Removable steering wheel

Feel free to talk about all things Atom in this board.
Bill

Removable steering wheel

Post by Bill » Sat Apr 25, 2020 2:45 pm

Note the posting ref the removable steering wheel as an option I have both an Atom and a Morgan Three Wheeler The Atom has a fixed wheel and the Morgan a removable wheel which I personally never remove.The Morgan is a much tighter cockpit than the Atom and I’am about 6ft 2in tall and in my mid sixties ! Getting in and out is never a problem with either car. My personal view is the removable wheel is an expensive option and serves no purpose other than aesthetics. Aesthetics aside I’am a firm believer in steering having the minimum number of joints and overtime slack does develop in the splines

Hedge

Re: Removable steering wheel

Post by Hedge » Sat Apr 25, 2020 5:28 pm

Bill wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 2:45 pmMy personal view is the removable wheel is an expensive option and serves no purpose other than aesthetics
Interesting. So you don't believe it gives any security benefit(s) then?

Cheers,
Hedge

Bill

Post by Bill » Sat Apr 25, 2020 6:35 pm

Hedge Ref post it’s very rare either car is parked away from home, out of my sight. I have a collection of vintage vehicles and some can’t be locked so I am careful when the vehicles are away from home. With cars such as an Atom car thief’s tend to be professional and resourceful. A thief who has targeted a car like an Atom won’t be bothered by an immobiliser or a removable steering wheel. The car will not be driven away it will be winched onto a trailer or lifted into the back of a box van. Regards

AlanP

Post by AlanP » Sun Apr 26, 2020 9:09 am

I know I've said it before but I'm quite certain you're massively more likely to get the steering wheel nicked than to get the car stolen when it otherwise wouldn't have been. I got the 'security' removable stereo faceplate stolen from my Griffith 500 when outside a mates house for 10 minutes long ago.
My own fault really, it was Uxbridge...

A
Beautiful 2000 XJR, last ever supercharged Atom, Fiesta Active, 'Verstappen' Honda e, Focus, Jaguar iPace, Volcano Yellow, MSO Black Pack 720S Spider.

AlanP

Post by AlanP » Sun Apr 26, 2020 9:13 am

Bill, interesting car choice, if I were suddenly too old for the Atom a new Morgan 3 wheeler is exactly what I would replace it with.

A
Beautiful 2000 XJR, last ever supercharged Atom, Fiesta Active, 'Verstappen' Honda e, Focus, Jaguar iPace, Volcano Yellow, MSO Black Pack 720S Spider.