Atom 4 Purchase - suspension ?

Feel free to talk about all things Atom in this board.
Lo2zz

Atom 4 Purchase - suspension ?

Post by Lo2zz » Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:48 pm

Hello Ariel people,

I'm tempted to put a deposit down on an Atom 4 to replace my Exige v6 in 2.5 years

Has anyone made that change? If so how did you find the two different cars? I have a civic type R as a daily so I'm familiar with the engine in the Atom 4

My main question is around how necessary the suspension upgrades are on the atom 4? From personal experience I know the benefits of bilsteins and ohlins, so I'm not asking about the value of those suspension settings but rather is the std suspension so bad that its mandatory for the bilsteins or ohlins?

Car won't be used on track, I will push the car though. Essentially I want a car that transitions to oversteer easily and controllably - so will definitely spec the LSD but currently querying the suspension

Has anyone heard the decat exhaust with the 350bhp kit? I want that kit but a bit concerned how the exhaust sounds with a decat - as the std Honda engine (admittedly in a civic) sounds terrible

Many thanks!

Mike

wasp

Re: Atom 4 Purchase - suspension ?

Post by wasp » Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:39 am

Hi Mike,

I've had 2 Atoms previously and have a new 4 on order. I use mine both on track and road.

For fast road use I would buy the 1 way adjustable Bilsteins (the cheapest optional suspension) as it will give you a great balance on road, will easily be flexible enough for track use (you must try it on track at least once!) and will be very helpful for you when the time comes to sell the car.

If you have never driven an Atom before, I'd genuinely suggest not going for the 350 kit initially and adding it on your annual service. It won't cost you any more money, will allow you time to see one with the exhaust you're interested in, get feedback from others who have it and make it feel like a new car again in year 2!

If you look on YouTube, Ariel posted a vid last summer with the sports exhaust which will give you an idea of what to expect.

It always comes as a surprise to potential new owners but the Factory are incredibly helpful with information. They never try to sell you upgrades, infact I'd say the opposite. They genuinely will help you spec the car that suits your needs the best.

Cheers,
Stu

Peter255

Post by Peter255 » Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:41 am

Mike,

Agree 100% with Stu tbh.

Also its not the decat that makes the biggest difference to the noise. Its the back box / silencer design mainly. You need to hear the standard and sports silencers for yourself to decide. For purely road work the sports silencer is probably sensible. It is usually a bit loud for the track though.

If you have not owned an Atom getting the 320 model initially and looking to upgrade to 350 later makes good sense. I would add that the 350 kit is rather pricey in my opinion, but each to their own.

I can't wait for my car later this summer. :vroom:

Peter
Atom 4, Clio v6, & some other cars obviously.

HenryJS

Post by HenryJS » Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:34 am

Lo2zz,

The standard shocks will be perfect for your use.

They are a little softer than the upgraded options, which means the car will be more 'forgiving'.
The limit of mechanical grip will be lower, however the line between 'in control' and 'out of control' is much broader than say that of the 2 way Bilsteins with the damping set firmly...