Cold and old

Feel free to talk about all things Atom in this board.
Winmoz

Cold and old

Post by Winmoz » Sat Oct 20, 2018 4:32 pm

If there is one “comfort” option I wish the factory would offer, it would be a heated steering wheel. Now before you all scoff and call me a pampered softy, picture this.
The alarm rings. 6:30am. Late September. Ambient temp 3C, weather crisp and dry. Perfect Sunday morning driving time.
Out of bed, to the garage, into the car and a quick (ahem) 60 minutes of machine centred messing around takes place.
But it is a little bit chilly. That cup of tea you had before leaving the house has made its way to your bladder and is keen to make an exit.
So car back in garage and into house.
Now the tricky part. You’re wearing button fly 501s cos you’re an old fool. And because it was cold out there and your dashing Sparco racing driver’s gloves are designed for grip and not burning, rather then being warm, your hands are not working, you can’t actually undo your flies.
Do you grip,the heated towel rail and hope you can blast some feeling back into your mitts before your bladder control is defeated?
Or do you wake your wife and ask her to help you out of a tight spot (knowing that the cost could be high)?
or climb into the shower and let the warm water absolve you?
or more probably hop from one leg to another whilst desperately trying to get your hands to do your bidding in time?

So just imagine if you could avoid all of this. Early morning autumnal drives would no longer need to end in hook handed bathroom dances, if only heated steering wheels were a thing for Atoms. Oh well.

Guess I’ll have to go and buy a pair of heated motorcycle gloves. Any recommendations?

Hedge

Re: Cold and old

Post by Hedge » Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:08 pm

Buy warmer gloves/ mittens? That’s what I did.

Just a thought.

Cheers,
Hedge

Peter255

Post by Peter255 » Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:13 pm

Winter waterproof gloves and disposable handwarmers in the palms for really cold days.

Works a treat, and no cables. :tu:
Atom 4, Clio v6, & some other cars obviously.

Karl V

Post by Karl V » Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:56 pm

I think you've answered your own question - hot tea... through bladder... wanting to make an exit...

Why not wee on your hands? Works for jellyfish stings (apparently).

Seriously though, try a pair of those mechanics disposable gloves under your Sparcos.

Warning: they can make your hands quite sweaty 'cos the latex doesn't allow your skin to breathe.

phil4

Post by phil4 » Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:44 pm

Karl V wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:56 pm Seriously though, try a pair of those mechanics disposable gloves under your Sparcos.
Also good if it's raining and you're going to/getting wet. For warmth, I've got some Keis gloves, and on the motorbike, heated grips.