I wonder if the Atom 4 would outpace this on track

Everything else to do with the Ariel Atom (including much of the old AAOC forum)
simonrhart
Centurian
Centurian

I wonder if the Atom 4 would outpace this on track

Post by simonrhart » Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:17 pm

I've always thought of a Radical and this one is quite a good deal https://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds ... eo/7903773

I am curious though whether the 4 would be quicker than this around the track - any UK track. What are your thoughts on this?

Simon

phil4
Administrator
Administrator

Re: I wonder if the Atom 4 would outpace this on track

Post by phil4 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:23 pm

It'd depend on the track and driver.

That car has aero in abundance... give it a track with high speed turns and a driver with big b*lls and it'll be a lot quicker than an Atom 3.5R or 4.

But on a slower track, no it wouldn't.

That being said, remember the Ariel tag line "Serious Fun™", it's not exactly about absolute lap times. It's not set a new Nurburgring record. It's about having some proper fun.

simonrhart
Centurian
Centurian

Post by simonrhart » Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:33 pm

Snetterton - as it's my local. Fast track not particularly technical. Example of the RSX here at Snetterton 300: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Ch8nH6BxsA

The kid in me sometimes does wonder whether I'd have more fun/joy in something like this or a Ultima Evo. This car comes with the sequential gearbox too.

Simon

Preseh

Post by Preseh » Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:01 pm

As mentioned, aero is the key factor and the Radical will most probably walk all over the Atom on high speed tracks. It depends on your usage though - if you're using the Atom for normal track days then I reckon the Atom is spot on for the fun factor.

As for the Ultima, I heard that the older car's chassis wasn't good enough for the power they usually have but they might have fixed that in the Evo. I ended up going for a deposit on the Atom 4 because my mechanical knowledge isn't great and I know with the Ultima I'd probably spend a good amount of time on the hard shoulder :laugh:

simonrhart
Centurian
Centurian

Post by simonrhart » Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:07 am

All 3 are very good cars. It depends on cost of the 4 with the sequential box and all the other bits that are unknown at the moment. Having to tow the car to the track is a bit of a pain but that said I will end up doing this with the Atom anyway when going overseas i.e. Spa.

I decided against the Ultima for now just because I don't have the bandwidth to spend 500hrs building it.