayC

Post by RayC » Mon Nov 01, 2021 11:44 am

Hi Folks,

Thanks for all the kind and helpful comments/information.
In the end I decided I couldn't deal with the prolonged trauma of repairing the car so I did my sums ...bent over and took the hit and sold the "wreck" .
If anyone finds themselves in a similar situation ...hopefully not but bound to happen ...I'll hapily share what I learnt.
Looking for a 4 now ....maybe not leant enough lol

Hedge

Post by Hedge » Mon Nov 01, 2021 11:49 am

Quite "brave" of you to post, following an incident such as yours. Most don't, for a number of reasons.

I'd say the majority of times I've been down at the factory over all these years, there's invariably a wreck or two tucked away.

Good luck finding another car.

Cheers,
Hedge

Joshn

Post by Joshn » Tue Nov 02, 2021 1:40 am

I might have interest in the wheels, now that you mentioned them.

It would be better to repair and get back on the road though and put those wheels to good use. Good luck with whatever path you choose

JT1020

Post by JT1020 » Fri Jul 15, 2022 7:44 pm

Hey, this wouldn’t happen to be the 18 plate Atom with blue panels by any chance?

JT1020

Post by JT1020 » Fri Jul 15, 2022 7:47 pm

Ok, I have just seen the feed, and realised the car had been fully repaired with a new chassis and other parts needed by Ariel and I now own it. She is doing well and being cared for. 👍🏼

RayC

Post by RayC » Sat Jul 16, 2022 4:45 pm

Glad to hear she is continuing to give pleasure …hopefully like all our exes lol.
The guy who bought it fitted a new chassis and had it all checked out and set up by Ariel so it’s as good as can be
I still miss the supercharger scream …but had a good reason to get a 4 which I love.